PDA

View Full Version : Panasonic FZ10, Minolta A1? or FZ20?

wax
07-26-2004, 01:02 AM
need some help. i need a camera quite urgently, so currently, should i buy FZ10 or A1? and also, regarding the upcoming FZ20, is it a really better camera compared to these two? thanks

John_Reed
07-26-2004, 07:10 AM
need some help. i need a camera quite urgently, so currently, should i buy FZ10 or A1? and also, regarding the upcoming FZ20, is it a really better camera compared to these two? thanks
It depends on what you're using it for. In 35mm equivalents, the A1 zooms from 28mm to 200mm, the FZ10 zooms from 35mm to 420mm. The FZ10's lens is faster at its telephoto end, f2.8 compared to the A1's f3.5. A recent Popular Photography comparison of the FZ10 and A2 (successor to A1) says that the FZ10 is good for reasonably noiseless photos up to ISO 400, where the A2 (presumably like the A1?) tops out at ISO 200, noisewise. Both cameras have anti-shake systems, which, according to the review, give equivalent hand-holding capability at max telephoto. "Slowest good shutter speed" for both at full telephoto (200mm & 420mm) was 1/25 of a second, according to their testing. Finally, the FZ10 costs less than the A1, though since both cameras are being superceded by new models, it's not easy to say which one you could presently buy at the lower price. I paid full retail for my FZ10, and it's worth every penny, for the satisfaction it's given me already. If wideangle scenery shots are your main interest, the A1 may be the one for you; if you like to shoot wildlife shots of little birds on distant tree limbs, the FZ10 would be better.
As for the FZ20, it's unlikely you can get it "urgently," maybe not until August or September at the earliest. Is it better than the FZ10? Only reviews will tell for sure. It has more megapixels on the same-size sensor, leading one to believe it may be more noise-prone, but the jury is still out, pending reviews. It has an AF illuminator, assignable modes on the function dial, and a slightly longer telephoto reach, at the expense of a slightlly narrower wideangle (36mm-432mm, vs 35mm-420mm) With its new Venus II imaging engine, it's supposed to have even better anti-shake control, and faster cycling times than the current Venus engine. On paper, the FZ20 looks like a nice camera, and my experience with Panasonic cameras is that they tend to deliver as advertised (I bought my old FZ1 sight unseen, and it was better than I expected). Still, wait for a review before buying, is my advice.

aldon
07-26-2004, 09:51 AM
wait until September and get an FZ20 ;)

Jake Conner
07-26-2004, 11:35 AM
The A1 should have similar noise performance to the FZ10, being a 5MP sensor rather than the A2's 8MP.

Jake

John_Reed
07-26-2004, 11:37 AM
The A1 should have similar noise performance to the FZ10, being a 5MP sensor rather than the A2's 8MP.

Jake
It should, you'd think, but I haven't heard great things about the A1's noise performance. I'll have to do more research on this.

D70FAN
07-26-2004, 11:56 AM

Jake

Seems like quite a cost penalty for IS on the A1 or the A2. Let's keep in mind that the FZ series MSRP is less than half of the A2 and several hundred dollars less than the A1 (thanks again for the earlier FZ3/15/20 prices).

As far as noise? Two words... Noise Ninja.

alan
08-06-2004, 01:36 PM
estimated ship date for the Panasonic Lumx Z20 is September 23rd at Amazon.com..It was September 30th a couple weeks ago.

alan