PDA

View Full Version : Sto-fen

forno
01-14-2007, 01:49 AM
Ok, heres my rant for the day!

I am prepared to pay thousands for a quality lens and I will!

BUT to pay $35 for a piece of moulded plastic:mad:
These things are about $15 in the US, so even taking the exchange rate into the calcs why are they more than twice that here

So what are the options, has anyone done a do it yourself version??

Honest Gaza
01-14-2007, 02:15 AM
Had a similar gripe with Canon's Lens Hoods Forno.

Plastic should be cheap :mad:

cdifoto
01-14-2007, 02:47 AM
Sto-Fens are pretty much a waste of cash. I have one but I never use it anymore. If I need catchlights/fill on my Sunpak, which is all it's really for, I use a piece of photo paper with elastic on it to hold it in place. The 580EX has a catchlight card built in so I don't need it on those.

cwphoto
01-14-2007, 03:11 AM
Sto-Fens are pretty much a waste of cash. I have one but I never use it anymore. If I need catchlights/fill on my Sunpak, which is all it's really for, I use a piece of photo paper with elastic on it to hold it in place. The 580EX has a catchlight card built in so I don't need it on those.

Same here.

Oops, forgot - I don't use flash. :o

forno
01-14-2007, 03:34 AM
Same here.

Oops, forgot - I don't use flash. :o

HUH, what about the weddings? no fill flash?

cwphoto
01-14-2007, 03:37 AM
HUH, what about the weddings? no fill flash?

Sometimes. For fill I just back off FEC by around -2 and hit it straight.

adam75south
01-14-2007, 11:18 AM
i like my stofen. better than a regular bounce and got it for 15 bucks. but i really wanna try out the lightsphere.

aparmley
01-14-2007, 01:14 PM
I use mine everyday!

http://parmley.smugmug.com/photos/123135920-L.jpg

cdifoto
01-14-2007, 01:56 PM
I use mine everyday!

http://parmley.smugmug.com/photos/123135920-L.jpg

Nice! It does a good job with coins. But you're supposed to use it at 45 degrees... :rolleyes:

aparmley
01-14-2007, 02:50 PM
Nice! It does a good job with coins. But you're supposed to use it at 45 degrees... :rolleyes:

Normally, if you know how to work the stofen, once its full, it can pay for a six pack and smokes!:p

boog
01-14-2007, 03:31 PM
I don't take a picture without stofen or lightsphere on my flash. May just be anal and use it since I've got it.

cwphoto
01-14-2007, 05:10 PM
Another thing I envy from Nikon:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=8945&A=details&Q=&sku=300474&is=REG&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation

Anyone know if I can get something similar for the 580EX?

24Peter
01-14-2007, 06:18 PM
Normally, if you know how to work the stofen, once its full, it can pay for a six pack and smokes!:p

That's hilarious Andy. I agree - the Stofen is pretty worthless (unless it's filled with change.) Forno - PM me your mailing address and paypal me US$5 for shipping and I'll send you mine.

forno
01-14-2007, 06:25 PM
That's hilarious Andy. I agree - the Stofen is pretty worthless (unless it's filled with change.) Forno - PM me your mailing address and paypal me US$5 for shipping and I'll send you mine.

LOL, Im down under mate! gonna be more than they are new in the US just to ship it:rolleyes: :D

24Peter
01-14-2007, 06:28 PM
LOL, Im down under mate! gonna be more than they are new in the US just to ship it:rolleyes: :D

Yeah I know where you are. I sent Bella [http://imageevent.com/24peter/bella] a CD of her photos "downunder" - only cost $5.

forno
01-14-2007, 06:34 PM
DAMN, I dont have a paypal account, got a thing about putting cc number across the net

cwphoto
01-14-2007, 06:36 PM
DAMN, I dont have a paypal account, got a thing about putting cc number across the net

Pete, just send it to him and I'll fix you up with the dough when I fly through LAX on the way to Indy this year. :D

forno
01-14-2007, 06:41 PM
LOL, the internet really shrinks the world dont it

24Peter
01-14-2007, 06:43 PM
Pete, just send it to him and I'll fix you up with the dough when I fly through LAX on the way to Indy this year. :D
I'll send it - but the point is, it's kinda worthless really. There are better solutions out there. I use this one all the time:
http://www.takegreatphotos.com/light_reflector.php
And the Gary Fong Lightsphere is supposed to be pretty good too. Heck some guy was using an empty rubbing alcohol/witch hazel bottle to diffuse his flash and the shots were great.

Are you really flying through LAX? Too bad if so - I would have met up with you but I'll be in New York the last two weeks in May. :(

cwphoto
01-14-2007, 06:46 PM
Are you really flying through LAX? Too bad if so - I would have met up with you but I'll be in New York the last two weeks in May. :(

I'm talking F1 - 17 June w/end.

forno
01-14-2007, 06:46 PM
Cheers Peter, I really appreciate the offer.:D But all bother doesnt seem worth it.

