PDA

View Full Version : Canon A80 vs. S410

dykstra2122
07-26-2004, 09:43 AM
I need some help deciding between these two cameras. My needs are for a basic camera that takes excellent photos to burn, print, or send via e-mail to our family. These two seem to be the best in our price range according to consumer reports, digital camera review, and our personal "taste" (style: looks and feel).

I like things about both cameras, but need some aid in making this decision. I like the size and style of the 410. It seems like it would be a great camera to carry around and capture as many moments as we desire of our soon to be first child. What I don't like is that it is a bit more expensive than the A80 and doesn't have the manual controls or the ability to get "add-ons".

The A80 is bigger (don't like), the style is nice (not as good as 410), but it offers manual controls and allows me to purchase the "add-ons".

My wife and I are also both involved in sports and this is our first real digital camera. I learn quickly and want a camera that can "improve" my abilities as a photographer and that is why I am leaning towards the A80. If I "catch the bug" we can always upgrade to a more SLR type camera in the future, but for right now all we need is a point and shoot, but it would be nice to learn some of those manual controls for later use.

Please help.

D70FAN
07-26-2004, 10:52 AM
I'm sure that either camera would suit your needs. But there is always a little confusion over the terms "point-n-shoot" and "manual" as they apply to the sophistication of a digital camera.

All cameras can be point-n-shoots. Even $8000 dSLR's have an Auto mode that allows it to be a point-n-shoot. So you might want to take that factor out of your equation.

The A80 is not quite as portable as the S410, but it is much more versatile, not only for the manual functions, but for the swiveling LCD which will allow you to get those tough floor level shots. You'll see what I mean when the little one hits about 9 months old.

So if you want a pocket cam then go with the S410. If you want a camera that can grow with your family, the A80 might be a better choice.

Sports Photograhy:

Also since sports photography may be an important issue you might want to check out the Panasonic, Canon, and Minolta, lines of "image stabilized" ultra-zooms as well. Image stabilization is an important factor for long zoom shooting (10X-12X), and especially for sports photography. The Canon S1 IS also has the swiveling LCD and might actually be a better all-around camera to fit your needs, including sports photography, from your description. Definately not a pocket camera, but still under $500.

Also be aware that there are several new image stabilized ultra-zooms coming out from Panasonic and Minolta in the next few months. Pricing is unknown.

Discalimer: As always head down to your favorite camera store, spend some quality time, and try them all out. You may find that your choices will change.

Jake Conner
07-26-2004, 11:28 AM
List prices for the new Panasonic FZ3, FZ15, and FZ20 are $399, $499, and $599, respectively.

Jake

D70FAN
07-26-2004, 11:44 AM
List prices for the new Panasonic FZ3, FZ15, and FZ20 are $399, $499, and $599, respectively.

Jake

Thanks Jake. Even better!