PDA

View Full Version : advice on my big decsion

richard hurley
11-30-2004, 11:27 PM
Well, I'm getting a full refund from costco for my kodak digital DX6440-had to have it repaired twice-repair paid by kodak-the folks at costco said we will give you a full refund-I'm definitely a camera novice, and have shortened my list to the following 2 cameras: I'm looking for a reasonably compact camera, and willing to sacrifice quality of picture for compactness-also concerned about the quality of the lenz as well as MPs:my first choice is theSONY cybershot dsc w12 at 5.1MPs: size isH2.4,W.3.6,D 1.4:has the new zeiss vario lenz,uses AA batteries,comes with a charger: my second choice at about $ 10. less, is the SONY dsc P150, at 7.2 MPs, size is very close to to my first choice, except that it is about one inch wider; has in house lenz, batteries are proprietary(about $90.), comes with a charger. Would appreciate any comments, but please be gentle, as I am an old guy with a thin skin. thanks, rick :rolleyes:

John_Reed
12-01-2004, 07:09 AM
Well, I'm getting a full refund from costco for my kodak digital DX6440-had to have it repaired twice-repair paid by kodak-the folks at costco said we will give you a full refund-I'm definitely a camera novice, and have shortened my list to the following 2 cameras: I'm looking for a reasonably compact camera, and willing to sacrifice quality of picture for compactness-also concerned about the quality of the lenz as well as MPs:my first choice is theSONY cybershot dsc w12 at 5.1MPs: size isH2.4,W.3.6,D 1.4:has the new zeiss vario lenz,uses AA batteries,comes with a charger: my second choice at about $ 10. less, is the SONY dsc P150, at 7.2 MPs, size is very close to to my first choice, except that it is about one inch wider; has in house lenz, batteries are proprietary(about $90.), comes with a charger. Would appreciate any comments, but please be gentle, as I am an old guy with a thin skin. thanks, rick :rolleyes:You're probably not as old as I am, but having a thin skin can sometimes be painful on these cold, cruel boards! ;)

I couldn't find out much about your "DSC W12" choice; I assume it's the same as the DSC W1? First of all, you said nothing about your main reasons for having a digital camera, so it would be difficult for any of us to guide your decision. On the other hand, unless you specifically think you need to clog your memory sticks and computer with huge 7 megapixel image files, I'd stay away from the larger images of the P150, myself. The 5 megapixel files are entirely ample to make 8X10, or A4, or even larger prints, so why would you need more?

I'd say, looking at what specs I could muster, that the main choice (aside from the above) for you, is which camera feels better in your hands? Which one is easier for you to snap off good steady shots, is easier to change to any particular functions you especially want to use? I could be mistaken, but the "W1" (AKA "W12"?) also seems to have a larger display on the back, which could be a big benefit for older eyes.

Good luck in making your big decision, and enjoy your new camera!