PDA

View Full Version : Is it my lens?

fagin1969
11-28-2006, 01:21 PM
I recently purchased a Sony A100 and made the jump to digital. I have a Sigma 28-300 that I used on my old Minolta 5000. Here is the dilemma...when I take a picture using the Auto setting, with the automatic flash up, and with the zoom fully extended, the picture is completely dark. If I don't use a flash at all, the picture is dark, but much lighter than with the flash.

Is this a lens thing? Do I need an adapter because it isn't a "digital" lens? One of the reasons I purchased the Sony was to use this lens, so I would prefer not to have to purchase a new lens. Any help would be appreciated.

DonSchap
12-01-2006, 04:24 PM
This sounds vaguely like a flash-sync issue. Is it with the built-in flash?

It also sounds like something you could demonstrate in a camera store for a "closer, hands-on technical look." It's probably something glaringly... simple.

fagin1969
12-06-2006, 06:37 AM
It is with the built in flash. I did take the camera and lens in, and for whatever reason, when the flash is up on my camera, the camera sets to F16. I can manually change the aperture setting and get it down to about 7.

The clerk tried a Sony 18-200 mm lens, and although it was better, it was still at F9 with the auto feature. He also tried my lens on their camera to see if it was my camera, but the same thing happened. I guess I'm stuck with manually setting the aperture.