PDA

View Full Version : What Lengths do you go to for a good shot?

bigburb
12-05-2006, 04:49 AM
How Far would you go to get a good shot?

Every morning I've driven to work this week I spot what would make a great picture: the silhouette of the houston skyline against the sky just before sunrise. the only problem is that I'd have to hike up a freeway crossover about a half mile to take the shot, with cars whizzing by. Besides being slightly dangerous, I'm not too sure law enforcement would be too keen on the idea.

bigburb
12-05-2006, 04:50 AM
By the way, Hi I'm new here! Been surfing for a while and have a K10D on order!

GaryS
12-05-2006, 07:57 AM
Hmmm..... Personally, I love to do crazy stuff to get pictures. But crossing a freeway (or even walking along one)? Thats a bit too much.

I'll climb a tree or lay in the dirt, slash through water, stand on train trestles or sit next to traffic on a busy street or highway. But not a freeway. Too many idiots driving cars for that.

Welcome to the forums! Post lots of pics.

toriaj
12-05-2006, 06:48 PM
I've been tempted to stop on the freeway myself ... but I remind myself that it is illegal (at least it is here.) I have looked for frontage roads, dirt roads, etc. though.

The most unsafe situation I've ever been in to get a shot was climbing up the rocky, slippery slope to get a better angle on a waterfall. As I was sliding down the slope, tripod, camera, and all, I was thinking, "It won't be worth it if I break all my equipment!" Thank goodness I only slid a few inches, got the shot, packed up the equipment, and then carefully made my way down the slope :D

Vich
12-05-2006, 07:12 PM
Back in the film days (figure '89), on a week-long rafting trip through some huge ravines down the Salmon river (forget which fork). Final day was camping beneath some high simi-cliffs. I climbed about 800 feet up, mostly cliffsides, by myself. Looking back, it was pretty stupid since nobody knew where I was, and this was a designated wilderness area (meaning no roads, no communications, just a few lone rafters and occassional pack-mule on the trails for a 100 mile or so stretch). I just wanted to go where it was likely nobody had been for many years so seeked out the most dangerous and remote "path" possible (ahhh, to be young again).

Got a shot great shot for the troubles. 35mm FOV, looking down the river bends and canyons, campsite beneath us with people milling around in warm coats (it was cold), campfire smoke trailing up, just close enough to make out the tiny people. Very inviting.

Need to find and scan that baby some time. They could easily have put it on the brochure cover.

Not done entirely just for a photo, but that was part of it.

TNB
12-05-2006, 10:18 PM

I didn't go too far to get this photo. By the way, this truck is racing down an off-road course and this photo is NOT cropped (I also have numerous other photos taken a little further back).

http://image.rcuniverse.com/forum/upfiles/70716/Kh17533.jpg

However, a photo that I took of an R/C Helicopter flying a "tic-tock" just a few inches from my camera hood was probably more dangerous; however, I'm not going to post that photo since it should be one of several published and released within the next few months.

Vich
12-06-2006, 02:40 PM
Not a big hardship here, but did pull off the road and make my family wait 10 minutes as a 6 hour drive awaited us.
http://FLASHME.smugmug.com/photos/59843848-L.jpg

bigburb
12-06-2006, 06:06 PM
that's awesome guy, i've never taken any huge risks for a photo, yet. i've just now taken off with my photography hobby so i have many great pictures to take yet.

SpecialK
12-09-2006, 05:04 PM
I have not done any particular risky shots - some one-hand shots while I was on my motorcycle, maybe.

However, I have heard of people at the Grand Canyon and similar places walking near the edge with the camera up to their eye. Some never come back...

Razr
12-10-2006, 07:45 AM

Every morning I've driven to work this week I spot what would make a great picture: the silhouette of the houston skyline against the sky just before sunrise. the only problem is that I'd have to hike up a freeway crossover about a half mile to take the shot, with cars whizzing by. Besides being slightly dangerous, I'm not too sure law enforcement would be too keen on the idea.

A bit of "Googling" would show you any ancillary roads on the side of the highway from where you want to shoot.
You have to have the GPS position or mile marker address

Once you've established where you need to be, take off one weekend morning, drive to the opportune spot and shoot.
Make a breakfast shoot of the adventure, bringing the wife/partner/kids/dog. Shoot then eat;
"Nothing smells as good in the morning as a Denny's Grand Slam Breakfast"!

