PDA

View Full Version : Pentax k100d Lense question

superbass
11-24-2006, 08:07 PM
I am about to buy a Pentax K100D, and I wanted to purchase a zoom lense with it, so I was considering purchasing a Pentax 80-200 mm f/4.7-5.6 lense. Is this going to be a good lense for the camera?

I'm a newbie and this will be my first DSLR, so any help will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

Colin T
11-25-2006, 01:14 PM
Hi superbass

it depends on what you want to photograph. An 80-200mm digital zoom lens is about equal to 100-300mm zoom lens from a film camera. I use thise sort of lens for photographing birds in an aviary or dogs on a park. If you want to take pics of people it won't be very good if you are close to them. It will be fine if you are taking pics of people from over the road or up the street. And it won't be any good for landscape shots either. For those types of pics you are better off with an 18-50mm zoom or something around that number.

Go to your local camera store and have them fit the lens to a demo camera. Then move around the room and try to zoom in and out and see what you can get to fit in the frame. You should be able to get half a human in but not the whole body. Try it out and see what you think.

Reps
11-25-2006, 01:27 PM
I would encourage You to choose DA 50-200 (4-5.6)- best bang of the buck, believe it or not...

Best and happy shooting, JR

superbass
11-25-2006, 05:19 PM
Gah! See this is where buying stuff online begins to suck ...

I read a bunch of reviews for the Pentax k100d and finally decided on that, but my decision now is whether to get the body only and buy the 80-200 mm lense or buy the one that comes with the 18-55 mm lense.

Oh and the only reason I'm considering buying the other lense is because it's on clearance for about 80 bucks :D

Thanks for the help guys, I guess I'll do some thinking and decide soon.

pas49ras
11-26-2006, 04:17 AM
Oh and the only reason I'm considering buying the other lense is because it's on clearance for about 80 bucks
One of my thoughts when I bought my K100D was using my old Sigma 28-200 zoom from my film camera but when I compaired that lens to the kit lens..just the weight alone was enough for me to quickly buy the DA 50-200 Pentax lens. The Pentax lens is VERY light and very quick to focus..my older Sigma would hunt for focus...so I would recomend getting the kit 18-55 and strongly suggest the DA 50-200 as a zoom lens. It's a great camera!!

superbass
11-27-2006, 07:33 PM
Just ordered it tonight and I can't wait!

I got it for about 530 shipped, woot :D Now to get that lens before it disappears...

Why do we have to work and pay for stuff anyway?

Colin T
11-29-2006, 10:35 AM
Hi superbass

if you want to use a sigma lens for your camera make sure it is an EX type lens. They are very good sigma lenses but don't buy a standard sigma lens or a DC sigma lens.

for genuine Pentax lenses buy a DA type lens as they are the digital ones that will actually work on your K100D. Try to buy a lens with a low F stop number. The lower the number the better the lens but the more expensive it will be.

If you have a zoom lens from a pentax film camera chuck it away because it won't work on a digital body. It will fit but the images will never be sharp, always blurred. However, if you have genuine pentax prime lenses, eg set 30mm or 50mm lens, etc, they will work very well.

jeisner
11-29-2006, 03:23 PM
If you have a zoom lens from a pentax film camera chuck it away because it won't work on a digital body. It will fit but the images will never be sharp, always blurred.

The FA 28-80 f3.5-5.6 you have is poor but in all honesty it is probably the cheapest FA zoom pentax ever made AFAIK..

Digital cameras are a little more demanding on lenses than film especially as we now view images at 100% whereas on film we often printed 6x4 or 5x7... If you put the cheapest film lens you can find on digital, don't expect stellar performance.. But there are still a lot of FA zooms that perform well on Pentax DSLRs..

E.G. I have owned or used all the following and they work great on DSLR..

FA 17-35 f3.5-4.5 FE
FA 20-35 f4
FA 28-70 f2.8
FA 24-90 f3.5-4.5
FA 28-105 f3.2-4.5
F 70-210 f4-5.6 ED
FA 80-320 f4-5.6

I'm sure there are others that I haven't tried too...

Also my girlfriend wants me to add here favourite lens on her *ist DS is the even older Pentax-A 35-105 f3.5.. This cost me around US$50 off ebay, and was made way back in 1984...

A recent sample shot of hers from the A35-105..

http://www.pbase.com/joele/image/70977993/original.jpg

superbass
11-29-2006, 09:05 PM
Noooo!

