PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on K100D & K110D

JPRATT
11-26-2006, 09:17 PM
I pretty much had my mind made up on getting a canon s3is. But after messing around with a Canon 350d at circuit city today. I was wondering if I should just step it up to a dslr. How do the two cameras mentioned above compare to say a 300d/350d? I know both pentax have less megapixels, which I don't mind. I'm still pretty much a newb, and I'm only working with a nikon 4600. Reason being why I wanted to upgrade to the s3. Another reason being, I'm kind of intimadated to step up to the dslr with my experience.

So now I'm just looking for advice on these 2 cameras. Or would I be better off working with the S3is first, learning that. Then a few years from now step up to a dslr, maybe one even better than both pentax? If I decide to go with the pentax, what's a good upgrade lens to go with. I mostly like shooting buildings, landscape, and macro stuff. Also, my budget will be kind of tight. So how is the kit lens that comes with the camera work? I'd be stuck with that until I can upgrade to a better lens.

Thanks for any words of wisdom guys/gals.

:confused:

KAFman
11-26-2006, 11:07 PM
I think you should take K100D double kit. It's very good starting point. You'll get:

- Shake Reduction - frankly, the same as Canon's IS
- DA 18-55 lens - 28mm (in 35mm terms) great for landscape photography
- DA 50-200mm - 75-300mm (in 35mm terms) - almost as long as S3IS built-in lens

And it will not hurt you budget.

JPRATT
11-27-2006, 06:40 AM
I think you should take K100D double kit. It's very good starting point. You'll get:

- Shake Reduction - frankly, the same as Canon's IS
- DA 18-55 lens - 28mm (in 35mm terms) great for landscape photography
- DA 50-200mm - 75-300mm (in 35mm terms) - almost as long as S3IS built-in lens

And it will not hurt you budget.

What stores online offer this double kit? And do they offer the same kit for the K110D? The SR is really not that important to me.

KAFman
11-28-2006, 12:50 PM
Well, if SR not needed:

K110D + DA 18-55mm lens - $456.99
http://astore.amazon.com/penta-20/detail/B000FTHR7U/103-1856681-1636669
+ DA 50-200mm - $219.89
http://astore.amazon.com/penta-20/detail/B0009OAFI4/103-1856681-1636669
Total: $677

or K100D

K100D + DA 18-55mm lens - $564.00
http://astore.amazon.com/penta-20/detail/B000FTLSR0/103-1856681-1636669
+ DA 50-200mm - $219.89
http://astore.amazon.com/penta-20/detail/B0009OAFI4/103-1856681-1636669
Total: $784

JPRATT
11-28-2006, 03:20 PM
THANKS ALOT KAFman. :cool:

dodo
11-28-2006, 11:22 PM
Pls take into account that the price KAFman mentioned above should be deducted by 100$ (50$ body + 50$ lens mail-in rebates)
The final price is really cool
________
Ford Explorer Sport Trac picture (http://www.ford-wiki.com/wiki/Ford_Explorer_Sport_Trac)

Polytrope
12-11-2006, 11:09 PM
I pretty much had my mind made up on getting a canon s3is. But after messing around with a Canon 350d at circuit city today. I was wondering if I should just step it up to a dslr.

So now I'm just looking for advice on these 2 cameras. Or would I be better off working with the S3is first, learning that. Then a few years from now step up to a dslr, maybe one even better than both pentax? ...

Well, I have both the Canon PowerShot S3 and the Pentax K100D. I have had the PowerShot S1, S2 and now the S3 - loved 'em all. I just got the Pentax. Love it, too.

You present a real dilemma. The only way to make the answer easy is to put it in terms of how much money you can spend TODAY.

If you have, say, $500 or less to spend, and you'd like to get the MOST VERSATILE camera possible, then there's no question - get the Canon S3. I think it's probably all the camera - maybe MORE camera - than most amateurs and hobbyists ever need. Macro, zoom, swivel LCD, 30 fps video as well as the ability to record audio notes on your still shots - the camera can do just about everything and it does it all pretty well. Click here (http://picasaweb.google.com/wmb.porter/20061130WinterComesToDallas) to see a small album of my recent shots with the S3. I'm not a pro, I'm not even sure I'm a serious hobbyist, but those pictures meet my low standards, which is to say, I enjoyed taking them.

