PDA

View Full Version : Newbie needs some help with his Kodak P850.

Vento24
01-04-2007, 12:46 PM
Hi there,

I recieved a Kodak P850 for christmas this year. It is my first digital camera and I'm having some dificulty taking low light and night shots with it. Last night I was trying to take a picture of the moon with some clouds surrounding it. I could not get it to focus automatically or manually. Obviously, the pics came out dark and blurry. Also, when I had my christmas tree up, I tried to get a picture of it. I could get the camera to focus, but the light bulbs on the tree were very bright and overpowered the tree. If anyone has some tips to help me with the setting on my camera, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Trevor

sla
01-05-2007, 12:17 AM
Hi there,
(...)the light bulbs on the tree were very bright and overpowered the tree. (...)

Hi Trevor
Adjust positive exposure compensation. But in this case you will have overexposed bulbs. You will have to compromise. Or turn on more light. Or try flash light in "fill flash" mode.

Last night I was trying to take a picture of the moon with some clouds surrounding it. I could not get it to focus automatically or manually. Obviously, the pics came out dark and blurry.
I think blur was caused by camera shake. If you take night photos, the camera must be fixed, so that it wouldn't move nor shake for a few seconds - especially if you are using zoom. If you have no tripod, put your camera on something solid. And I recommend you to use self-timer. It also helps to prevent camera shakes during taking a photo.
regards
s.

CMYanko
01-05-2007, 08:27 AM
Certainly a tripod would be benificial and you are likely bumping into a limited dynamic range of the camera. One possible solution I've read about recently would be to bracket the scen and the sandwich the photo's in something like photoshop using one for highlight detail and a different one for shadows.