PDA

View Full Version : 4 meg w/hardware interpolation???

DianneW
11-30-2004, 07:03 PM
I am looking to purchase a Medion camera that states it has 3.0 megapixels, 4 megapixels with hardware interpolation. What does this mean??? Thanks for your help.

D70FAN
11-30-2004, 08:35 PM
I am looking to purchase a Medion camera that states it has 3.0 megapixels, 4 megapixels with hardware interpolation. What does this mean??? Thanks for your help.

It means think carefully before spending you money. I have not heard of Medion cameras. Is there a particular reason for buying this model?

Could you show us where you found it?

haikai
11-30-2004, 09:49 PM

as i understand it, hardware interpolation just means that the camera tries to increase the image size using various algorithms and such... the idea is that you end up with a larger image than was originally captured, but without the usual image degradation you would get from simply enlarging an image digitally yourself... ideally.

realistically, i wouldn't base any purchase decisions on hardware interpolation performance. from examples i have seen of this kind of technology on other cameras, the end result is not a good substitute for the real thing. i'd recommend looking for a camera that is able to capture 4 megapixels out of the box if 4 is the number you are after.

Fuji seems to have a few cams that do hardware interpolation... like going from a 6 mp image to a whopping 12 mp and such. i don't own one so i can't comment on the practicality of this, but if you think about it, however good this technology is, if you didn't capture a certain level of detail in the original image, how in the world is a camera going to know to recreate the missing detail after the fact? it's just filling in the gaps by guessing. it might be a little useful if you're in a bind and really need to print something larger than you could with the normal image size, but don't expect miracles ;)

hai

John_Reed
11-30-2004, 09:58 PM
I am looking to purchase a Medion camera that states it has 3.0 megapixels, 4 megapixels with hardware interpolation. What does this mean??? Thanks for your help.What that means is that the camera has an actual 3 megapixel sensor, but through a process of hardware interpolation, the output images have 4 megapixels. This sounds a little scary, and you'd be just as well off to purchase a 3 megapixel camera. But I see that there are a lot of Medion photos posted on various websites, so it's possible they have something there. Can you tell us more about this camera, which particular model you were looking at, where you found it, and why it's attractive to you? :confused:

DianneW
12-01-2004, 04:27 PM
Okay this is the deal. I need to buy 2 inexpensive digital camera's for my nephew who are in their 20's and tend to misplace things. I found the medion camera's at ALDI's which is a German owned grocery store. They are offering a 4*MP (with hardware interpolation), 32 mb flash memory, tripod, USB cable, carrying strap for $79.99. This camera only has 4x digital zoom, 1.5" color LCD display. I am having a hard time picking something because I lived on your site last year and learned so much about digital camera's and found mine (Canon A80) which I love! I am in real estate and clients think I use a professional to take the pics. I also picked up a DXG 3 meg dig. camera at Kohls for $69.00 and am trying to figure out which one is the best. If anyone has any other ideas - I am all ears.

John_Reed
12-01-2004, 06:14 PM
Okay this is the deal. I need to buy 2 inexpensive digital camera's for my nephew who are in their 20's and tend to misplace things. I found the medion camera's at ALDI's which is a German owned grocery store. They are offering a 4*MP (with hardware interpolation), 32 mb flash memory, tripod, USB cable, carrying strap for $79.99. This camera only has 4x digital zoom, 1.5" color LCD display. I am having a hard time picking something because I lived on your site last year and learned so much about digital camera's and found mine (Canon A80) which I love! I am in real estate and clients think I use a professional to take the pics. I also picked up a DXG 3 meg dig. camera at Kohls for $69.00 and am trying to figure out which one is the best. If anyone has any other ideas - I am all ears.But as far as I can tell, neither the Medion nor the DXG cameras have any optical zoom, so you're stuck with fixed-focal length images, unless you use digital zoom, and frankly, I wouldn't rely much on digital zoom for such cheap hardware, for any kind of decent results. I don't know about the Medion, but the DXG won't run on Macintosh, if that's any consideration. (Although a card reader would certainly circumvent that limitation) None of these cameras will produce anything like the stuff you get from your A80. On the other hand, if they're cheap enough, you might just pick up one of each and try it, and return the greater of the two evils. :(

DianneW
12-01-2004, 07:25 PM
Thanks for all your wisdom. Since I have been on this site, I can walk into any electronics store and start talking digital and suddenly find people starting to crowd around and I tell them all to go to this site and give them the web address. I tell them if they are really serious about finding a good camera to look here before buying. Therefore, with a limited budget, I am driving myself nuts trying not to buy junk for my nephews. Such a problem! Knowing that optical zoom is sooo important. Thanks and keep up the good work and I'll continue spreading the web site!

DianneW

rtrev64
12-27-2004, 07:59 AM
I am looking at this ad for a job.

it says-Photographer

Fastest growing apt locators seeking real estate photographer ASAP.. must have transportation, DIGITAL CAMARA and to take and edit 4 meg photos.

I am assuming 4 megapixals photos..? I have a digital camcorder and a digital camara<---------------not a 4 meg..

edit photos? like what kind of editing they do? just crop it shrink it?

haikai
12-29-2004, 01:01 PM
I am looking at this ad for a job.

it says-Photographer

Fastest growing apt locators seeking real estate photographer ASAP.. must have transportation, DIGITAL CAMARA and to take and edit 4 meg photos.

I am assuming 4 megapixals photos..? I have a digital camcorder and a digital camara<---------------not a 4 meg..

edit photos? like what kind of editing they do? just crop it shrink it?

i'm not sure why you posted this question on this particular thread...

since this is a real estate place, i assume by "editing" that they might mean something as simple as cropping and shrinking, but may also entail some basic color correction or maybe even some image editing like removing unwanted elements and cleaning up a property to make it look more attractive to prospective buyers. of course, you may want to call and ask them first, but they're probably not looking for anything too complex if you are at all familiar with photoshop.

hai