PDA

View Full Version : Arghhhhhhhh!!!!!!

ddolfe
12-01-2006, 10:59 PM
Help me please! I just bought the Evolt 500 and am already confused about 1 thing......Can't I use the LCD screen in place of the viewfinder like I could on my Non DSLR Fuji? If so....HOW???:confused:

kgosden
12-01-2006, 11:29 PM
Obviously you should have done some research and in store testing before purchasing. Except for the Olympus E-330 and the new Panasonic no D-SLR's support live previewing on the LCD; end of story. The larger sensors used in most D-SLR's would consume large amounts of power and rapidly overheat if left on continuously to support live LCD viewing. In addition, most people buy an SLR type of camera for the clarity and low light capability of the optical, through-the-lens viewfinder.

Phill D
12-01-2006, 11:32 PM
Sorry ddolfe most dslrs are like that. If you want the live LCD view facility in a dslr you need to go for the Olympus E330 or the Panasonic L1. I suggest you take it back & get the E330 unless you are prepared to part with lots of extra cash for the L1.

ddolfe
12-02-2006, 12:16 AM
Thank you for the pointers. I guess it was just a question that I never thought to ask when I purchased it. I used a 35mm for years, so am accustomed to the regular viewfinder but just wanted to know if the LCD was an option as well. Thanks for the good info! Did I make a good choice for my 1st DSLR?

Phill D
12-02-2006, 12:09 PM
Don't worry I don't think you can make a bad choice if you like the way the camera feels in your hands. Norm who posts here quite often uses an Oly & his shots are pretty impressive have a look at some of his posts.

kgosden
12-02-2006, 10:04 PM
I think you will find the E500 to be a fine camera. The 2 lens kit is a great value and offers features that are not on most other companies entry level models at the same price point. I have had mine for about a year and am very happy with it. Do read the manual and look through the reviews here and on other sites like dpreview.com as these generally offer good menu screen shots that can be easier to follow than the Olympus manual.

The one thing you will want to do is reprogram the custom white balance button. It is too easy to accidently hit it with your right thumb. When you do this and then press the shutter button twice you will have set the white balance to whatever was the average of the scene at that time. This leads to some very funky colored photos.

Gary24
12-04-2006, 12:02 PM
That's OK while I was looking at the E500 in the store I asked the sales guy if it did video...he just smiled and said "It's a digital SLR. There is a mirror in the way. It can't do video or preview." and I smacked myself in the head and said "Oh yeah that kind of makes sense"...LOL

Love the Camera though. The kit lens are good but need to be faster for low light use and the AF can be tough in low light as well.

www.how-wood.com