I will just flash naked:D

cwphoto
01-14-2007, 06:47 PM
I will just flash naked:D

Please don't. :eek:

forno
01-14-2007, 06:51 PM
Please don't. :eek:

Whats with the sudden shyness???

24Peter
01-14-2007, 06:52 PM

Indy 500 is May 27th. Is that what you're talking about?
http://www.indy500.com/schedule/

cwphoto
01-14-2007, 06:53 PM
Whats with the sudden shyness???

You said you'd never tell you dog! :mad: :D

cwphoto
01-14-2007, 06:54 PM
Indy 500 is May 27th. Is that what you're talking about?
http://www.indy500.com/schedule/

Nah the F1 in June is the plan.

forno
01-14-2007, 06:54 PM
You said you'd never tell you dog! :mad: :D

Im a bitch from way back:D

forno
01-14-2007, 06:55 PM

You for real?? Awesome:cool: :cool:

24Peter
01-14-2007, 06:55 PM
Nah the F1 in June is the plan.

Oh - "F1" sorry. Well I'm here in June so... ;)

cwphoto
01-14-2007, 06:58 PM
You for real?? Awesome:cool: :cool:

Outside chance - know any good romantic destinations in the Dandenongs? The brownie-point Piggy Bank needs a major injection of funds to cover a stunt like this... :eek:

forno
01-14-2007, 07:05 PM
Outside chance - know any good romantic destinations in the Dandenongs? The brownie-point Piggy Bank needs a major injection of funds to cover a stunt like this... :eek:

Not in the Dandenongs, but you could come down for the GP and stay at Werribee Mansion:cool:

Or A little B&B in Melbourne, spend friday day with your girl, then we can go to the track on saturday then you can take the cheese n kisses for a nice dinner.

Sunday we watch the race from my couch with a few coldies:D

forno
01-14-2007, 07:06 PM
OH I nearly forgot the clincher, "GREAT SHOPPING IN MELBOURNE"

cwphoto
01-14-2007, 07:07 PM
Not in the Dandenongs, but you could come down for the GP and stay at Werribee Mansion:cool:

Or A little B&B in Melbourne, spend friday day with your girl, then we can go to the track on saturday then you can take the cheese n kisses for a nice dinner.

Sunday we watch the race from my couch with a few coldies:D

Sounds like a plan - which GP are we talking about here (seeing as your State has both :rolleyes: )?

forno
01-14-2007, 07:08 PM
Sounds like a plan - which GP are we talking about here (seeing as your State has both :rolleyes: )?

F1, but I aint fussy:D

boog
01-14-2007, 08:00 PM
Andy, I totally missed your use for the stofen. Damn thats funny. Oh well, I still use mine and LPJ:D .

adam75south
01-14-2007, 09:00 PM

pm me your paypal, i'll spot the $5.

dallas75287
01-14-2007, 11:05 PM
I found this video (http://www.abetterbouncecard.com/) very helpful.

cpaussie
01-15-2007, 12:29 AM
Sorry to hijack your thread forno, but I just wanted to ask Chirstian about the flash filters. What are they for?
I have a clear, blue, green and red filter. (for my ae-1 programme film camera):o

achuang
01-15-2007, 02:11 AM
I have both the stofen and the flip-it, and i almost never use the stofen. Most of the time i use the flipit or naked flash.

Honest Gaza
01-15-2007, 02:29 AM

One minute CW is offering to foot the bill for the Sto-fen and the next he's asking Forno if he knows any romantic destinations in the Dandenongs.

I don't know what you guys got up to when you met in Melbourne, but Forno......don't do it mate....just pay for the Sto-fen yourself :D

cwphoto
01-15-2007, 02:35 AM
One minute CW is offering to foot the bill for the Sto-fen and the next he's asking Forno if he knows any romantic destinations in the Dandenongs.

I don't know what you guys got up to when you met in Melbourne, but Forno......don't do it mate....just pay for the Sto-fen yourself :D

:o

:D :D :D

cwphoto
01-15-2007, 02:42 AM
Sorry to hijack your thread forno, but I just wanted to ask Chirstian about the flash filters. What are they for?
I have a clear, blue, green and red filter. (for my ae-1 programme film camera):o

Hi Carmel - good to hear from you!

They provide the flash output with a colour cast which corresponds with the colour of the filter, especially useful when photographing subjects in mixed non-daylight lighting.

An example: when shooting indoor events using flash, but 'dragging the shutter' so that you gain plenty of ambient light in the background.

Normally flash colour temperature (CT) is around 6000K, fine for outdoors where daylight may be 5600K or more. But when shooting indoors under tungsten CT (say 3200K) you get a colour mis-match (blue light from the flash and yellow light from the ambient).

The idea with these things is that you set your camera's WB to match the ambient light's CT, and then modify your flash output to match - in this case by putting on a 'warming' filter (yellow).

