PDA

View Full Version : need alittle advice!

honda1475
07-26-2004, 07:34 PM
Hello, I love photography and do not have a camera. I have used many digitals and love them. Mostly a olympus d510 and now a kodak cx7430 w/3x zoom. I now want to buy a camera. I am looking at the kodak dx6490 i need 10x opt zoom. Id love a old slr but have read anything older is useless anyways any suggestions would be great!

Luke Chase

John_Reed
07-26-2004, 08:22 PM
Hello, I love photography and do not have a camera. I have used many digitals and love them. Mostly a olympus d510 and now a kodak cx7430 w/3x zoom. I now want to buy a camera. I am looking at the kodak dx6490 i need 10x opt zoom. Id love a old slr but have read anything older is useless anyways any suggestions would be great Luke Chase
You want good zoom, the Panasonic DMC-FZ10 (http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/panasonic/dmc_fz10-review/index.shtml) gives the best zoom range currently available on the market: 35mm to 420mm equivalent, in a stabilized Leica f2.8 (over the whole zoom range) lens. Check the link for Jeff's review of this camera. I have one, and love it. Be advised that Panasonic themselves have decided to upgrade this camera, to the DMC-FZ15 and DMC-FZ20 models, which will be available within the next couple of months.

Jake Conner
07-26-2004, 08:31 PM
Well, in the Ultra-Zoom category, the new Panasonic FZ20 seems to own quite completely, it comes out in September at a list of US$600. If you can't wait that long, its predecessor, the FZ10 is still available, and prices should be dropping rapidly. As for used stuff, in point and shoot digitals you are correct that it would be a bad idea, but DSLRs are a different story altogether, which model were you looking at? Even a 6 year old Kodak DCS 520 is a very good camera if you don't mind 2MP files (and keep in mind that those are crystal clear, sharp, noiseless 2MP files).

Jake

speaklightly
07-26-2004, 09:46 PM
The Kodak DX-6490 is an excellent digital camera for the price. No, it is not a Nikon D-70, but then the Kodak Dx-6490 only costs about $350. The Nikon D-70 is $1,400+ and well above.

The botom line is simply how much do you want to spend?? If you want to spend $1,400+ for the Nikon D-70, then go for it. If your budget is less than $500, then perhaps we should talk a bit more about the Kodak DX - 6490.

Sarah Joyce