PDA

View Full Version : hbird photogs please advise

Rontech1
01-13-2007, 08:07 AM
I have a situation that I believe I need some advice on how to shoot.:confused:
My wife and I enjoy the hummingbirds that visit our backyard in the summer. We got into DSLR to try and get some great shots of these little creatures. It has been a learning experience ( and somewhat wallet emptying experience ) so far.
As I/WE want to be prepared and familiar with the equip before spring when they return, we are working with our equipment now to become proficient and able to do what we want right off the bat.
The equip to do the job is not the limiting factor at this point. You can see in my sig what we have now and we are considering the Canon 300mm F4L IS w 1.4x TC to compliment the rest, specifically this lens for the birds.

My shooting situation is what the dilemma is now. We will be taking the photos from about 25-30 ft away, through the window in our garage. The background of the feeders/garden is a white garage next door aprox 10 ft behind the feeders. Also this area is sometimes, depending on the time of day, in the shade.
An example of the situation,
This was taken with our S3IS. We have none avail taken w the XTi yet.
I am thinking that I need some kind of backdrop, to do away with the nasty background, and maybe some reflectors to get the light up for stop action?
Any advice?
Ron

SpecialK
01-13-2007, 02:07 PM
Hi"

Yes, a backdrop would help aesthetically. Ask your neighor if you can tack up up a tarp or something. Reflectors would be a good idea though they will need to be fairly large.

It would be a good idea to resize your photo to aboute 1100 pixels across so we don't have to scroll back and forth sideways to read your post :-)

Rontech1
01-13-2007, 02:27 PM
Hi"

Yes, a backdrop would help aesthetically. Ask your neighor if you can tack up up a tarp or something. Reflectors would be a good idea though they will need to be fairly large.

It would be a good idea to resize your photo to aboute 1100 pixels across so we don't have to scroll back and forth sideways to read your post :-)

Thanks for the reply,
The neighbor would not mind a bit, and I saw how big the pic was after I posted but did not edit, like on ID 10 T.
Suggestions on the reflector? And how to set them up?
Ron

SpecialK
01-13-2007, 03:04 PM
Perhaps some white nylon or plastic sheeting, fixed to a couple PVC pipes pounded into the ground. Try Home Depot or whatever you have. Should be able to find something pretty cheap.

Rontech1
01-13-2007, 03:40 PM
Thanks SpecialK,
That was what I was thinking. Some thing easy to put up and take down. Maybe shower curtain rings on a quick bar setup? Hanging from the eaves of the neighbors garage?
The owner of the garage is really cool. Good friend of ours and loves the hbird pics/hbirds also. Maybe some camo material? Should be easy to get good "bokeh" from that.
What do you all think about reflectors? Any direction on that? Store bought
( http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=NavBar&A=search&Q=&ci=1327)
or just a large white sheet of paper on each side of the feeder?
Ron,
Who is getting clearer on this subject, but still a little foggy:)
And I DO apologize for the pic size, damn rookies!!!

John_Reed
01-14-2007, 11:23 PM
...with the Canon S3 IS, you were shooting at what, 420mm focal length? If so, one could conclude that you'll have difficulty making the bird image take up an appreciable percentage of the full frame, always a good goal. All of which means you might want to try getting closer, because even with twice the focal length of the S3, which is about what you'll have with the DSLR setup, you'll still be too far away, and shooting through a window won't help your image resolution either. If you can get closer, you might get lucky like I did once with a hummer at about 8 feet distance, with a Panasonic FZ1 shooting at 420mm (full zoom):

http://John-Reed.smugmug.com/photos/4704711-L.jpg

Good luck!