PDA

View Full Version : dp reviews K10D

KFrog
12-15-2006, 11:06 AM
dpreview has done their review of the K10D. Check it out with the link below and give your opinions.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/pentaxk10d/

ARP
12-15-2006, 01:31 PM
Interesting review. I say that because I think a lot of people are trying to figure out which "tier" of SLR's to put the K10D...entry level, mid-range, upper range, pro, etc. and DP had the same trouble. With the $400 price difference, I'm not sure it's a fair comparison to have the K10D v. Canon E30.

It's good that they didn't find the "banding" in ISO noise that others have discussed. They say the images are little soft/unsharpened, but it seems to follow the theme of being as "hands off" as they can with the image and let the user tweak it in post processing, so I'm not sure that's a big negative. The most encouraging thing for me is that it seems to offer and lot of room to grow as far as functions and controls.

I'm not sure about others, but I like to see two "professional" reviews before I decide if I want to seriously consider it. So hurry up Jeff, Steve, etc.! :)

Joe Davis
12-21-2006, 06:50 AM
I have had my K10D for about 2 weeks now. So far it has been a dream. Feels very solid and takes fabulous pictures. It has a lot of great features my *istD doesn't that I am going to have to learn. I look forward to taking some sports pics next Spring which is primary use for it.

SpecialK
12-21-2006, 11:16 AM
Hi Joe:

I've read one person's post about "high-ISO banding" which in his ISO 1600 photo looked like dark green and black vertical lines in the dark areas. Not random noise. No one else has reported that, however.

Can you go to 1600 ISO, and shoot something that has some large shadows?

I'm interested in the K10D as a possible upgrade down the road.

Joe Davis
12-21-2006, 11:35 AM
Sure, I will do that tonite. When you say shoot something with shadows what do you mean? Have any suggestions?

I am kinda disappointed that the K10D does not go to ISO 3200. I know you shouldn't shoot that high but in came in handy at times on my *ist D.

SpecialK
12-21-2006, 12:42 PM
Sorry, I shoud have said "has a dark area" as that is where it is noticeable.

Here's the original thread.
http://www.dcresource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26215

I don't mean to scare you, but I was just wondering if a) other poster had a unique problem, and b) what did Pentax say about it in either case. Most people don't even bother asking the manufacturer - they just return things to the store.

Peleg
12-24-2006, 05:54 PM
Sorry, I shoud have said "has a dark area" as that is where it is noticeable.

Here's the original thread.
http://www.dcresource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26215

I don't mean to scare you, but I was just wondering if a) other poster had a unique problem, and b) what did Pentax say about it in either case. Most people don't even bother asking the manufacturer - they just return things to the store.

...this same picture was posted over at DPReview by someone else (or same guy using a different moniker). What you're seeing is the fake wood grain of the shelf. Nothing more. There has been some banding issues but this is not an example of it and there certainly is NOT a horrible banding issue w/ the Pentax. Timmciglobal seems to have some kind of agenda against the K10D. I have one and while it isn't perfect it's not nearly as bad as he claims.

SpecialK
12-24-2006, 06:26 PM
...this same picture was posted over at DPReview by someone else (or same guy using a different moniker). What you're seeing is the fake wood grain of the shelf. Nothing more. There has been some banding issues but this is not an example of it and there certainly is NOT a horrible banding issue w/ the Pentax. Timmciglobal seems to have some kind of agenda against the K10D. I have one and while it isn't perfect it's not nearly as bad as he claims.

Ha. That is both interesting and funny, sort of. I can see it being the shelf, or a problem - though I haven't seen any other report of banding. If I recall correctly, Tim shoots routinely at high ISO, so maybe he is a bit...sensitive to that performance :-)

Peleg
12-24-2006, 11:10 PM
I've gotten this type of "banding" only twice out of 1700 pics. A little odd. It's the white stripes running vertically in this picture.

http://Peleg.smugmug.com/photos/116024849-M.jpg

pict
12-28-2006, 10:15 AM
I've been waiting for the right camera to upgrade and am seriously considering the Pentax. My take on this review is that it is a really good camera if you plan to shoot in RAW mode and process with some third party software later - but if you use the pentax in-camera processing the images are significantly softer / less sharp than the competition.
So I'm leaning toward getting the pentax and processing with some other software. But I don't know how to go about that. Anybody know if I can do it in photoshop?
Now to decide which lens(s) to get.

