PDA

View Full Version : Auto Focus?

ddolfe
01-05-2007, 02:10 AM
Hi. I've taken less than 20 pics with my E500, and all of a sudden the AF has stopped working completely! I've checked and re-checked all of the settings, recharged the battery and have looked all throught the manual for a solution, all to no avail. Before I call tech support and end up on hold fo 3 days, or return the camera for something else, has anyone out there experienced a similar situation? HELP!!!! I think I like the camera, but this is leaving a pretty sour taste in my mouth....
Thanks!

Norm in Fujino
01-05-2007, 02:23 AM
Hi. I've taken less than 20 pics with my E500, and all of a sudden the AF has stopped working completely! I've checked and re-checked all of the settings, recharged the battery and have looked all throught the manual for a solution, all to no avail. Before I call tech support and end up on hold fo 3 days, or return the camera for something else, has anyone out there experienced a similar situation? HELP!!!! I think I like the camera, but this is leaving a pretty sour taste in my mouth....
Thanks!

Sounds to me like a contact problem. Check these things out:

1. When you mount the lens, do you hold the lens-release button pressed down? You shouldn't. Use the lens-release button only when removing a lens. When placing a new lens on the camera, simply insert it with the red dots aligned, and turn until it clicks. If you hold the release button depressed, you will overshoot the detent click setting and cause the contacts to lose their alignment.

2. If #1 isn't the problem, try cleaning the gold-colored contacts on the camera body and the lens. Today's lenses have lots of electronics connecting them to the body and a bit of soil between the contacts can cause an interrupted circuit.

3. Be sure you haven't set the camera to manual focus by mistake.

ddolfe
01-05-2007, 02:32 AM
Hi Paul, and thanks for the quick reply. I'm not holding the release when mounting the lens, I cleaned the contacts, and the camera is set for full auto mode and still no auto focusing.......I think I have a major defect on my hands!

kgosden
01-05-2007, 05:53 AM
I have had a few times where the lens needed to be remounted even though it seemed to click in solidly. Until I did this the camera seemed to be only partially powered up. It certainly did not autofocus.

Gary24
01-05-2007, 10:35 AM
Sorry to hear about your problems. I have had mine for over 2 months now and have had no such problems. Do you have more then one lens? IF so does it do it on all lenses? If you only have 1 do you have a camera store around where you can try another lens on it?

www.how-wood.com

kgosden
01-05-2007, 02:49 PM
Gary, I wasn't sure if you were asking me or the original poster. In my case I have several lenses. It has happened so infrequently, 2-3 times over the year I have owned the E500, that I really don't keep track of which lens it has occurred with. I just know the symptoms and the fix. It might even be dust or dirt on a contact and remounting clears it. It might also be the rare time when I have changed lenses with the camera powered up. I generally power down, swap lenses and then power up just to insure the dust shake runs after opening the camera.

Gary24
01-05-2007, 03:31 PM
Gary, I wasn't sure if you were asking me or the original poster. In my case I have several lenses. It has happened so infrequently, 2-3 times over the year I have owned the E500, that I really don't keep track of which lens it has occurred with. I just know the symptoms and the fix. It might even be dust or dirt on a contact and remounting clears it. It might also be the rare time when I have changed lenses with the camera powered up. I generally power down, swap lenses and then power up just to insure the dust shake runs after opening the camera.

Actually it was for the original poster but thanks for the info ;)

ddolfe
01-05-2007, 08:12 PM
I purchased the 2 lens kit, and had the same result with both lenses. I've tried all of the aforementioned suggestions with the same result......NO autofocus! I also spent the better part of an hour on the phone with the techies ( and I use the term VERY loosely) at Olympus. They asked me 2 questions and then told me that I had a defective camera and to return it either to them or to the place of purchase for a replacement. Had they taken the time to try and resolve the issue, I MIGHT have done as suggested, but since the people at Olympus seemed so unwilling to resolve the issue with me, I think my choice is clear....
Looks like I got a bum camera, so I'll be returning it VERY quickly and will purchase a more expensive NON Olympus camera..... I guess the old addage is true, "You get what you pay for".......I'll bite the bullet and fork out the money for a good camera...
Thanks for all of your help folks!

