PDA

View Full Version : Canon A80 vs S60 ?

Ausin
07-26-2004, 08:00 AM
Hi,

Can't decide between these two (ignoring the price). Also a bit worried about the general shutter lag on Canon cameras and soft images I read about. Are they annoyingily bad ?
Also :

1- Is the RAW format very important for image processing (A80 only has JPEG) ?
2- How is the battery life on S60 (I know A80 is excellent with AAs) ?
3- Is handling of A80 that much better than S60 ? (but S60 is a bit lighter and more compact)
4- Does size matter 1.5" <> 1.8" LCDs ? (I know A80 swivel etc...)
5- What is the LCD resolution and color range of A80 ? (All spec sites missing this)
6- Better video on S60 (640x480) can't be much of a factor I guess, for occasional use. Or is the A80 video really useless). Considering both 15fps
7- Is the flash on S60 better than A80, and does it make any significant difference on the picture ?
8- I read some bad stories of S60 built and unreliability !
9- What is this about Chinese and Japanese made A80 being very different ?
10- Are the lens convertor and adapter any good on A80 or is it just a gimmick ? Anybody taken any pics and seen the quality ? (I heard flash can't be used with the adaptor on)

Please answer any questions that you can but don't quote specs for these (I have already surfed 100s if not 1000s of web pages on these and have all of that, and still can't make up my mind !?!?). I am really after personal hands on experiences.

Cheers,

Ausin

jamison55
07-26-2004, 12:54 PM
I can't answer all of your questions, but perhaps I can field a few (as a former A80 owner).

- Raw Format - I have it now on my DReb, but have never used it (even on my pay shoots). To my mind it seems to be to labor intensive for too small of a bump in image quality. There are peole here who will argue all day, but 8x10's from jpegs look as good as I ever got from 35mm.

- A80 handles quite well. I chose it over the s50 at the time, liking the extra grip that the A80 provides.

- Don't dismiss the LCD swivel. I'd trade it for size any day. In addition to the over the crowd and self shots it allows you to take, it is great for holding the camera in a more stable, waist level position.

- Don't know about the S60, but the flash on the A80 produces pretty bad redeye.

- Lens convertor is certainly not a gimmick. I had a lens convertor with a Olympus c180 1.7x TC. Was very useful in extending the range of the lens and shortening the DOF. I purchasesd the whole rig on EBay for about $35. Here's a link to a post on the subject: http://forums.powershot-a.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8199

Holpe this helps. I honestly think you can't go wrong with either choice!

Ausin
07-26-2004, 06:14 PM
Thanks for your reply,

I got answers to a few more:

- The LCD screen on A80 has 67K pixel (everyone seems to be happy with the sharpness)
- The movie mode on A80 is not completely useless, here is an example:
http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/canon/powershot_a80-review/MVI_2332.AVI
- And indoor flash photos can be greatly improved by choosing manual white balance and correct use of Red-eye etc.

I think I am convinced now. I have a bit of Canon paranoia, although I have a Canon 300 35mm SLR with some extra lenses, I regret everyday that I should have gone with Nikon SLR (that was 2001). Canon metering and focus on 300 is a bit of a hit and miss on auto mode (well if you spend a 10min setting it up I guess it’ll be fine, but you sometime want to p&s). I am saving for a Nikon D70, till then A80 would do.

One quick question if I buy a Canon camera abroad (I am UK based), does the manufacturer’s warranty still valid in UK? (I know some manufacturers have worldwide warranty).

Ausin