PDA

View Full Version : Story telling Compositions - Where to Focus ?

Honest Gaza
12-27-2006, 02:40 AM
If you've read the book "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson, you will have read how he refers to images with large depths of field (eg f/22) as Story Telling Compositions.

He mentions how he would use the depth of field scales on the lens to pre-focus the camera, rather than pick a particular point in the composition. This would often give a "blurred" view through the view finder (as the camera still gave a view through maximum aperture until the shutter was released), but a sharp picture resulted.

So my question is, with modern lenses that don't have scales marked on them, where do people choose to focus for these compositions ?

I'm aware the Canon 400D has a "Depth of Field Preview", but I'd still like to know in general terms, how do photographers determine this focus point.

CMYanko
12-27-2006, 05:04 AM
Great question.Bryan is trying to show us how to get everything in focus by utilizing this pre-focus technique. For us it gets tricky but there is some good news. Our DOF's are actualy bigger and there are websites and tools that can help you determine hyperfocal distances. The trick then becomes finding an object at a given range to focus on. All in all I'm not sure it isn't much different than utulizing a Landscape mode which should stop down the aperature and focus for max depth of field.