PDA

View Full Version : overheating problems with Minolta Dimage Xi

KawaiiTentacleBeast
07-26-2004, 07:14 PM
Greetings camera buffs:

I am thinking about buying a demo model Minolta Dimage Xi, the local store here gave me a fairly good offer (CND$300 for the camera and 256mb card). However, I was told by a salesman at a specialty camera store that particular model has a problem with the CPu generating a lot of heat, which over time has a detrimental effect on the CCD. Is this true? I cannont find anything on the net to verify this, although it makes sense and I am inclined to believe him. I would not want to pass up the deal since I like the camera and esp. the price. my other option would be to get a refurb Canon SD100 for $289, plus extra on a card.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Jake Conner
07-26-2004, 09:37 PM
Though I don't own it, I haven't heard of any problems like that with the Xi. Andy, the recently deposed king of these forums (where is that guy?) has one and loves it, and that's certainly a great price. I'd get it.

Jake

KawaiiTentacleBeast
07-26-2004, 11:14 PM
Thanx for the reply, I would also imagine that it's a rather rare issue, but it is a demo model, which probably means it was sitting on a display stand with the POWER ON for a long time. That makes me worried. I have tried it out already and cannot visually detect anything wrong with it, but i can't know untill i actually take a pic and ul to a computer to check the quality.

Jake Conner
07-26-2004, 11:17 PM
Most demo products carry at least a 90 day warranty, is this the case here? If so, any problems from its demo duty should crop up within that time period.

Jake

Jeff Keller
07-27-2004, 01:37 AM
Greetings camera buffs:

I am thinking about buying a demo model Minolta Dimage Xi, the local store here gave me a fairly good offer (CND$300 for the camera and 256mb card). However, I was told by a salesman at a specialty camera store that particular model has a problem with the CPu generating a lot of heat, which over time has a detrimental effect on the CCD. Is this true? I cannont find anything on the net to verify this, although it makes sense and I am inclined to believe him. I would not want to pass up the deal since I like the camera and esp. the price. my other option would be to get a refurb Canon SD100 for $289, plus extra on a card.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Could also be that the salesperson gets a kickback from Canon if he sells customers their products. I have no info to confirm this but you never know.

KawaiiTentacleBeast
07-27-2004, 07:26 PM
well, the deed is done, If i do have any overheating problems I'll post it here. :)