Pave
12-11-2006, 02:06 PM
Well...I've already done quite a lot of maybe dangerous and sometimes even a bit unlawfull things when looking for pics. When I look back and think of it I can't believe how stupid I can be sometimes...
I've climbed a TV-tower (climbing on the construction from outside because the ladder was locked) in order to have a nice view over the surrounding landscape. Once (and that was the worst experience) I've been caught in a swamp and almost didn't get out (thanks goodnes for my army boots and all the stuff I carry around). And once i got really pretty scared in a graveyard. I can tell you at midnight with full moon the atmosphere of a out-of-town graveyard is really something special...and could get pretty unpleasant in a sec too...
Last holiday (in Monte Negro) I stayed on an almost unaccesable rocky beach under extremely steep slope (in fact a cliff....sort of) until dark in order to take a picture of the sun setting in the sea (eventually it turned out the sun moved a bit and it set behind some peninsula, not the sea). Only when it really got dark I realized I had absolutely no idea how to get back up the slope. During the ascent I almost fell from about 50m several times and in the end got nearly scared to death by a snake which eventually turned out to be a stick with strange pattern on it and when I stepped on it, it somehow turned and looked exactly like a snake biting you in your foot in self-defense

When I read this post again in order to find typing errors or solecisms...I can't stop thinking what an idiot I am...

Pave
12-11-2006, 02:38 PM
mental image ... freeway sign of dashing photographer with tripod and camera in tow. lol
lol
good idea...if cows, mosquitos, mooses and many other animals have their signs, why couldn't photographers? :D

TNB
12-11-2006, 04:16 PM
Don't they? I thought it was something like "50 Points". :p

Vich
01-10-2007, 10:31 AM
this idiot has to take the cake. :eek:

http://FLASHME.smugmug.com/photos/122333825-L.jpg

Especially considering this:
http://FLASHME.smugmug.com/photos/122333842-L.jpg

As if the Grand Canyon is so small that 10 feet closer will make any difference.

GaryS
01-10-2007, 11:07 AM
Pave, your stories had me rolling.... Thanks for sharing.

Pave
01-10-2007, 02:50 PM
Vich: lol, this guy is exactly what I call an "organ-donor" . . . . Just can't believe he really jumped it...

Dustyporch: I'm glad it amused someone...myself, personaly, I'm a bit scared of what I'm gonna do next :D

TNB
01-10-2007, 03:17 PM
No follow-up photo of any "splat"?

zmikers
01-10-2007, 09:42 PM

http://FLASHME.smugmug.com/photos/122333825-L.jpg

As if the Grand Canyon is so small that 10 feet closer will make any difference.

That seems even more stupid if you think that the guy taking the photo of the idiot propbably has a better spot. It looks higher to me and probably more safe too. Thanks for this post Vich. Puts things into perspective eh?

Kenen
01-11-2007, 01:44 AM
I have not done any particular risky shots - some one-hand shots while I was on my motorcycle, maybe.

However, I have heard of people at the Grand Canyon and similar places walking near the edge with the camera up to their eye. Some never come back...

One of those would have been me, only I came back, just barely. Oh, and I didn't have my camera to my eye when I walked up to the ledge, it was around my neck, which is probably why I made it out alive. I worked out a way to stable myself before taking a picture. The hard part then, was getting back up (I had hiked down below a view point about 40 ft.) and out alive... :o It's not a good idea I can tell you. Atleast there was no jumping involved like those pictures... ;)

aebult
01-11-2007, 02:53 PM
That seems even more stupid if you think that the guy taking the photo of the idiot propbably has a better spot. It looks higher to me and probably more safe too. Thanks for this post Vich. Puts things into perspective eh?

I am thinking that they probably were in a helicopter. The helicopter probably dropped him up there too. Stupid, nonetheless.

mjsneddon
01-25-2007, 08:11 AM
First of all, I am not fool hardy (like the guy pictured in the earlier post). I don't even think that I take risks in order to capture a picture. But my wife (who is afraid of heights) thinks otherwise. On one occasion, about a dozen years ago, my wife and I were hiking a trail in Zion National Park. I proceeded to get a bit closer to the edge of a cliff for the purpose of taking some photos when my wife called me back and told me to hand over the keys to our car as she wanted to be able to drive home after I fell off the cliff! Such a sweet woman!

zmikers
01-25-2007, 06:53 PM
First of all, I am not fool hardy (like the guy pictured in the earlier post). I don't even think that I take risks in order to capture a picture. But my wife (who is afraid of heights) thinks otherwise. On one occasion, about a dozen years ago, my wife and I were hiking a trail in Zion National Park. I proceeded to get a bit closer to the edge of a cliff for the purpose of taking some photos when my wife called me back and told me to hand over the keys to our car as she wanted to be able to drive home after I fell off the cliff! Such a sweet woman!

LMAO.....that is a great response from you wife........love it:p

reppans
01-25-2007, 08:03 PM

That does take the cake... almost seem too unbelievable to be real. Making that jump one-handed with slip-on mocs - at least his gear looks safe and secure in his other hand :D.

In his defense, it doesn't look like he was trying to get 10 feet closer - rather, he seems to be shooting at a downward angle, and he *had* to make the jump or the outcrop would have been in his way ;).