PDA

View Full Version : Shutter Delay

tombeard
07-26-2004, 12:32 PM
I have a Canon PowerShot S50 that takes very nice pictures but I am having a problem with the shutter delay when trying to take action shots, mainly of my parrots in flight. By the time the shutter activates, the bird is gone out of the picture. Anything I can do to resolve this or do I need a different camera? And if so, what would your recommendation be? Thanks, Tom

D70FAN
07-26-2004, 01:33 PM
I have a Canon PowerShot S50 that takes very nice pictures but I am having a problem with the shutter delay when trying to take action shots, mainly of my parrots in flight. By the time the shutter activates, the bird is gone out of the picture. Anything I can do to resolve this or do I need a different camera? And if so, what would your recommendation be? Thanks, Tom

I would recommend a dSLR, but the least expensive of them is the Canon 300D at about $900. For a few dollars more (about $300 more) is the excellent Nikon D70. My experience with both (and especially my own D70) is that there is virtually no shutter lag in normal light, and you can actually use higher ISO, with very little noise penalty, when the light is not cooperating.

Speed is why most of us who own dSLR's, bought dSLR's in the first place.

Beyond that there may be some all-in-ones that are faster than the S50, but not by much.

As a lower-cost shot in the dark...try to half-press the shutter and anticipate the shot as much as possible. The half-press will pre-focus the camera and reduce the shot time to less than 1 second. If you can live with a little image noise, you can set the ISO to 400 as well to help speed things up.