On the other hand, if $500 is at the low end of what you can afford - that is, if you can spend $600 without thinking twice, and if you can imagine spending another $600 in the next year - then by all means, go for the Pentax K100D.

You should be aware that under "normal" conditions - say, outdoors, decent lighting, cooperative subjects who are close to the camera - the Pentax isn't going to take noticeably superior photos.

But if you get serious about photography (well, at least as serious as I am, which perhaps isn't TOO serious) and if you can afford the digital SLR, well, you're going to want one sooner or later. When you start trying to push the limits a bit, the advantages of the DSLR start to appear. For example, the larger sensor in the DSLR does NOT mean that you will take sharper pictures, and it sure as heck doesn't mean you will be a better photographer; but it does mean that you can take better (less noisy) pictures in low or bad light. The other advantages of the digital SLRS also appear in situations where you're pushing the camera hard. That was a big reason why I bought the Pentax. I love my outdoors pictures with the S3 and I don't expect to be able to take better pictures with the Pentax any time soon. But when I photographed my daughter playing basketball in the bad lighting of the gym, well, I wasn't proud of the results. The pictures were sometimes well composed, but the noise really hurt them. I hope to do better with the Pentax.

Then there's the matter of lenses. First, the bad news. To equip the Pentax with lenses whose focal lengths can match what I have built into the S3 is going to cost me a fair bit of $$. Canon does sell converter lenses for the S3, a telephoto and a wide-angle. I have both of them and they're very good. But of course the lenses you can get for the K100D are more numerous and, if you can afford to pay for quality, better. In other words, with the Pentax, I really can buy the body this year, and start collecting lenses.

Having to look through the optical viewfinder of the DSLR is, in some ways, a disadvantage; the S3's swivel-tilt LCD is great for taking candids up close without your subject getting self-conscious. On the other hand, when you start seeing your images through a real lens rather than on a low-res LCD, well, it's a subjective thing, but it FEELS more like real photography. That FEEL comes through in other ways. The shutter on a digital SLR is a little more responsive. And the bigger body of the digital SLR is easier to hold.

Be skeptical about claims that DSLRs just flat-out take better pictures. You can take really good pictures with the S3, and for $400 you can certainly take a wider range of shots than you'll be able to take with the Pentax for $600. If you don't know what you're doing with a DSLR, you'll take crummy pictures; and if you never really push the DSLR, then you might as well save your money and stick with a compact camera.

But the S3 is a package deal. There's plenty of room to grow as a photographer - you can also learn a lot about photography with the S3 - but the camera is what it is and that's pretty much all that it is. If you DO grow on the S3, you're going to start feeling the pinch like I did. You could buy the S3 this year, then shell out another $400 next year for the S4's couple new features. That's what I've been doing for a few years: I bought the S1 for about $500, then the S2 for about the same price, then this last year the S3 for $400. But I think this is a really good time to make the jump over to the DSLR, and according to my research, there's nothing better than the Pentax K100D for the price.

Will Porter
Dallas, Texas

Cid
12-12-2006, 12:30 AM
Very good explanation Will.. Because i'm also in a middle of confusion to choose between Canon S3 IS and Pentax K100D..

SpecialK
12-12-2006, 12:21 PM
Hi All:

I'm sure I've replaied to this thread which apparently was posted elsewhere.

What got me into DSLRs was rather limited range of my A620, which I love otherwise. I've always liked wide-angle, which is basically non-existent with ultrazooms.

So, after ruling out the S3, I shopped for an XTi (first choice) or D50 as a comparison. I could not justify their prices, especially combined with the lenses range I wanted.

Polytrope
12-12-2006, 09:43 PM
Very good explanation Will.. Because i'm also in a middle of confusion to choose between Canon S3 IS and Pentax K100D..

