PDA

View Full Version : Flashes fro Pentax K100D

Cid
12-20-2006, 10:45 PM
I have a plan to buya an external flash for my Pentax K100D, but i wonder what kind of flash should i get?
Is there any other brand of flashes that is suitable for Pentax K100D beside AF360FGZ or AF540FGZ? I feel that 540 will meet my requirement but it is too expensive..
Do i have an option here?

SpecialK
12-21-2006, 11:25 AM
You generally lose some dedicated features if you go to a third party flash. What special things to you need it to do?

Cid
01-10-2007, 10:12 PM
Well, no special things actually.. I just need external flash to shot indoor, because if i use the internal flash the picture i get sometimes is too harsh, and with an external flash if i bounch it will look better.. isn't it?

Polytrope
01-11-2007, 08:47 PM
Well, no special things actually.. I just need external flash to shot indoor, because if i use the internal flash the picture i get sometimes is too harsh, and with an external flash if i bounch it will look better.. isn't it?

Cid, are you aware that you can vary the strength of the built-in flash? When I shoot with the flash indoors, I usually lessen the intensity of the flash. It makes the photos look much more natural.

To change this, click Menu, go to the Rec Mode tab, and scroll down (or up) to Flash Exp. Comp. Drop the value to -0.3 or lower. On the other hand, if you're using flash outdoors like I was the other night to shoot an owl, you might want to push the flash UP to make it brighter.

I may get an external flash one day but so far I have not felt the need for it.

Will Porter
Dallas, Texas

SpecialK
01-12-2007, 06:48 PM
Well, the 360 will bounce, but only vertically. It will not swivel left or right like the 540, which has a few extra features (but weighs more and costs more). Rebates are on, so I might bite the bullet and get a 540.

Here's an under $100 option that might suit your needs..
http://www.adorama.com/SU440AFPXAF.html

Cid
01-28-2007, 07:10 PM
Ok, Yeah, i didn't realize that we can reduce the flash strength.. Thank you guys...

rodeknyt
02-09-2007, 10:13 AM
[QUOTE=Polytrope;189169]Cid, are you aware that you can vary the strength of the built-in flash? When I shoot with the flash indoors, I usually lessen the intensity of the flash. It makes the photos look much more natural.

To change this, click Menu, go to the Rec Mode tab, and scroll down (or up) to Flash Exp. Comp. Drop the value to -0.3 or lower. On the other hand, if you're using flash outdoors like I was the other night to shoot an owl, you might want to push the flash UP to make it brighter.

The quicker way to set flash compensation is through the function menu when you set flash mode. The rear e-Dial adjusts the setting.

michaelchan
03-10-2007, 01:15 PM
I considered the 360 and 540 for use with the k10d and the dl. Both have adequate guide numbers for my purposes. The strength of the 540 is the swivel. The strength of the 360 is the lighter weight and better balance. I went with the 360 and use a soft box or a bounce as needed. The 540 felt too heavy and unbalanced for long periods of shooting, though I probably will pick one up someday just for the swivel capability when needed.

suemccartin
03-22-2007, 07:37 AM
I'm not sure if Metz is making a dedicated module for this camera but they make great flash units. Pricey but worth it and made in germany not japan/china/korea. You can find metz potato masher units on ebay reasonable sometimes--then all you'd have to do is buy the module and the cable for it.