PDA

View Full Version : Neutral Density Filters

pagnamenta
12-21-2006, 07:32 PM
Is it possible to use a ND filter to properly expose the sky and the ground. I have exposed for the sky and the ground is of course too dark and when i've exposed for the ground the sky is washed out. A sales associate at the local Wolf Camera said that with a ND filter, I can put it on the lens so that the sky is darker and the ground is lighter and then expose for either one.

Is he right?

zmikers
12-21-2006, 07:41 PM
Is it possible to use a ND filter to properly expose the sky and the ground. I have exposed for the sky and the ground is of course too dark and when i've exposed for the ground the sky is washed out. A sales associate at the local Wolf Camera said that with a ND filter, I can put it on the lens so that the sky is darker and the ground is lighter and then expose for either one.

Is he right?

I think what you want is a graduated ND Filter. That will make the sky darker but the ground will stay light.

pagnamenta
12-21-2006, 08:17 PM
Graduated sound much better. I googled neutral density and there was nothing about the graduated. Thanks for the help.

Does anyone know any good filter brands? It seems everything at Wolf is cheap.

AlexMonro
12-22-2006, 03:33 AM
I use Cokin ND grad filters. These are square resin, which slide in an adapter which screws on to the filter thread of the lens. You can slide them up and down to get the graduation line on the horizon, and rotate them to match hillsides etc.

I believe that Lee filters are regarded as slightly higher quality, but are more expensive.

CMYanko
12-22-2006, 04:05 AM
I'm going to suggest you try the Highlight/Shadow tool in Photoshop first. There is probably a lot of detail in that underexposed 'ground' portion of your shot.

Another possible technique is to use both of your shots and sandwich them together in photoshop.

What camera do you have?

pagnamenta
12-22-2006, 09:08 AM
I've tried 'sandwiching' them in photoshop but I never get the two photos to line up exactly. Maybe there's a better way to do it. I have tried the curves button jsut for the ground and I've also done the highlights but I think it'd be nice to get the shot right and not have to play around with it in photoshop.

I have a Canon 30D with the kit lens. I have access to various lens.