PDA

View Full Version : Indoor household lighting

dws1117
12-11-2006, 09:59 PM
My question concerns normal lighting. In my family room, where we spend most of our time, has just the standard 5 incandescent light ceiling fan. Right now it has the normal standard cheap old GE 60W incandescent light bulbs. The photos are somewhat yellowish. What bulbs would be recommend to improve things? I am thinking something like the GE Reveal or Sylvania Daylight series. Would the Fluorescent Tube be better than incandescent?

I know that lighting won't solve all of the problems just hoping it can help some.

The camera is a Pentax K100D in full auto mode. From the reviews I know that this is camera / kit lens can have a few small issues with white balance.

FWIW I can get much better shots when not in full auto and messing with different settings but I am concerned with general shooting in the evening and times like Christmas morning when I won't be taking time to play with settings. This is my first DSLR and I'm a major rookie.

Vich
12-12-2006, 12:12 AM
My question concerns normal lighting. In my family room, where we spend most of our time, has just the standard 5 incandescent light ceiling fan. Right now it has the normal standard cheap old GE 60W incandescent light bulbs. The photos are somewhat yellowish. What bulbs would be recommend to improve things? I am thinking something like the GE Reveal or Sylvania Daylight series. Would the Fluorescent Tube be better than incandescent?

I know that lighting won't solve all of the problems just hoping it can help some.

The camera is a Pentax K100D in full auto mode. From the reviews I know that this is camera / kit lens can have a few small issues with white balance.

FWIW I can get much better shots when not in full auto and messing with different settings but I am concerned with general shooting in the evening and times like Christmas morning when I won't be taking time to play with settings. This is my first DSLR and I'm a major rookie.
Well, you could shoot in RAW then just change it later. All you would need is a single white-balance reference shot to get the settings then always use that.

Sorry; lost my link for how-to. That seems simpler than changing your light bulbs - that's a solution born of film days, when on-demand White Balance wasn't an option.

sla
12-12-2006, 08:12 AM
Hi
I really recommend you to try manual WB. If you leave everything else in auto, you still have "auto" mode with manual white balance.
Look into your user manual and try, it's really not difficult. You set it once and you may have good colours during all evening. And you woudln't have to worry what kind of bulbs to use. It's worth it. And it's cheap. ;) You may be surprised how good colours can be. And if you would make photos in your friends' home, you won't have to change their bulbs ;)
regards
s.

dws1117
12-12-2006, 08:48 AM
Thanks. I'll try to mess with the white balance as suggested.

SpecialK
12-12-2006, 10:33 AM
Set the WB to tungsten for best results in that light. As Vich points out, you must reset it if you go outside. But you look at your first picture in new shooting environments as a check...don't you? :-)

SpecialK
12-12-2006, 06:27 PM
I somehow shot a whole day at -1/2 EV by mistake after fiddling with settings for one early shot. Thank goodness for post-processing though I rarely do it unless I am showing an image to you guys :-)

mister sammy
12-20-2006, 09:47 PM
I recently purchased the fuji f31d and cannot seem to take good indoor pictures of my cats. There is always a lot of glare in the eyes. Please help!:confused:

sla
12-21-2006, 01:37 AM
I recently purchased the fuji f31d and cannot seem to take good indoor pictures of my cats. There is always a lot of glare in the eyes. Please help!:confused:

Hi
mister sammy, not sure what you mean. Post a photo as an example.
I suppose you have flash lamp turned on . Turn it off (for example switch to "natural light"). F31 should be good in taking photos without flash.
regards

mister sammy
12-23-2006, 10:09 AM
You're right. I was thrown off my first time using the camera because I was trying to take pictures at night in a very dark apartment. I was able to take some great shots using the natural light feature today and will post them as soon as I figure out how to do so.