PDA

View Full Version : S1 firmware wish list

lowkl
07-27-2004, 09:07 AM
With the recent release of the firmware update, it got me thinking of what else Canon could do to make an already great camera simply superb.

A simple but highly appreciated thing for me would be a setting somewhere that could set the aspect ratio to fit standard prints (R4, R5 and the like). One of the many things I like about having a superzoom is the ability to frame my shots really tightly. When I see the shots onscreen they look great; but when I send them for printing at the corner photofinishing place, they either give me a cropped image or whitespace.

Ugh!

... also maybe reducing the grain at a high ISO (film speed) setting, if possible.

Thots, anyone?

Ghostrider
08-22-2004, 02:08 PM
Lowkl, how do you check what firmware version you have on a S1? Where do you get the upgrade and how do you install it? I have an S1 and the manual does not mention anything about this. Thanks......

Rhys
08-22-2004, 02:28 PM
Lowkl, how do you check what firmware version you have on a S1? Where do you get the upgrade and how do you install it? I have an S1 and the manual does not mention anything about this. Thanks......

Good question. I checked my S1 and can't see anything in the manual or on the Canon website about how to identify firmware or how to install new firmware. I do know there's a fix for a focus problem. I believe the muddiness in some pictures is more of a focus problem than of a coding problem.

propwash
08-22-2004, 10:09 PM
I don't have an S1 (yet!!) but I have been doing some checking. I did see a reference to a firmware update, and I found the info on Canon's web site. The main thing the firmware update is supposed to do is to correct a problem where the viewfinder freezes up when the shutter button is depressed halfway. I think, but I can't remember for sure, that it said if you have a black dot on the inside of the CF door, then the camera does have the firmware update. If not, the update is available on their web site. I'll try and find the exact address and post it here. The update procedure is fairly complicated, and it must be done on the same computer on which you download the update. You also have to enter the camera's serial number on their site before you can do the download. After you enter the S/N, it will tell you if your camera needs the firmware update, or if it already has it. Hope this helps.

val
08-23-2004, 12:35 AM
http://web.canon.jp/Imaging/pss1is/firmware-e.html

I'm thinking of buying a S1 IS. But in my country it's 1000$ !!! I'll try to get it from USA (with less than $400).

For those who have installed the firmware - any change in the freezing/focus problem ?

Val

Rhys
08-23-2004, 07:17 AM
http://web.canon.jp/Imaging/pss1is/firmware-e.html

I'm thinking of buying a S1 IS. But in my country it's 1000$ !!! I'll try to get it from USA (with less than $400).

For those who have installed the firmware - any change in the freezing/focus problem ?

Val

Hmm. The instructions on the Canon website are not exactly what I'd call clear. No indication of which file to put into the directory tree (I'd guess it's the FIR file) and no indication as to where in the tree to put it.

As I can't see a problem with my S1, I shan't be bothering with the upgrade. I did find mine is not an upgraded S1 though.

Ghostrider
08-23-2004, 08:45 AM
Thanks for all the info with which I was able to update the firmware on my S1. For some reason you cannot just copy the update files to your Cf card. You have to unpack the files and connect your S1 to the computer via usb. You then run the unpacked update command which loads the Cf card. You then put the CF card in your camera and, if you did everything right, "Firm. Update" will appear on the menu. You simply select OK and the update begins. It will complete in about 2 minutes. I have not used the camera much since so I can't report on any improvements. There may not be any noticeable changes but I always like to have the latest drivers when possible, know what I mean?

lowkl
08-23-2004, 09:32 AM
The firmware upgrade for me was worth it. That momentary freeze when focus-locking may not be bothersome when taking planned shots, but when taking candid or high-action pictures, I find it invaluable.

The forum archives under DPReview gave a suggestion that makes this improvement pretty redundant, though. By setting the instant review to zero (equivalent to off), I can still get an instant review if I want it by keeping the shutter release fully depressed after a shot. Combining this with *not* fully releasing the shutter button after a shot keeps focus and exposure lock and can take another shot virtually immediately. Now the S1 is truly a action photographer's tool!

I think the way Canon did the upgrade process is a good idea. By "taking over" the CF card, there is no way someone could place the file in the wrong place. Also by loading the upgrade on the CF and upgrading from there, it substantially reduces the chance of failure. PCs are so unreliable.....

Rhys
08-23-2004, 01:09 PM
The firmware upgrade for me was worth it. That momentary freeze when focus-locking may not be bothersome when taking planned shots, but when taking candid or high-action pictures, I find it invaluable.

The forum archives under DPReview gave a suggestion that makes this improvement pretty redundant, though. By setting the instant review to zero (equivalent to off), I can still get an instant review if I want it by keeping the shutter release fully depressed after a shot. Combining this with *not* fully releasing the shutter button after a shot keeps focus and exposure lock and can take another shot virtually immediately. Now the S1 is truly a action photographer's tool!

I think the way Canon did the upgrade process is a good idea. By "taking over" the CF card, there is no way someone could place the file in the wrong place. Also by loading the upgrade on the CF and upgrading from there, it substantially reduces the chance of failure. PCs are so unreliable.....

Unreliable? Certainly Windows 95/98/SE/ME were apallingly crash-prone. I agree that cables and software are not a good way of transferring data between PC and camera. In terms of reliability, I've been running XP Pro for about a year now and it has only crashed twice. Both times it was entirely my fault because I had set recursive thread creation in one of my programs that just didn't clear and free the memory when the program terminated.

John_Reed
08-23-2004, 03:38 PM
Unreliable? Certainly Windows 95/98/SE/ME were apallingly crash-prone. I agree that cables and software are not a good way of transferring data between PC and camera. In terms of reliability, I've been running XP Pro for about a year now and it has only crashed twice. Both times it was entirely my fault because I had set recursive thread creation in one of my programs that just didn't clear and free the memory when the program terminated.I would love to have seen if Canon did anything about that clarity issue we were discussing and just kind of "sneaked in" a fix for it. :(

buzz
08-26-2004, 04:13 PM
How about an interval shooting setting below 1 minute?