PDA

View Full Version : Look at what a linear polarizer can do

nap
01-21-2007, 07:51 AM
without

with

I was in a car shooting through the windshield. The car was under direct intense sunlight (around 12 noon) and the windshield was hazy.

p.du.v
01-21-2007, 08:09 AM
That's haaawt!
Arrrgh so can't wait for all my gear to arrive!

I was planning to head out bush this weekend to try the stuff out and do a bunch of comparison shots just like nap here, but it's going to be 39 cel or so this weekend... so... maybe later :eek:.

Thanks for the postie napster!

BowerR64
01-21-2007, 02:54 PM
That works good, i wonder how the CPL would look?

AaronBBrown
01-22-2007, 04:47 AM
That works good, i wonder how the CPL would look?

Exactly the same.

Elisha
01-22-2007, 05:06 AM
thought you needed a circular polarizer for a digicam?
am i wrong?

danielg
01-22-2007, 05:19 AM
thought you needed a circular polarizer for a digicam?
am i wrong?

For a point and shoot you dont need a CPL, CPL is only critical for DSLRs :)

nap
01-22-2007, 06:04 AM
Does a CPL rotate like the linear polarizer? In my polarized shot above, I had to rotate the filter to get the best result. :D

AaronBBrown
01-22-2007, 06:06 AM
Does a CPL rotate like the linear polarizer? In my polarized shot above, I had to rotate the filter to get the best result. :D

Yes, they look and work the same. Do a search in this forum on polarizers and you will find plenty of explanations about the difference and why CPLs are needed for DSLRs and not on P&S cameras.

the Chris
01-22-2007, 11:50 AM
This is a HAMA HTMC CP in action, you can see how the different reflections disappear depending on it's rotation.

Reducing the reflections on top of the car:
http://img261.imageshack.us/img261/8237/motorshow200602sn1.jpg

Reducing the sidereflections:
http://img261.imageshack.us/img261/8913/motorshow200601tm8.jpg

Shot with a S3 IS, HAMA HTMC CP on Canon Adapter.

Chris

PS: thanks for those excellent lens threads, 've been looking for those infos for a long time :)

jonalta
01-22-2007, 08:22 PM
Not very nice subjects but it can show the effect of linear PL with an S3.
I also have a CPL. Linear PL works much better in canceling reflections from windows (as what nap showed thru his car window), water, etc. However, CPL is just nice for bright sunny landscapes.
Oh yes, they both can be rotated to fit desired effect.

leyo04
01-23-2007, 11:25 PM
Not very nice subjects but it can show the effect of linear PL with an S3.
I also have a CPL. Linear PL works much better in canceling reflections from windows (as what nap showed thru his car window), water, etc. However, CPL is just nice for bright sunny landscapes.
Oh yes, they both can be rotated to fit desired effect.

:eek: this thread is good. Will definitely make people want to buy them polarizers.

FLiPMaRC
01-24-2007, 07:40 AM
I shot this with a CPL. I don't know how it would look without a filter.

http://www.pbase.com/flipmarc/image/65259848.jpg

drama
01-24-2007, 11:30 AM
I am definitely intrested in one, need to buy an adapter first

AaronBBrown
01-24-2007, 11:46 AM
With a polarizer and without. No editing done, straight from camera (other than resizing)

the Chris
01-24-2007, 01:18 PM
Aaron: CP oder LP?

Greetz
Chris

PS: beautiful smile!

AaronBBrown
01-24-2007, 01:30 PM
Aaron: CP oder LP?

Linear.

That's my fiancee. She was pretty happy right then, 'cuz I had just proposed the day before.

the Chris
01-24-2007, 01:52 PM
Wise choise :)

The filter, I mean of course :D ;)

This is once again a CP photo, I used the filter to affoid the topside reflections. It was quite difficult indoors, those spot lights did a lot of hard reflections.

http://img408.imageshack.us/img408/9656/fkgolf4dc.jpg

Anyone got both, CP and LP? For a direct comparison.

Greetz
Chris

lathe
01-25-2007, 01:38 PM
Wise choise :)
Anyone got both, CP and LP? For a direct comparison.

I don't have both, but I have a good idea what to expect:

A Linear Polarizer will filter out all polarized light at a specific angle.
A Circular Polarizer will filter out most of the polarized light at its main angle and some at other angles

So, using the car shots as an example where the photographer has choosen to reduce the top-of-the-car reflections at the expense of the side-of the-car reflections, in comparing a CP to an LP, a CP will reduce the top reflections a little less and the side ones a little more. In a nutshell, not a massive difference.

Note: at certain rotation angles, LPs are known to screw up the detection sensors in some cameras (ex: exposure meters, etc).

the Chris
01-25-2007, 01:48 PM
The shots of the red car were done by me with a CP.

The thing is, LCD/TFT displays emit coherent light. That's part of their function princip. And with my CP I'm able to blend out the light of my TFT completely. Turned (the CP) correctly, the screen is black as the night, just like switched off.

I think, the difference between LP and CP may be to what degree of light intensity it works. For example, the CP had a hard time blending out the spotlights. It would be interesting to see how a LP would do.

jonalta
01-25-2007, 05:00 PM
i have both an LP (Raynox) and a CPL (Canon). havent really done some comparison shots with my S3 yet. I hope to be free to take some shots this weekend or the coming week. will post results here as soon as i take them..

nap
01-25-2007, 05:41 PM
i have both an LP (Raynox) and a CPL (Canon). havent really done some comparison shots with my S3 yet. I hope to be free to take some shots this weekend or the coming week. will post results here as soon as i take them..

Thanks for doing it jonalta!

jonalta
01-30-2007, 07:25 AM
OK. i didnt have lots of time but I got one set of PL and CPL comparison. This may not really be conclusive but only to show that linear and circular PL almost have the same results with the S3.
I chose a window with much reflections though my angle wasnt optimal for polarizing effect. All shots taken with Canon S3is, f/5.6, 1/200sec. no pp, only resize.
PL and CPL have very equivalent results in this test (canceling reflections and bluer skies).

FLiPMaRC
01-30-2007, 07:35 AM
:cool: Yup, I can't tell the difference between the shots using a LP or a CP.

truflip
01-30-2007, 07:55 AM
I can :)
the linear looks slightly darker n more saturated ;)

AaronBBrown
01-30-2007, 08:00 AM

That's more likely due to subtle differences in the way they were adjusted than anything related to the polarization.

truflip
01-30-2007, 08:15 AM
who knows...
jus saying from those pics.. the linear looks darker n more saturated .. but not by much.. :cool:

nap
01-30-2007, 08:23 AM
Great samples jonalta! Now I won't feel bad having bought the linear polarizer to produce better-saturated landscapes.

BTW, sometimes I'm ALSO using my polarizer like a neutral density filter, although the factor is not much.

the Chris
01-30-2007, 12:05 PM
Thanks jonalta for the comparison!

SilentBob
01-30-2007, 12:53 PM

At first I thought they almost look the same, then looking closer you are correct :o

jonalta
01-31-2007, 01:14 AM
thanks you guys. I hope my comp shots help.
Although, I wouldnt say that my sample shots are conclusive as there may have been various factors that affected my shooting. All were handheld shots and minute angle change may be significant. Also, people passing behind me may have covered some reflections to differ between shots.
Anyhow, thanks again for appreciating.
I bought my PL last year because it was cheaper. Then because of a 70% discount on a canon CPL, I bought it just for kicks 2 week ago. hehe
Now, I use my CPL as an almost always-on protector lens. and my PL sandwiched between my other adapter and wide conv DCR-6600 for future wide-format panoramas.