PDA

View Full Version : S1 Video Issue?

b.n
07-26-2004, 05:46 PM
I just got a S1.

Recently I noticed a really high pitched whine in video sometimes. It does it with the EVF the most. However if I start in EVF and switch to the LCD it starts when I make the switch. It also does it vise versa if you start with the LCD and switch to the EVF. But sometimes it does it just with the EVF w/ no switching.

Perhaps someone with an S1 could try the above.

It did not matter what resolution it was on.

thanx for any input

Jake Conner
07-26-2004, 09:21 PM
I don't have an S1 to try it on, but that sounds very defective to me. Have you called Canon?

Jake

lowkl
07-27-2004, 08:20 AM
Just tested on my S1 (firmware updated to 1.0.1.0):

- recorded at low res, on the provided CF card, about 40 sec
- started recording with only the EVF
- popped open the LCD while recording
- switched viewing mode back to EVF via Display button
- switched back to LCD via Display button

Copied the file over to the PC via ImageBrowser. Used both Media Player as well as Quicktime to view the file. On max volume there was NO high pitched whine anytime during the recording.

Any other test scenario you'd like me to test?

b.n
07-27-2004, 11:17 AM
No I talked to canon today, they said there is somthing wrong for sure. I am just going to take it back and exchange it. Its only a little over a week old.

Thanx, I really appreciate the help.

John_Reed
07-27-2004, 12:53 PM
No I talked to canon today, they said there is somthing wrong for sure. I am just going to take it back and exchange it. Its only a little over a week old.

Thanx, I really appreciate the help.
It sounds like your Ultrasonic focusing mechanism must've shifted downward in frequency to the audible sound spectrum, so you could actually hear it. I used to be able to hear Ultrasonic sounds directly, but that was when I was way younger! :o

Rhys
07-27-2004, 02:00 PM
It sounds like your Ultrasonic focusing mechanism must've shifted downward in frequency to the audible sound spectrum, so you could actually hear it. I used to be able to hear Ultrasonic sounds directly, but that was when I was way younger! :o

Am I right in thinking that a USM uses piezzo electric crystals to provide a pulsing motion which is then pulsed in the direction in which the moter is required to turn? Something like a flat plate with crystals and a deformable layer and the other plate being deformed so that the motion is effectively physical pushing? That sounds like it needs teflon lubrication!

b.n
07-27-2004, 07:18 PM
Interesting...went and exchanged my cam tonight. First box only had english manuals. Second camera had both Spanish and English manuals.

b.n
07-27-2004, 08:39 PM
Even more strange...the new one has the high pitched whine as well. Only starts when switching from EVF to LCD or vise versa.

And there is a ever so fine blue line going down from the top to bottom on the left side of the focus square (Im sure there is a fancier name for it)

I think someone at the circuit city store dropped the pallet or something?