PDA

View Full Version : Noise Noise Noise!

Tommybojangs
12-24-2006, 11:52 PM
I was reading a few magazines and I came across a software utility that removes noise and grain from images. I lost the article. I was wondering if anyone knows and or uses a software package to remove grain and noise from images.

I have the Noise Reduction activated on my D80, but it doesn't seem to help after I toy with the images in photoshop. I find the grain after I manipulate the images in photoshop. I'm not using an iso higher than 400 so that shouldn't be the issue.

HELP!:eek:

kgosden
12-25-2006, 08:29 AM
There are quite a few noise removal programs on the market. The two most popular seem to be Noise Ninja and SilkyPix.

toriaj
12-25-2006, 09:52 AM
I use Noiseware. It has a freeware version online that you can easily find to download.

Many post-processing programs have a noise reduction feature. I use Paint Shop Pro, which does a good job. Photoshop also has one.

Pave
12-25-2006, 11:19 AM
Yep, there are loads of noise-removing programs or you can use Photo Shop or any other program like this.
Just don't forget that even if you remove the noise the quality of the picture won't improve as if by miracle. The noise is mostly removed by replacing the "noise-pixels" with pixels of aproximate color that could be there (ex. if you had one pixel blue, one green and in between them one pixel of noise then the program would replace it with green-blue one). The result is sometimes not exactly good-looking. Moreover pictures with "removed noise" are quite often unsharp and if you sharpen them, you got the noise back.
So although these programs are handy (I use them too) you just can't expect them to make every pic look like there's never been noise.
And one more thing. You should learn to set these programs properly because if you just set them to maximum you would usually end up having your pictures looking like a unsharp oil-painting without details.

D Thompson
12-25-2006, 08:50 PM
You might also try NeatImage.