PDA

View Full Version : Good reference books /macs

Johanna
12-20-2006, 08:39 AM
I saw a recomendation on the forum for The Better Photo Guide To Digital Photography by Jim Miotke (which I have ordered). Are there any other good reference books for a new digital camera user -- especially for someone who is also a mac user? I saw Mac Digital Photography by Dennis R. Cohan and Erica Sadun -- does anyone have an opinion on it?

Thanks,

Johanna

CMYanko
12-20-2006, 09:43 AM
I think it was me but I'll add more anyway. I'm a big fan of everything Bryan Peterson has done. Understanding Exposure probably being my favorite though his new one on Portraiture is excellent and has some excellent Photoshop stuff in the back. I don't have his first one (some intro to digital photography but I'll probably get it soon).

I also really like Complete Digital Photography by Ben Long. It is an excellent guide to choosing a camera, very basic and brief stuff on using a camera but a huge portion of the book covers the 'digital darkroom' and for me at least it was the most approachable treatment of that subject I have seen and super helpfull.

As for the Mac, I don't find too many that are particular to the Mac but I will say get Graphic Converter X. At $30 it can handle almost every format out their and is handy for getting at RAW.

I would also recomend going into your system preferences and going through the monitor calibration routine which does a very good job. Do one in simple mode and another in advanced and save both.

Johanna
12-21-2006, 03:40 PM
Curt,

Thanks for the references and suggestions!

Johanna

zmikers
12-21-2006, 05:28 PM
I think it was me but I'll add more anyway. I'm a big fan of everything Bryan Peterson has done. Understanding Exposure probably being my favorite though his new one on Portraiture is excellent and has some excellent Photoshop stuff in the back. I don't have his first one (some intro to digital photography but I'll probably get it soon).

I also really like Complete Digital Photography by Ben Long. It is an excellent guide to choosing a camera, very basic and brief stuff on using a camera but a huge portion of the book covers the 'digital darkroom' and for me at least it was the most approachable treatment of that subject I have seen and super helpfull.

As for the Mac, I don't find too many that are particular to the Mac but I will say get Graphic Converter X. At $30 it can handle almost every format out their and is handy for getting at RAW.

I would also recomend going into your system preferences and going through the monitor calibration routine which does a very good job. Do one in simple mode and another in advanced and save both.

A bit of a repeat from the other thread, but Peterson's "Learning to see Creatively" is another great book!

CMYanko
12-21-2006, 06:47 PM
Has anyone done the 123di stuff? It looks really interesting and worth the $45 for a download. Windows only is a shame (I have a PPC Mac so now bootcamp) but I can find a PC to run it on.

Yes, Learning to See Creatively is also good though maybe my least favorite of his so far but then I was so taken by Understanding Exposure that it was a hard act to follow.

zmikers
12-21-2006, 07:12 PM
Yes, Learning to See Creatively is also good though maybe my least favorite of his so far but then I was so taken by Understanding Exposure that it was a hard act to follow.

I haven't had a chance to read "Understanding Exposure" yet, but it's next on my list. If it's better than "Learning to see Creatively" then I'm glad a started with that one so now I only have to look forward to something even better than an already great read. Thanks for the reference. ;)

CMYanko
12-26-2006, 07:32 PM
Ok, I have to confess, I've gone back to the Learning to See Creatively book and it is in fact excellent. I think my problem was a combination of two things. I didn't have my new camera yet so the topic seemed 'impractical' and I was so enamored with Understanding Exposure that I set myself up for let down.

I'm making a new years resolution to do all of the exercises in Learning to See Creatively and I think it is an excellent suggestion for getting ideas about what to shoot.