If you do it right the images look far more natural. :)

cpaussie
01-15-2007, 02:59 AM
Thank you Christian. I think I've got that clearly mixed up in my head.
How would that work on my film camera as it has no wb.
I'll have to give it a go on my film camera as my son has the digital camera overseas. (I've told him to take heaps of photos for me!)

cwphoto
01-15-2007, 03:09 AM
Thank you Christian. I think I've got that clearly mixed up in my head.
How would that work on my film camera as it has no wb.
I'll have to give it a go on my film camera as my son has the digital camera overseas. (I've told him to take heaps of photos for me!)

The camera doesn't have a white balance, but your media (film) does.

Standard everyday film is DAYLIGHT balanced. You could buy TUNGSTEN balanced film instead (hard to find these days) and simply shoot as described above for similar results. :)

achuang
01-17-2007, 08:57 PM
CW, since those coloured filters for the flash only come with the Nikon SB800 and I bought the SB600 I didn't want to pay more for the coloured filters so i went a cheap way. I just picked up a Lee filters swatch with hundreds of sample coloured filters and I'm going to tape or use a rubber band or think of something else to attach them to my flash. I'm not sure if the plastic will melt onto the flash head due to the heat from the flash...what do you think? I might have to find a clear piece of plastic and put that inbetween the coloured filters.

cwphoto
01-17-2007, 09:06 PM
CW, since those coloured filters for the flash only come with the Nikon SB800 and I bought the SB600 I didn't want to pay more for the coloured filters so i went a cheap way. I just picked up a Lee filters swatch with hundreds of sample coloured filters and I'm going to tape or use a rubber band or think of something else to attach them to my flash. I'm not sure if the plastic will melt onto the flash head due to the heat from the flash...what do you think? I might have to find a clear piece of plastic and put that inbetween the coloured filters.

It sounds like a good compromise. I was hoping that a 3rd-party had a tidier solution, but if it works and is cheap then I'm in.

Keep me posted. :)

achuang
01-17-2007, 09:17 PM
It wasn't just cheap, it was free. I initially asked for a rosco coloured filter swatch, but they only had lee in stock so i took those instead. They have a whole box of free take home samples to choose from. Of course they want people to buy large sheets of the stuff, but it happens that the free samples they give fit just about perfectly over the flash.

What do you think about the heat from the flash? Will it cause the filters to melt? The filters are pretty thin.

cwphoto
01-17-2007, 09:30 PM
What do you think about the heat from the flash? Will it cause the filters to melt? The filters are pretty thin.

My initial reaction is that it should be OK. :confused:

achuang
01-17-2007, 09:37 PM
I hope so, don't want a melted piece of coloured plastic permanently on my flash head.

cwphoto
01-17-2007, 09:58 PM
I hope so, don't want a melted piece of coloured plastic permanently on my flash head.

Me neither, can you let me know how it goes? :cool: :D

achuang
01-17-2007, 10:01 PM
No problem, i'll be testing it out in my spare time over the next week and let you know how it goes. The wedding i'm shooting is a week and a half away....sunday 28th. I don't think i'll really need to use them for it, but i'll bring them anyway if i'm confident enough using them by then.

te1221
01-18-2007, 11:40 AM
Hi Carmel - good to hear from you!

They provide the flash output with a colour cast which corresponds with the colour of the filter, especially useful when photographing subjects in mixed non-daylight lighting.

An example: when shooting indoor events using flash, but 'dragging the shutter' so that you gain plenty of ambient light in the background.

Normally flash colour temperature (CT) is around 6000K, fine for outdoors where daylight may be 5600K or more. But when shooting indoors under tungsten CT (say 3200K) you get a colour mis-match (blue light from the flash and yellow light from the ambient).

The idea with these things is that you set your camera's WB to match the ambient light's CT, and then modify your flash output to match - in this case by putting on a 'warming' filter (yellow).

If you do it right the images look far more natural. :)

I noticed that when I went to a banquet hall and I was trying to drag the shutter. In order to get the background to be the right color temp I set it to tungsten and the subject would be blue from teh flash.

Is there an easy way to fix this in post processing?

pagnamenta
01-18-2007, 12:01 PM
I shoot a lot of parties and there's one coming up this Saturday. I bounce the flash off the ceiling and love my results, but I still need a way to soften direct flash. If the Stofen sucks, is there anything it's size that will do the job?

I've seen someone come into the local Wolf cameras with some paper rubber banded onto the flash head. I think that might work, but is it safe?

JMWallace
01-18-2007, 12:47 PM
It's larger, looks a bit more ridiclulous and maybe even a little odd...but I have seen the (Gary Fong) Lightsphere in use and the results are really good. The last wedding I shot, I used the sto-fen and the main WP used the Lightsphere. The WP had much better light control than I did. Granted alot of that has to do with experience, but the light from the Sto-fen was still way too directional and uneven. I had to fight with hot-spots in post processing.

I was playing around with my flash using the Lightsphere in my basement with my kids the other night and felt the results were MUCH more natural.

cwphoto
01-18-2007, 01:05 PM
I noticed that when I went to a banquet hall and I was trying to drag the shutter. In order to get the background to be the right color temp I set it to tungsten and the subject would be blue from teh flash.

Is there an easy way to fix this in post processing?

Shoot in RAW and the WB to flash later.