PDA

View Full Version : Reflection in night shot

thebubster
11-29-2006, 07:51 PM
I'm brand new to the forums, but was able to use the fabulous reviews section in helping my decision to purchase a Nikon D80 recently. I also picked up the 55-200mm and 18-70mm Nikkor lenses. It's my first digital SLR, and has allowed me to get back into amateur photography (it's been a while!).

With the 55-200mm lens I took some shots of the crescent moon last week, but I got a reflection of the moon in all my shots. I've attached a couple as examples. I know I need work on my technique and settings, but my question here is what is causing the reflection? I do have a UV protector filter on the lens. Is that it? I read the recent post about the rainbow halo, but thought this was different enough to start a separate thread. Let me know if more info is needed. Thanks.

forno
11-29-2006, 08:17 PM
As you thought, it will more than likely be the UV

SpecialK
12-09-2006, 05:44 PM
I'd be surprised if it was the filter. Lots of people, if not all, use them. But try a shot with and without it for the easy answer.

I'm just hoping it's not an asteroid :-)

Sinister 6
12-13-2006, 07:59 PM
Where you using a lens hood?

glennp
12-14-2006, 10:29 AM
It's either the UV filter or flare in the lens itself. Remove the filter and you'll have the answer. If it's the lens, you can't eliminate flare for all conditions, you'll just have to try to find a lens less prone to flare or just work around it.

Sinister 6
12-18-2006, 04:40 PM
I think I noticed a similar effect in one of my long exposure shoots. When you took the picture was did you cover your viewfinder?

Pave
12-20-2006, 12:08 AM
IMHO it's definitely the filter...
I had similar problems when I took night-shots with my UV-filter on. When I removed it, the reflection was very reduced or completey disappeared.