PDA

View Full Version : Help Shooting Snow Pics

Joe Davis
02-01-2007, 11:06 AM
Hello All,

Was wondering if somebody could give me some pointers on shooting pictures with snow in the background. A lot of birds come to my backyard to feed on the seed I put out and I have been trying to zoom in and shoot them from the inside but the pics come out kind of greyish. Not vibrant or vivid at all. I have seen some beautiful pictures of cardinals and blue jays against the white snow and that is what I am trying to do. Can somebody suggest settings? I am using a Pentax K10D with Sigma 170-500 5.6 telephoto on a tripod with a remote release.

Thanks

RichNY
02-01-2007, 01:08 PM
I'm not familiar with how to do it on a Pentax but you need to increase the exposure from what the camera is metering.

You will most likely need to increase your exposure by 2 stops to 1.5 stops. If you have a histogram view it after taking the picture to see if you've increased the exposure too much and have blown out the hightlights.

Grey Snow+ Increased Exposure= Nice White Snow....+ too much exposure= Blown out details and just white 'blob' snow

Joe Davis
02-01-2007, 05:32 PM
Are you talking about f stop?

Thanks for the reply.

RichNY
02-01-2007, 07:30 PM
Are you talking about f stop?

Thanks for the reply.

If you are shooting in the Manual mode then you can either set the f/stop to be 2 stops bigger (smaller f/stop) or increase the shutter speed by 2 stops from what the camera meter tells you to do.

I shoot with a Canon 30D and very often will shoot in AperturePriority mode. The 30D has a small wheel where I can increase or decrease the exposure by up to 2 stops while leaving the f/stop as I originally selected and keeping the shutter speed that the camera meter picked (which would give me the grey snow like you had)

Joe Davis
02-02-2007, 05:54 AM
Thanks for the reply Rich. I figured fstop meant exposure but wanted to make sure. I am slowly figuring this stuff out but the terminology still stumps me sometimes.

I appreciate your help. A couple other websites are brutal to newbies. One website told me that if I did not know what exposure meant I shouldn't be into photography. I guess he was born with the knowledge. :D

Thanks again.

-Joe
TigerActionPhotos.com

SpecialK
02-02-2007, 10:40 PM
Thanks for the reply Rich. I figured fstop meant exposure but wanted to make sure. I am slowly figuring this stuff out but the terminology still stumps me sometimes.

I appreciate your help. A couple other websites are brutal to newbies. One website told me that if I did not know what exposure meant I shouldn't be into photography. I guess he was born with the knowledge. :D

Some confusion can be due to the presentation, such as "set the f/stop to be 2 stops bigger (smaller f/stop)" - sorry, Rich, I knew what ya meant :-)

Bigger aperture = more light = smaller f number.

Three parts to exposure - ISO, aperture and shutter.

Many say this book is excellent (I just ordered it as well as another) and it may be useful to you:
http://www.amazon.com/Understanding-Exposure-Photographs-Digital-Updated/dp/0817463003/ref=pd_ys_qtk_rvi_img/002-7117999-0909647