PDA

View Full Version : Sony vs Kodak

Perdiem856NJ
11-28-2004, 07:15 PM
To All,

I have spent the last few days, looking at DCs - and after countless reviews and forums... we have narrowed our search to two models.

Kodak DX-7630
Sony DSC-W1

Lithium-Ion vs NiMH

any thoughts...

Thanks.

smarter_child
11-30-2004, 10:27 AM
To All,

I have spent the last few days, looking at DCs - and after countless reviews and forums... we have narrowed our search to two models.

Kodak DX-7630
Sony DSC-W1

Lithium-Ion vs NiMH

any thoughts...

Thanks.
The Kodak DX7630 is very fast in terms of performance, and it produces decent images with pretty good exposure and, from what I see, generally low noise. I love the fact that it has an external AF sensor; this makes it one of the fastest-focusing consumer cameras on the market. However, if you shoot very detailed items, the DX7630 probably isn't a good choice since its compression is too strong, resulting in smudged details.

The Sony DSC-W1 doesn't have very good performance, and though its images have good colors, there's lots of compression artifacts in photos. But this shouldn't be a problem in smaller prints. The DSC-W1 has a large 2.5-inch display, compared to the 2.2-inch on the Kodak, and has a better movie mode.

If you really need superb images, check out the Canon A95. For fast performance, the Kodak that you chose is very good.

Remus
12-03-2004, 05:13 PM
Whaddaya mean, the W1 doesnt have very good performance? Sure, images are just a little noisy, but definitely above average. The W1 is fast, and easier to use than the Kodak in my opinion. In addition, I think it is advantageous to have a camera that takes AA batteries. You still have the (recommended) option of using rechargeable NiMHs.

And I know you narrowed it down to 2, but if SmarterChild suggests the A95... May I suggest the Fuji E510? Why did you reject that one? It's kinda my favorite for that range. Extremely similar to the W1 and A95, but lighter, and with a form factor I kinda prefer.

Remus
http://digitalcameraguide.blogspot.com

quinn
12-06-2004, 02:29 PM
I didn't start this thread but was very interested in the comments as I have also been looking at 5MP cameras and the Sony W-1 was near the top of my list. I had read something else on the Cnet website that was very good about the W-1 and started looking at the Canon A-95.

My big gripe with most of the 5MP cameras is that they keep the Optical zoom at 3. You would think they could at least bump it up to 4!

I don't necessarily need 10x but would be great to find a 5 or 6 Optical zoom with 5MP that is fairly compact.

I was looking at the Olympus C-765 ( a little bigger than I wanted) but looked like a good size for something with that big of a zoom. Unfortunately it has no image stabilization which seems pointless in a 10X camera.

If anyone has any other recommendations to consider for a 5MP camera I would love to hear the feedback. I am open to Canon, Olympus, or Panasonic.

Thanks!