Peleg
12-28-2006, 02:11 PM
I've been waiting for the right camera to upgrade and am seriously considering the Pentax. My take on this review is that it is a really good camera if you plan to shoot in RAW mode and process with some third party software later - but if you use the pentax in-camera processing the images are significantly softer / less sharp than the competition.
So I'm leaning toward getting the pentax and processing with some other software. But I don't know how to go about that. Anybody know if I can do it in photoshop?
Now to decide which lens(s) to get.

...you might want to try. I use Bibble Pro and love it. It will process both DNGs from the K10D and the native PEFs. Adobe Lightroom Beta 4 will process the DNGs. Adobe, being a Beta version, is free for now and you can try the trial version of Bibble out for a couple of weeks. Good support on their website. Silkypix also will do the K10. Bibble has a browser in it so you can see your pics on your computer whereever you've put them while w/ Adobe and Silkypix you must import them into that program from their location on your computer.

SpecialK
12-28-2006, 05:36 PM
Can't you adjust some settings, such as sharpness?

Also, does it come with Photo Laboratory? Our beloved Jeff right here at DCRP says..."This is a pretty hardcore product, letting you adjust almost every RAW property imaginable. It's got basics like exposure, saturation, contrast, and sharpness covered. There are nice white balance controls, plus you can reduce noise, chromatic aberrations, and lens distortion as well. If that's still not enough, you can play with tone curves to your heart's desire."

You can also use it to convert from PEF to the more common DNG so you can use Photoshop if desired.

I'm a RAW rookie, so what's left?

Peleg
12-28-2006, 09:49 PM
...does allow you to do quite a bit. For me it's just too cumbersome. I like all my adjustments readily available at once. Plus the preview pic you work w/ to check your adjustments is very small. I like it much bigger. Others may like it.

SpecialK
12-29-2006, 06:42 PM
...does allow you to do quite a bit. For me it's just too cumbersome. I like all my adjustments readily available at once. Plus the preview pic you work w/ to check your adjustments is very small. I like it much bigger. Others may like it.

I know what you mean. You can resize the preview window larger, but unfortunately you can't make the adjustment windows smaller to get all 5 or 6 on the page without overlapping. That's a shame as they are needlessly large :-( Guess I better send a suggestion to Pentax for the next update :-)

CptOfGondor
12-29-2006, 11:15 PM
I guess I won't be counting on Samsung for any firmware updates anytime soon.

Phill D
12-30-2006, 10:22 PM
Peleg those stripes look like rain to me? Can't blame the camera if it is but at least it is weather sealed;)

Peleg
12-31-2006, 03:43 PM
Others have said melting snow. But it was neither. I was there and it wasn't doing any of that. If you look at a large enough version of the pic you'll see the streaks line up w/ the drooping parts of the snow. It looks like the streaks are "dripping" from the log to the patch of moss below but the moss was 18 inches or so closer to me than the log. It's not a big deal and it only happened 4 times out of 1800. I'm not experiencing the banding some others are claiming this camera does so badly. I really, really like my K10!

Phill D
12-31-2006, 11:48 PM
As you say it doesn't seem to happen very often so probably not an issue. I'm glad you have not seen the other banding that Timmciglobal was talking about. Can you post some of your shots to show off what the camera is capable of. It's at the top of my wish list & it would be good to see shots from happy K10D owners.

Peleg
01-01-2007, 02:12 PM
Though I wouldn't set myself up as any prime pic taker w/ the K10..but I try.

http://Peleg.smugmug.com/photos/119336749-M.jpg

http://Peleg.smugmug.com/photos/119947676-M.jpg

http://Peleg.smugmug.com/photos/116874474-M.jpg

Peleg
01-01-2007, 02:18 PM
http://Peleg.smugmug.com/photos/119950603-M.jpg

http://Peleg.smugmug.com/photos/117244484-M.jpg

Polytrope
01-02-2007, 09:41 AM
Others have said melting snow. But it was neither.... I really, really like my K10!

Peleg,

I'm just curious: Was there a hood on the lens when you took the picture of the snow with the white vertical striping?

Liked the pictures you posted links to, by the way.

Will

Peleg
01-02-2007, 02:43 PM
...but I think there might have been but I can't be sure. Both times these streaks showed up were pics of under a tree where there was wet earth and quite dark w/ bright snow above and around the ground area. I've never seen anything like it any other time.

Phill D
01-04-2007, 04:39 PM
Nice shots Peleg thanks for posting.