PDA

View Full Version : Night Launch of Space Shuttle

ttfn
11-27-2006, 08:01 PM
I am probably going to get a Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ1 tomorrow so that I can photograph the launch of the Space Shuttle next week (~Dec 7, 2006). I like the idea that it has high (10x) optical zoom, but it is also compact, making it useful to me for general photography.

To help me up the learning curve, how would you take a night action shot using this camera? Any recommendations on the settings to use? Unfortunately, I won't have a lot of chances to take the pictures and review the results! Any suggestions, not limited to this camera, would also be welcome.

Thanks!

ttfn

JLV
11-28-2006, 06:20 AM
Hopefully someone else can give you more help then this. Here is what I would try: I would use a high ISO. I would use spot metering and focus. If possible I would use a tripod or some other stabilizing device. As you only have one try, you cannot do much experimenting.

I hope you will post some of your photos of the launch here.

Good luck and have fun.

ttfn
01-02-2007, 11:22 AM
I ended up buying a Canon powershot S2. Better optical zoom, especially the overall magnification, and a viewfinder (though digital, not "real"). However, it is MUCH larger, so it doesn't really satisfy the need for convenient normal photography.

And I was not fully aware of all the best settings for that camera either, when it came time for the launch. And when I pulled the camera away from my eyes, my goodness, what a view! Eye popping.

ttfn

JLV
01-02-2007, 04:33 PM
Post some of your photos. I am sure we would enjoy seeing them.