PDA

View Full Version : Vacations and Digital Photography

cgl88
12-12-2006, 04:45 PM
I have learnt to make the most out of my digital camera and am logging these ideas. I would invite members here to add to my very limited list. This experience was based on my vacation in Italy. I did a search on this site to ensure I am not re-posting the same ideas.

Scenes versus people: - Scenes can be boring. People in scenes can be compromising. What I do is take a picture of the scene on its own, then with people (friends I travel with, self) in them. Digital pictures are free. Take advantage of it!

Speaking of background scenes: Unless you have the new Canon with the Digics III face recognition, remember what your focus is. Don't forget to focus on your subject, press the shutter half way, then frame the scene/background. There's nothing worse than having two things but neither complementing each other (in short, a lost shot).

Admittedly, the InfoLithium Sony battery is useful to let you know how many minutes of power you have left.

Night Shots: - Did you forget your tripod? So what? Use a bench, a bridge, a nearby table, or anything level to lay the camera. Next, I set the camera to TIMER mode so pressing the shutter does not shake it.

Special note about Italy
When you visit museums and churches, the word you will keep hearing is silenzio and "No flash!" Use the same method as above. I captured so many decent photos in this way.

Wait! Pressing the shutter might shake the camera! Set the camera on timer mode before you frame the shot.

Other:

Learn your camera a few weeks before your trip. Practice!!! Try indoor, outdoor, etc. so you know the limitations of your camera.

I learnt slow-sync flash captured backgrounds at night that I otherwise would not have captured had I not experimented with the camera. Of course, you really need to stay very still if you are the subject of the photo!

Videos

Take videos with your point and shoot! Short clips of the scenery, the tour guide talking, or something that captures the essence of the country. Pictures are worth a thousand words, but videos are worth a thousand dimensions!

Last but not least... Enjoy your trip. Enjoy the tour. Enjoy the people you meet and are with.

Photography is always secondary. However, with things like tours, you're in a rush, so take a quick second to compose your shot, set, and click. Sure, new cameras have Image Stabilization, but it does not work all the time.

Please, I invite you all to add to my very short list.