PDA

View Full Version : E-10, 4GB Ultimate 133X Compact Flash Card

Ringmaster
01-31-2007, 12:25 AM
I have the Olympus Camedia E-10, SLR Digital Camera.

Does anyone know if the Kingston 4GB Ultimate 133X Compact Flash Card will work in this camera.

I'm assuming the Camera might not abel the 133X processing, but I don't know if it can or can not. This would be okay with me, but I would like to have the 4GB Capacity.

Any comments? I need a quick response, because I only have a few days left before I can return the Compact Flash Cards.

Thanks,

fotogmarc
02-18-2007, 01:40 AM
Sorry, I didn't give you a speedy response. Hope I can still help.
The E-10 is an old camera by Digi-cam standards, but having a faster card would not change anything for your camera, if anything it would be overkill as the E-10 does not need that kind of speed for processing pics. Those faster cards are meant for today's hig res cameras. The important thing to look into; is the card CF I or CF II? You'll have to see what your camera takes. If you can get it at a great price; go for it. You may be able to use it for your next camera. However, if you want to save some money get a slower card.

Ringmaster
02-18-2007, 02:26 AM
fotomark, thanks for your response.

I guess you probably know I paid almost $2000.00 for the E-10, now it's only worth about $250.00 as a "trade-in"; but, we know how fast digital is progressing. I feel like Olympus should provide for "some" upgrades for their SLR camera series. I don't expect major up-grades such as interchangeable lenses, but it seems like they could at least up-grade for additional memory capability.

The camera takes great pictures, so I guess I'll just keep it. I wasn't really to concerned about "speed", when I ordered the card; I was more interested in additional memory.

By the way, (this is probably a dumb question), what is the difference between a CF-I and CF-II card?

kgosden
02-18-2007, 10:24 AM
Compact Flash cards come in three different types I, II & III, as do PCMCIA cards. In fact except for size the two card standards are nearly identical with CF cards providing the same pinouts as PCMCIA cards. That is one reason why CF to PCMCIA adapters are so cheap; all they are is a connector adapter with no electronics. The different type specifications are related to card thickness. The type I are the skinniest and the type III the thickest. Most of the type II cards are microdrives which contain moving hard disks. You rarely see type III cards. In the old days type III PCMCIA cards were Ethernet adapters with built in full sized RJ connectors like the Xircom Realport series or hard drives like the Viper series.

In CF you may also see some listed as type I or II plus. This generally denotes a card that is normal thickness, but longer than the standard. Examples inclue most of the RF cards with antenna extensions as well as some that are adapters for xD, SD or other memory formats. These will only work in devices that do not require a card door to be closed behind the card.

Ringmaster
02-18-2007, 03:11 PM
Hey Guys,

Thanks for the information. I checked my Manual, under the Specifications, and my E-10 will accept both the CF-I and CF-II, as well as the "Smart Media" cards. So I'm okay for now.

fotogmarc
02-19-2007, 12:32 AM
Hope I didn't offend with the "old camera" remark. I know how you feel I purchased a Canon Powershot G3 back when they cost $800, today for $200 less than that I picked up th E-500 with the dual lenses. I still feel the G3 takes some of the best macro shots out there, but like all high tech products there's no retaining it's value.

Cheers

Ringmaster
02-19-2007, 02:44 AM
Photogmarc

Didn't even "pick-up" on it. It is an "old camera" by todays standards, but it really does take "great pictures". Look at the attached photo taken of a Sunset on Lake Erie.

I have many "Hobbies", and I don't think any of them have created an "Expert" (Yet).

I'm really not a "Photographer", but I like to take pictures.

My main hobby is restoring old LP Phonograph records; so far, I've made over 300 CD's, and each CD holds two LP albums. My interests include "Bluegrass", and everything up to and including "Opera Arias", and "Light Classical".

I've just purchased a 750 GB external Hard Drive; now I'm trying to set-up a Music Media Library. I've had to delete my Library and start over again two times, because I tried to use different database search programs....I think I've almost got it figured out!

Wish me luck!

Best Regards

fotogmarc
02-19-2007, 09:29 PM
Great shot.
One of the reasons I picked up the E-500 was to be able to make larger prints. I figure, why hang someone else's art on my walls when I can put up my own. I still have alot to learn. I can take some good panoramic shots as well as macros, but those are no brainers. I need to learn to see the scenes that exist between those two.

Good luck with the re-mastering