PDA

View Full Version : Lens selection

JPRATT
12-01-2006, 10:54 AM
for the kind of shooting I'd like to do. I'm wondering is there's one lens that can work all the shooting I like to do. Or if there's 2 or 3 lens that won't break the bank account out there I can buy.

Soon I'll be buying a K100D, my plan was to get the kit lens that comes with the camera, and maybe the 55-200mm lens that alot of people seem to reccomend. Here's the type of shooting I like to do.

Macro/close up
Landscape/architecture/telephoto
wide angle stuff.

The lens don't have to be new, and they can also be Manual focus. SO throw out some old school len selections too. Thanks for any info guys&gals. :D

Colin T
12-01-2006, 01:38 PM
Hi JPRATT

There is always a lens that does everything but it will cost you the earth. You are better off buying a telephoto, a wide angle and a macro lens seperately. You willl get better pictures and the overall cost should be significantly cheaper than trying to find an all in one lens.

re: buying the K100D with a twin lens kit. If the lenses are sigma DC lenses and are not sigma EX lenses, don't get them. The sigma EX lenses are good while the other cheaper simga lenses are farely average. If the lenses are genuine Pentax that is fine.

The guys at Pentax recommended I buy a smc-DA 50-200mm zoom (F4-5.6), a smc-DA 16-45mm (F4), and a 50 or 100mm macro lens. These lenses are genuine Pentax and the first two are designed for digital cameras whereas the macro lens is from a 35mm SLR but apparently it will work fine. Prices range between $500-600AU per lens. Look around and get them from the cheapest place you can find.

The other lens they suggested was a sigma EX DG 24-70mm (F2.8) with a macro lens built into it. That is selling for about $600 and gives you a macro and a moderately wide angle lens. It also has a low F-stop # and that helps things work a bit better, especially in low light.

JPRATT
12-03-2006, 07:03 PM
Thanks Colin. I think I'm going to work with the kit lens, then go for the 50-200mm pentax lens. Then decide which I want to buy after that. :D