PDA

View Full Version : Lens suggestions - Central Florida holliday

ejm
01-30-2007, 03:46 PM
Greetings

My wife and I are flying to Ft Meyers and than getting a rental car to drive on to the Polk City-Orlando area in a couple of weeks. I have an XTI and am new to the DSLR field and not that experienced with digital photography. In addition to the XTI I have the kit lens 18-55, 50mm 1.8 a Tamron 28-300 macro(not DI) and a few handed down extras.

What lens would be reccommended? I hope to get a lot of wildlife photography in and some landscape. Am I correct in assuming that I would get a lot better results with a Canon IS lens? I am thinking of renting locally down there and they may have 100-400 IS or 70-300 IS.

Please feel free to contribute any suggestions on which lens, tripods, locations etc that would be reccommended.

Thanks in advance

EJM

coldrain
02-02-2007, 11:37 AM
Wildlife means tele, so at least 300m would be worthwhile. I am not sure if you can actually rent a 70-300 IS USM... I guess most rent lenses would be L lenses. The 70-300 IS USM would be a worthwhile adition to your lens park though. Your 28-300 Tamron is not half as sharp and contrasty at 300m as that Canon.

IS is helpful in long focal ranges to reduce camera shake that hows up more clearly with long tele stuff. It also can be handy in museums that allow non flash photography in shorter focal ranges.

Landscape of course will mean trying to capture views, and there wide is often wanted. 18mm is moderately wide, and if you stop down the kitlens to f8-f14 you will be able to get some quite good results.

If you want a lens with more width, better colour and contrast, look at the Tokina 12-24mm f4, Canon EF-S 10-22mm f3.5-4.5 or the Sigma 10-20mm.

Rontech1
02-02-2007, 06:41 PM
Wildlife means tele, so at least 300m would be worthwhile. I am not sure if you can actually rent a 70-300 IS USM... I guess most rent lenses would be L lenses. The 70-300 IS USM would be a worthwhile adition to your lens park though. Your 28-300 Tamron is not half as sharp and contrasty at 300m as that Canon.

IS is helpful in long focal ranges to reduce camera shake that hows up more clearly with long tele stuff. It also can be handy in museums that allow non flash photography in shorter focal ranges.

Landscape of course will mean trying to capture views, and there wide is often wanted. 18mm is moderately wide, and if you stop down the kitlens to f8-f14 you will be able to get some quite good results.

If you want a lens with more width, better colour and contrast, look at the Tokina 12-24mm f4, Canon EF-S 10-22mm f3.5-4.5 or the Sigma 10-20mm.
ejm,
Yeah you can rent a 70-300IS. Try www.lensrentals.com. Great people to deal with!
Link: http://www.lensrentals.com/item/canon-70-300mm-f4.5-5.6-is
Coldrain is right (IMHO) that you would like the 70-300IS. The 70-300 is most likely one of the best combo's with an XT/XTi that you can find for the money.
Putting the 70-300 IS with what you have now, the kit lens and the nifty fifty, you can cover most all scenarios that you would run into.
My work mate has the Tamron 28-300 with an XT, and thinks the 70-300 IS is much better, after seeing some of the pics we have taken.. Not dissing the Tamron, just speaking facts!:)
As for the 100-400L, I just rented the 100-400 IS and it IS awesome. But the price may scare you if you get addicted to it-$1400.00 average. BUT, I think this is the lens I want for my needs.
However, the 70-300 IS takes some pictures that are almost worthy of being an L lens!!!! (again IMHO) And I am not sure that the L is worth the extra money overall. But I have some speciallised reasons for looking at this lens (100-400L).
So, what it boils down to is that if you want some advice about what lens to get- try the 70-300 IS. Once you try IS on a lens you will find( at least I did ) that the extra bucks are worth it, and the 70-300IS is a BARGAIN.;)
Just my .02,
Ron

ejm
02-04-2007, 12:09 PM
Thanks for the replies and the great input.

I ran into a slight problem renting a lens as we are Canadians and not US residents. There is a technicality with rentglass.com but Brian is trying to resolve this.

I will go with the 70-300 IS if this works out and this will be a great opportunity to try out the lens. I hope to fill up our laptop with wildlife pictures during our stay.

Lensrentals.com were very helpful but I will be within a few miles of rentglass.com during the trip and will be able to pick up the lens in person.

We will be landing at Ft Meyers, staying around St petersburg and traveling to Polk City/Orlando. Any location tips for these areas would be more than welcome.

Thanks & regards
EJM