SpecialK
01-06-2007, 09:18 PM
I purchased the 2 lens kit, and had the same result with both lenses. I've tried all of the aforementioned suggestions with the same result......NO autofocus! I also spent the better part of an hour on the phone with the techies ( and I use the term VERY loosely) at Olympus. They asked me 2 questions and then told me that I had a defective camera and to return it either to them or to the place of purchase for a replacement. Had they taken the time to try and resolve the issue,

Sorry to hear you had a problem but it sounds like they did try to resolve the problem - they said you have a defective camera and it should be sent to them for service or returned to the seller if the seller accepts returns. What makes you think they can fix you camera over the phone?

I MIGHT have done as suggested, but since the people at Olympus seemed so unwilling to resolve the issue with me, I think my choice is clear....
Looks like I got a bum camera, so I'll be returning it

This is one of the options they gave you, so...?

VERY quickly and will purchase a more expensive NON Olympus camera..... I guess the old addage is true, "You get what you pay for".......I'll bite the bullet and fork out the money for a good camera...
Thanks for all of your help folks!

Olympus makes good stuff. Every manufacturer has a glitch from time to time. That is why they all provide a warranty.

ddolfe
01-06-2007, 11:09 PM
Sorry to hear you had a problem but it sounds like they did try to resolve the problem - they said you have a defective camera and it should be sent to them for service or returned to the seller if the seller accepts returns. What makes you think they can fix you camera over the phone?

I didn't expect them to fix it over the phone.....what I DID expect was technical support. The only questions they asked were (1) "Is the camera turned on".......DUH!!!! and (2) "When/where did I buy it." Would YOU, as a "Senior Member" consider this to be proper technical support?

This is one of the options they gave you, so...?

I find this comment to asinine to even attempt an intelligent response to.

Olympus makes good stuff. Every manufacturer has a glitch from time to time. That is why they all provide a warranty.

I don't deny that Olympus makes a good product. I owned an Olympus 35mm film camera for many years and was very satisfied with the quality of it hence the reason I opted for them again when it came time to upgrade my P&S to DSLR. I guess that my obvious concern with this issue is the total lack of customer service and technical support. If YOU, as a consumer, were treated so poorly when trying to resolve a problem, don't you think you'd be left feeling as though they didn't give a damn about the problem?
After having any item for a very short period of time, I certainly would expect a much more technical approach to attempting at a resolution to the issue than what I got from them! They didn't make 1 suggestion as to what the issue could be.........they merely belittled my intelligence and took the easy way out. Would YOU have been satisfied with such a response? I think not...

It's too bad that you feel the need to post responses in such a negative manner. Sounds like you could be a senior techie for Olympus with your wonderful attitude and suggestions for problem resolution!
Thank you SO much, SpecialK, for your intelligent an enlightening information!

Riley
01-07-2007, 04:47 AM
perhaps being particularly unhappy is a penchant of yours

i dont see anything that would allow me to conclude specialk did anything but try to help you with constructive advice.

having some 'attitude' while trendy can be quite unhelpfull,
i think the goal is/was to get the camera fixed

cheers to the lucky manufacturer that meets you next

chill sport... chill

SpecialK
01-07-2007, 09:52 AM
I don't deny that Olympus makes a good product. I owned an Olympus 35mm film camera for many years and was very satisfied with the quality of it hence the reason I opted for them again when it came time to upgrade my P&S to DSLR. I guess that my obvious concern with this issue is the total lack of customer service and technical support.

You implied Olympus was a poor product.

If YOU, as a consumer, were treated so poorly when trying to resolve a problem, don't you think you'd be left feeling as though they didn't give a damn about the problem?

You said they determined you camera was defective.

After having any item for a very short period of time, I certainly would expect a much more technical approach to attempting at a resolution to the issue than what I got from them! They didn't make 1 suggestion as to what the issue could be.........they merely belittled my intelligence and took the easy way out. Would YOU have been satisfied with such a response? I think not...

You made no mention of that.

It's too bad that you feel the need to post responses in such a negative manner. Sounds like you could be a senior techie for Olympus with your wonderful attitude and suggestions for problem resolution!
Thank you SO much, SpecialK, for your intelligent an enlightening information!

Haha. I am a customer service manager, but not for Olympus :-0