PDA

View Full Version : Smaller objects

jorod74
12-31-2006, 12:52 AM
okay, let's say i want to take photos of small, highly detailed objects (okay, in my case action figures ranging in size from 4.5 inches to 10 inches tall) for a project. I like to make unique gifts for friends and this year i wanted to make a "Comic Book" with my collection of action figures. :cool:

are there any suggestions for getting the best shots?
My first attempts at this were with (ugh) a Kodak EasyShare C300 and even with the larger objects, the pictures came out grainy, blurred or the flash washed out everything.

I had seen a thread involving photographing jewelry, but wasn't sure this was the same thing.

Pave
12-31-2006, 06:40 AM
In general you should use the macro settings. The image being blurred and grainy could be caused by the lack of light indoors. The grain you mentioned could possibly be the noise that is caused by high ISO settings. And the blur, well, I'd expect it to be caused by long shutter-speed and consequently you can't possibly hold it without it being blurred.
So I'd suggest using macro mode, lowest ISO and aperture possible, long shutter speed and a tripod. Or of course some studio lighting with reflective boards (not sure if this is correct English term but I guess you know what I mean) etc. would be ideal solution...

Pave
12-31-2006, 06:56 AM
Oh, now I had a look at details of your camera...
With this type you could not expect great results...with no possibility to set the settings manualy you'll have to let the camera set it as it wants... So the only advice I could give you is to take the pictures with as much light as possible (midday on a bright sunny day), so that there will be enough light and the camera would not set high ISO and consequently you'll avoid the noise. Moreover with enough light the shutter speed can get short enough for you to be able to hold it without blurring the picture.
But the worst problem (that IMHO can't be solved) is that your camera's minimal distance at which it is able to focus is 80cm's (about 31,5 inch) - or so does the review I've read says - and so without the macro (which was not mentioned in that review so I guess the camera doesn't have it) you can take the picture only from this distance and so the details will be too tiny or lost altogether.
So this is all I can think of...sorry... Probably someone more competent than I am will be able to help you...
Good luck to you...

jorod74
12-31-2006, 03:11 PM
what you said makes sense and the more i read here at DCRP, the easier it gets. I am befuddled by the price of a camera that takes mediocre pictures at best and under limitations so confining it is frustrating.

But one thing i accidentally discovered while goofing off last night with the EasyShare was that i got better images using the night shot function. the flash was better, the image was cleaner, but the camera as a whole seems better suited for P&S of larger, closer objects.
Makes me want the Canon A540 so much more now.

once again, thanks for the tips.