PDA

View Full Version : Action Shots

Karl Rove
01-11-2007, 07:46 PM
Hello,

This is probably fundamental to most but I'm buying a camera and one attribute I'm looking for is the ability to capture moving objects so they are frozen rather than blurred. What is this called? I think it has to do with the shutter but what shutter type am I to look for?

Thanks for any help,
Karl

forno
01-11-2007, 07:51 PM
Its shutter speed you are after, BUT you can only get fast shutter speeds if you have lots of light. Some cameras allow lots of light in others dont.

But most P&S cameras have a sports mode these days, need more info on what you want from your camera to give you a better answer though

Karl Rove
01-11-2007, 08:38 PM
Thank you forno.

I just posted two request for camera recommendations with one criteria being compaxt size and the other being a good zoom:

http://www.dcresource.com/forums/showthread.php?p=189163#post189163

http://www.dcresource.com/forums/showthread.php?p=189164#post189164

With respect to what kind of pictures I want to take where moving subject would be stable rather than blurry, I'm thinking of for instance a galloping horse or cat jumping through air. I'd want to capture that as a still image rather than it being blurry because it was moving.

If my cameras have a sports mode, is that a setting that automatically takes that kind of shot if I've selected that sports mode?

Thanks again

CMYanko
01-12-2007, 07:01 AM
You're on the right track. One problem I see is the combination of 'small' and 'good zoom'. Here's why. The best zoom camera's are known as Ultra Zooms and boast od 10-12x ranges which are equivalent to 300-400mm. Unfortunately, none of these cameras are what you call small. The Panasonic Fz7 and Canon S3 are probably the smallest I can think of off the top of my head and just might be small enough for you. They both have fairly 'bright' lens (small number apertures) at the tele end which helps as well.

After that there are some 6x zooms out there like the Canon A710. Not sure it is much smaller though.

Once you get to the compact camera's I can't think of any 6x zooms so you're limited to the typical 3x and the occassional 4x. Fuji makes some nice compact that support higher ISO's which can also help keep shutter speeds up to stop action. While the highest end is too noisy you can use 800 speed and get very nice images.

In the end I feel you choosen a particulary difficult mix of features. Another consideration may be burst mode as often time the best way to get the action is to just shoot off a bunch of shots in rapid succession. 3fps is about the most you can expect to find in almost anything other than dSLR's.

Good luck.

Honest Gaza
01-12-2007, 04:11 PM
Another problem with the P&S cameras (like my Panasonic FZ-20) is that there is a "shutter lag" that may result in you missing the "frame" you were trying to capture. I love my FZ-20, but for action shots the DSLR is the way to go.