Now I'm confused again, and am wondering if I should cancel the order for the lens.

http://www.wolfcamera.com/product/CLR541610242.htm?bct=t13024003%3Bcidigital-cameras-and-accessories%3Bciclearance

That's the lens I ordered. I hope it's an ok lense for the k100d ...

Now the question is whether to cancel this all and get the Olympus Evolt E500. Decisions ...

jeisner
11-29-2006, 10:18 PM
Noooo!

Now I'm confused again, and am wondering if I should cancel the order for the lens.

http://www.wolfcamera.com/product/CLR541610242.htm?bct=t13024003%3Bcidigital-cameras-and-accessories%3Bciclearance

That's the lens I ordered. I hope it's an ok lense for the k100d ...

No need to be confused... samples with the Pentax FA 80-200 4.7-5.6 linked below...

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1036&message=20883923

Though the Pentax DA 50-200 is the current lens in that range, and is a better lens than the out of production FA 80-200 4.7-5.6..

superbass
11-29-2006, 11:05 PM
Yeah, you are right. I finally found the lens on the Pentax website and it says it's for 35mm with a bayonet mount, so it should work with the k100d, but now I'm trying to figure out if two megapixels is worth the hassle of harassing people to cancel my orders and then reordering the Olympus Evolt e500.

Any advice? I've been reading reviews and looking at sample pictures. Obviously a good photographer can take a good photo with almost any decent camera, but I did notice the colors were a bit better with the Olympus. I really just want a good first dSLR that will be able to grow with me.

jeisner
11-30-2006, 01:04 AM
Yeah, you are right. I finally found the lens on the Pentax website and it says it's for 35mm with a bayonet mount, so it should work with the k100d, but now I'm trying to figure out if two megapixels is worth the hassle of harassing people to cancel my orders and then reordering the Olympus Evolt e500.

Any advice? I've been reading reviews and looking at sample pictures. Obviously a good photographer can take a good photo with almost any decent camera, but I did notice the colors were a bit better with the Olympus. I really just want a good first dSLR that will be able to grow with me.

Yep a good photog will take good photos with either one.. remember with the Oly even though it is 2mp greater (not much difference at all BTW) it has a smaller sensor, so the noise performance falls behind the Pentax with its lower resolution but physically larger sensor... TO ME noise performance is worth way more than 2mp, but we are all different?

Also
- Oly lenses will cost you far more for equivelant quality (at least where I live)...
- You have image stabilisation with all lenses with the Pentax, not the case with Oly, they have one stabilised lens and it is VERY expensive...
- The E500 has a much smaller viewfinder

Just keep in mind there is in my opinion much more to a camera than just the MP rating, otherwise we would all be using 12mp compact cameras...

Nesster
11-30-2006, 05:37 AM
The other thing about the e500 - to go with the smaller sensor, the viewfinder's small too. This may bother some more than others, to me it's a bit like looking into a tunnel, and I prefer a larger view.

Re. film lenses - one thing not mentioned too often is that with the smaller sensor relative to 35mm film, you aren't using the edges of the image thrown by the lens. Any vignetting and blurriness of a film lens at the edges is cropped out - so you're using the usually better performing center parts.

That said there are always other complications...

superbass
11-30-2006, 06:25 AM
Ok, all great points guys. Now I'm officially a Pentax man as soon as that camera comes. :D

Thanks for the advice everyone!

SpecialK
12-08-2006, 09:34 PM
Hi Superbass:

I sort of lost track of where you are with your purchase. However I'd recommend the body only. Put that extra $50 toward something else.

Meanwhile Adorama has the 50-200 for 207. Minus rebate = 157. Cancel that other lens... :-)

hmcfly
12-09-2006, 04:24 AM
Hi superbass

if you want to use a sigma lens for your camera make sure it is an EX type lens. They are very good sigma lenses but don't buy a standard sigma lens or a DC sigma lens.

for genuine Pentax lenses buy a DA type lens as they are the digital ones that will actually work on your K100D. Try to buy a lens with a low F stop number. The lower the number the better the lens but the more expensive it will be.

If you have a zoom lens from a pentax film camera chuck it away because it won't work on a digital body. It will fit but the images will never be sharp, always blurred. However, if you have genuine pentax prime lenses, eg set 30mm or 50mm lens, etc, they will work very well.

From what I can tell eveybody loves the sigma 17-70 lens and its a DC they don't make a EX that I can find. Would you recommend then the 24-70 thats a EX model.