PDA

View Full Version : What firewall is better to install?

willmiller
01-23-2007, 09:39 AM
I have the firewall that came with my windows xp. (http://nba.sports-sport.info/history-nba.html) I want a better one. (http://nba.sports-sport.info/lakers-nba.html) What is a VERY good firewall i can download and use for free that dosen't slow down my computer?
:( (http://nba.sports-sport.info/index7.html)

jcon
01-23-2007, 07:23 PM
I think you would be better served finding a site thats directed at that specific topic, this is photography, but anyway, I would suggest Norton Internet Security. Its got anti-virus and firewall and everything you need to be protected online. Its made by Symantec, its the best out there, hands down!

Its not free but if you want the best, you gotta pay for it, I believe its around $60.

There are free programs out there but they dont do the job Norton does.

For more detailed info on this topic, find a firewall/antivirus site.

Rhys
01-24-2007, 08:09 AM
I think you would be better served finding a site thats directed at that specific topic, this is photography, but anyway, I would suggest Norton Internet Security. Its got anti-virus and firewall and everything you need to be protected online. Its made by Symantec, its the best out there, hands down!

Its not free but if you want the best, you gotta pay for it, I believe its around $60.

There are free programs out there but they dont do the job Norton does.

For more detailed info on this topic, find a firewall/antivirus site.

I would absolutely avoid anything by Symmantec. It's a resource hog that will slow your computer down for no real reason and no real benefits. The only times I've had viruses has been when I've used Norton antivirus. The only way I found out - the computer was doing strange things so I ran a full Norton scan that discovered nothing. Suspecting a virus (and yes - Norton was up to date with the updates) I downloaded AVG antivirus and within a minute or so of a full system scan it had found the virus which was quite an elderly virus that had been around for a couple of years. So much for Norton. I used to use Norton for everything but it's just become poorly-performing bloatware over the past 10 years.

I would suggest trusting XP's firewall. It's not the best but it's pretty decent. It does exactly what it says on the tin. All you need do is to configure it. If you must get a downloaded firewall then I suggest either Zone Alarm or Outpost.

jcon
01-24-2007, 11:59 AM
I assume you have a somewhat descent computer? I have been using Norton products(Internet Security, Ghost, Go Back and Partition Magic) for a very long time and its NEVER slowed down my computer at all. I find it amusing that you say it didnt notice an older type virus. I also assume you know that when you do have a virus, the first thing it goes after is your virus protection software, so it probably did something so it wouldnt recognize it during scans.

I think your personal experience and comments dont really tell the truth on how good Norton really is.

Anyway, this discussion really doesnt belong on this site, Ive said my peace and I will leave it at that.

To the OP, Windows Defender is free and does the basics, you could give that a try.

Elisha
01-24-2007, 12:17 PM
i hear Panda Platinum is pretty good.
but i personally only use the XP one and i have a router as well.
for AV i use AVG but i hear Avast is decent too.

Rhys
01-24-2007, 04:39 PM
To the OP, Windows Defender is free and does the basics, you could give that a try.

Not any more. It's on sale in Best Buy. I saw it there a few days ago.

jcon
01-24-2007, 08:34 PM
Not any more. It's on sale in Best Buy. I saw it there a few days ago.

Still free from Microsoft.com....

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=435bfce7-da2b-4a6a-afa4-f7f14e605a0d&displaylang=en

T06
01-26-2007, 04:09 PM
Honest opinion is Norton sucks. I did have the latest & greatest = fastest & speediest at the time & in the end I came to the conclusion that Norton really was my lack of speed culprit. Windows XP firewall with Zone Alarm & configured properly is some pretty good stuff for FREE.:)

Cstrikedish
01-28-2007, 11:09 PM
ZoneAlarm protects your Internet connection from hackers and other security breaches for Internet users. This free program includes four interlocking security services: a firewall, an application control, an Internet lock, and Zones. The firewall controls the door to your computer and allows only traffic you understand and initiate. The application control allows you to decide which applications can and cannot use the Internet. The Internet lock blocks Internet traffic while your computer is unattended or while you're not using the Internet, and it can be activated automatically with your computer's screensaver or after a set period of inactivity.

Hope this helps.
:p

Riley
01-29-2007, 02:13 AM
forget Norton it sucks, its simply uncontrollable at times

virtually all the well known firewalls have been penetrated by hackers or coders, if you use something a bit off-beat you are safer.

have a look for Kerio 2.1.4, its free and its older but well configured, and has an intuitive port management system

jcon
02-02-2007, 03:49 PM
forget Norton it sucks, its simply uncontrollable at times

Any facts and or hands on experience to back that up?

have a look for Kerio 2.1.4, its free and its older but well configured, and has an intuitive port management system

So does Norton Internet Security.

Riley
02-02-2007, 05:43 PM
Any facts and or hands on experience to back that up?

certainly, i was an irc op for a year on a video chat site, where we would have to try get people connected. Whenever Norton would update itself, it seemed to change some settings. For about six months I began to notice it would change the time/day/date. As java needs the time/date to be the same as your region, the connection wouldnt succeed. Every operator there would start with the line ... "Do you have Norton...."

I have seen for myself it uses way too much cpu power. And in the end, it didnt save them from viral threats, hack events, trojans writing home.
I found that commonly, people didnt know how to manage the software. That they found it too complicated. If you cant control the software you have, it is useless to you.

Finally when I contacted Norton about these issues, they never answered me back.

jcon
02-02-2007, 06:48 PM
Fair enough and point taken. I do agree, it sometimes makes decisions on its own and blocks some programming from running, such as video conferences and chats. Its happened to me, so I simply went into the Intrusion Detection settings and allowed the programs it had blocked.

As for the trojans, when I first installed Norton NIS it located and deleted a trojan that I had from back in my KaZaA days:o

I will admit, Norton System Works is worthless software that DOES bog down your system, but I have had no problems with NIS and I dont run the best computer ever made either, just a basic 1.7GHz and 1.5Gig of RAM and it works just fine and speed is great.

I'm not saying this directly at you Riley, but maybe its too complicated for some people to use.

On a side note, NIS gives me warnings and logs anytime someone tries to access or "hack" my computer and shows me the IP#. I also have my address double routed. Norton does have some pretty nifty features!

Me personally, I dont trust free software.

Riley
02-02-2007, 06:58 PM
by far the nicest security is to situate the windows box the other side of a linux hardware firewall like IPCOP, but it is a little bit complex to setup (because you have to network the two boxes together) and requires using a low end PC. Then the only threats are email stuff etc. They just cant see the windows box on the other side to be able to map to it.

Rhys
02-02-2007, 08:13 PM
Or you could use a router with its built-in firewall.

jcon
02-02-2007, 08:29 PM
Or you could use a router with its built-in firewall.

Thats what I currently use and have my own little network set-up.

roofie
02-18-2007, 10:26 AM
Norton line of product = horrible
Symantec corporate = good

;)

For firewall I'd say Outpost, best in the buisness. and if you don't want to pay try kerio or fiding an old copy of sygate.

Rhys
02-18-2007, 04:13 PM
Norton line of product = horrible
Symantec corporate = good

;)

For firewall I'd say Outpost, best in the buisness. and if you don't want to pay try kerio or fiding an old copy of sygate.

Zone Alarm is pretty good. Nothing by Symantec even the corporate is much good. It eats up system resources until the system is terribly slow.