I've been blogging about this lately, as it's been on my mind quite a bit. A month ago, I wrote a long article comparing the compact superzooms (like the Canon S3) to low-end digital SLRs and making the case for the compact superzooms. Now that I have purchased the Pentax K100D and had a chance to take some shots, I've written another article that tells the other side of the story - that is, that describes as honestly as I can some of the things that I really like about the Pentax. The new article can be found here (http://ulyssesatlarge.blogspot.com/).

I've tried to focus on real, out of the box advantages and "attractions", in other words, I don't have anything to say about RAW, or how if you view DSLR images under a microscope you can see that they're superior in quality to the images taken by compact cameras, or what I MIGHT be able to do with the Pentax if I had another $1000 to spend on lenses.

It's a really tough call - both because the DSLRs have come down so dramatically in price and because at the same time the high-end compact cameras have gotten so darned good.

Will

SpecialK
12-12-2006, 10:09 PM
Hi Will:

I read your blog which was pretty good but I disagree on one point.

You said the "need" for multiple lenses was a disadvantage with DSLRs. You don't need multiple lenses. We do want them however.

In fact, the "ability to change lenses" is an advantage of DSLRs.

You can never go too wide, or I suppose, too long.

Polytrope
12-12-2006, 11:06 PM
Hi Will:

I read your blog which was pretty good but I disagree on one point.

You said the "need" for multiple lenses was a disadvantage with DSLRs. You don't need multiple lenses. We do want them however.

In fact, the "ability to change lenses" is an advantage of DSLRs.

SpecialK,

Thanks for the comment. I understand your points and I agree with you completely. I did not express myself well in the blog. For the last couple of months I've been comparing the compact superzoom (specifically, the Canon S3 IS) to the low-end digital SLRs. When I mentioned that it's a disadvantage of digital SLRs that you "need" multiple lenses and have to change them, I was thinking of the fact that the Canon S3 provides a zoom range that makes it possible to capture an extraordinary range of shots without having either to carry multiple lenses (or multiple cameras). True, you can put a 28-200mm or 28-300mm (?) lens on a digital SLR and start to get some of the same versatility, but the S3's built-in 12x lens is more powerful at both ends of the zoom range than the 50-200mm lens for the Pentax K100D. In short, then, my point was simply that the Canon S3 with its built-in 12x zoom lens is easier and more convenient to use than a digital SLR is likely to be if you carried around the lenses you'd need to be able to capture the same range of shots.

Will

JPRATT
12-15-2006, 08:56 AM
How do these 2 lens perform indoors, say for sporting events? I was wodnering if anybody had examples of indoor shots with these two lenses? I'll be getting the 18-55 wit the kit, but for more zoom, I'm trying to decide between the 50-200mm vs sigma 18-125mm vs sigma 18-200mm.

Thanks J.

SpecialK
12-15-2006, 01:08 PM
To Polytrope:

I agree with your point about duplicating the S3 range capability.

To JPRATT:

I replied to your duplicated post eslewhere :-)

JPRATT
12-15-2006, 01:33 PM
To Polytrope:

I agree with your point about duplicating the S3 range capability.

To JPRATT:

I replied to your duplicated post eslewhere :-)

haha, sory about that specialk, I forgot to come back and delete that post. :D

SpecialK
12-15-2006, 11:38 PM
If you haven't already ordered you camera, Beach has the body only for $489 (minus 50) and the 16-45 f4 for $399 (minus 100) and the 50-200 (Adorama) for 207 (minus 50).

JPRATT
12-16-2006, 07:25 PM
Well, happy to say I'm now a proud ownerd of the k100D with kit lens. Just trying to mess around and learn the camera now.. :D

My girlfriend played a trick on me. I asked her to pick it up for me while I was at work. I call her to see if she's close to my job to pick me up. I ask her if she got the camera for me, she tells me no cause she fell asleep. I walk out to the car, and low and behold the camera is seating in the pass. seat.... I tried to hold the smile in, but couldn't do it. I was so stoked to see it. :eek: