PDA

View Full Version : In the UK? Visit Jessops

Jim Last
12-01-2004, 03:36 PM
If you are looking at purchasing any photographic equipment and are based in the UK then you really MUST visit your local Jessops.

They are by far IMHO the best camera shop in the UK and offer the highest levels of customer care and satisfaction :)

Over the past few months I have been trying to decide on a new digital camera and if it wasn't for Jessops then I would be way out of pocket cost wise!

They are very good at matching prices from any UK based comapny, wether on the high street or via the Internet (now there isn't many, if any, companies on the Hight Street that will do that!)

They are more than happy to let you try it out at home and if not 100% happy you can return it (obviously in as new condition with ALL packaging etc.) and exchange it for another camera or a full refund!

They don't limit the number of times you can try and exchange (well I guess within reason) I tried 3 other cameras for a week or so each before settling for my Olympus C-8080, and even then they came very close to matching the best web price I could find at that time!

It has to be said that paying a slightly higher price to be able to have this level of service is more than worth it especially when you are only talking about a few quid more than the very cheapest web price which in all honesty you probably wouldn't have used half the micky mouse internet companies out there, with horror stories of 'grey' items and very very poor service :eek:

I do not work for, or have any family member working for, or hold any shares in Jessops. This is purely my own humble opinion of them as a UK company.

A huge http://www.dcresource.com/forums/images/icons/icon14.gif goes to Jessops :D

I just wanted to add that IMHO, I would always stick to Leading Manufacturers Products and aim to steer clear of the Jessops own branded items as these more often than not are made cheaply and lack the quality and finishing of known branded equivelents.

Ant
12-01-2004, 03:41 PM
Normally these large companies aren't usually the best, but I'd have to agree with you about Jessops. I've been pretty impressed by them.

I'd be a bit more impressed if they had some sort of loyalty scheme though. I've spent over a grand at jessops in the last few months and I'd like to feel I'm valued because of that. Oh well, can't have everything I suppose ;)

Rhys
12-01-2004, 06:26 PM
My problem with Jessops is not so much with their return policy (which is exellent) but with their products. Nothing I have ever bought from Jessops has ever worked. It's all had to be returned. My experience is they're OK for consumables but not for cameras.

Jim Last
12-02-2004, 01:16 AM
My problem with Jessops is not so much with their return policy (which is exellent) but with their products. Nothing I have ever bought from Jessops has ever worked. It's all had to be returned. My experience is they're OK for consumables but not for cameras.

Rhys,

Can't say that I have ever ended up with a camera that doesn't work from Jessops? And I have had quite a few from them in the past.

How many cameras have you had from Jessops which don't work?

Jim Last
12-02-2004, 01:18 AM
Normally these large companies aren't usually the best, but I'd have to agree with you about Jessops. I've been pretty impressed by them.

I'd be a bit more impressed if they had some sort of loyalty scheme though. I've spent over a grand at jessops in the last few months and I'd like to feel I'm valued because of that. Oh well, can't have everything I suppose ;)

Now a loyalty scheme would be a great idea :D I wonder if anyone has contacted Jessops about one?

They would probably say that to be able to match internet prices and operate high street stores and a loyalty scheme just won't add up :)

Rhys
12-02-2004, 08:20 AM
Rhys,

Can't say that I have ever ended up with a camera that doesn't work from Jessops? And I have had quite a few from them in the past.

How many cameras have you had from Jessops which don't work?

Well, I had a Pentax Super A which arrived with a broken depth of field preview lever. Pressed it once and it snapped.

The replacement had an electrical fault that the factory just didn't seem to nail down to my satisfaction. I sold that camera in the end - after a year of very unsatisfactory performance.

I had a parallel card reader that never worked.

A cheap VGA camera that never worked. Another cheap VGA camera arrived with an utterly unusable CD.

I had a Nikon 885 from them that had dead pixels all over the sensor.

I have never ever bought anything from Jessops that has ever actually worked bar film, chemicals and paper.

Jim Last
12-02-2004, 09:14 AM
So is the issue with Jessops or the relevant manufacturer?

Jessops is only selling them and not making them. If items don't work or are faulty then just because the manufacturer has shipped sub-standard products to Jessops, is this their fault :confused:

Same goes for any source of cameras I guess, a production line error could end up in any retailer.

Rhys
12-02-2004, 11:46 AM
I know Jessops is only selling them. The fact they have had not one, not two, not three, not four, not five but six items from them that never worked or were defective and which were made by different manufacturers - all of which were returned - indicates that the problem lies within Jessops. I suspect two things are happening:

1. Jessops own warehousing staff are rough with the products.
2. Jessops are buying cut-price on the basis that while they might get returns, they'll also get a lot of people who can't be bothered to return the duff items and who'll simply bin them instead or who'll return them in order to "upgrade" to a product that works.

The latter is the most likely - once somebody has paid GBP 50 for a piece of junkand returned it then the salesman already has that GBP 50 in his hand and can most likely squeeze another GBP 50 from the customer in order to sell them something twice the price of what they could afford initially.

Jim Last
12-02-2004, 01:37 PM
Could quite possibly be true. I guess you have had a load of bad experiences with them, and I would agree that this could be down to the general inter store handling and shipping.

Manstein
12-05-2004, 02:47 AM
I used to buy from Jessops when they were a box shop in Leicester in the seventies. In those days they fiercely undercut the old guard of camera shops such as Wallace Heaton and Westminster cameras. Now the wheel has turned full circle and they are the high street high margin store being run rings round by internet operators.

Jim Last
12-05-2004, 03:46 AM
Even so, they still seem to do a pretty good job of price matching the Internet sellers.

Manstein
12-05-2004, 08:05 AM
I think if you know exactly what you want then you buy off the net theres many reputable shops selling UK spec at low prices but a lot of people want to agonise over the choice and go to Jessops where they can have the gear in front of them. The price matching seems to vary from store to store I know their Southport branch was trying to sell A Sony DSC W1 for about a 100 over the going rate and wouldnt budge.

By the way what was the problem with your Panasonic?

Jim Last
12-05-2004, 09:38 AM
No problems with the Panasonic :) Great camera, just didn't need that length of zoom and wanted better wide angle without the need for adaptors and converter lenses.

Problem was with the wife :rolleyes:

Jim Last
12-05-2004, 09:40 AM
My reccommendation for Jessops was purely based on my own experience with them. I am sure that the service varies greatly from one store to another and yes there are plenty of online sellers with great prices and reputability.

Although it is nice to be able to deal with th high street if you have problems.