PDA

View Full Version : Printed pic issue

sully
11-24-2006, 05:48 PM
I printed some of my first pictures from my new D50 and some of them that looked great on my monitor turned out terrible on print end (those affected were indoor shots). I have my monitor and PSE 5.0 use sRGB color space and my brightness and contrast levels on the monitor are fairly low.

The print place uses Kodak technology. Could this be the difference - I don't have their printer profile? if so, any tips on what you all do?

Or maybe I'm just a rookie still:eek:

toriaj
11-25-2006, 06:22 PM
I'm a rookie too, but I've had the same problems. Some printers' images looked fine, others were way off. Monitor calibration systems come highly recommended. Pantone Huey is one I have heard a lot about.

I wanted to save $$$, so I got the ICC profile from Mpix.com, the printer service I had trouble with. I also discovered the Color Management and Monitor Calibration features of my post processing program (Paint Shop Pro.) I haven't printed any more pictures yet, but I think this will help. You may be able to do something similar. Let me know what works!

sully
11-25-2006, 07:06 PM
I contacted Kodak by email asking them about this and the only advice they gave was to adjust my monitor (brightness/contrast) so the printed pic looked like the onscreen pic...

I guess this makes sense...sort of.

I've been printing at nearby kiosks in stores. Not high tech but the product has been pretty good with my small Canon P&S. Perhaps I'll look into Mpix.

Thanks!

toriaj
11-25-2006, 07:38 PM
Do you use a post-processing program, such as Photoshop? I think most programs have a Monitor Calibration or Color Management feature. That might help. I was surprised at how in-depth the calibration was, and how different the file looked afterwards.

JLV
11-26-2006, 11:51 AM
A test sheet can be down loaded from www.digitaldog.net. Click on TIPS (right side of page). The on Priner test File.

toriaj
11-26-2006, 01:55 PM
Okay, after having done some more work ...

I now have my PSP set up to show me how the photo would look if printed by Mpix, and I downloaded the printer profile file. When I look at it with "regular" settings, it looks great. When I shift to the Mpix emulation, the colors become much more muted, especially the blues and greens get very gray. The flesh tones aren't as nice either.

All last night I tried to get a photo to have a nice, fresh, clear blue sky and water and couldn't get it. Now it seems that Mpix literally doesn't print in that color.

So ... does that mean that I will not be able to get nice colors from Mpix? Should I switch to another printer? What would you recommend? :confused:

sully
11-27-2006, 07:46 AM
A test sheet can be down loaded from www.digitaldog.net. Click on TIPS (right side of page). The on Priner test File.

So do I print this out at my local kiosk and then adjust my monitor to match?

sully
11-27-2006, 07:47 AM
Do you use a post-processing program, such as Photoshop? I think most programs have a Monitor Calibration or Color Management feature. That might help. I was surprised at how in-depth the calibration was, and how different the file looked afterwards.

I just bought PS Elements 5. Not sure where to find this yet... :o

JLV
11-27-2006, 04:25 PM
So do I print this out at my local kiosk and then adjust my monitor to match?

Print it on the printer that you will be using.

toriaj
11-27-2006, 08:40 PM
Okay, print it out, and then ... ? Change the monitor settings so that the printout looks like the monitor? Thanks for your help. I'm a little frustrated (see post #6)

sully
11-28-2006, 09:25 AM

Thanks for this link! I printed it out and visually it is close but I can't get the saturation (not sure what to change on my monitor).

JLV
11-28-2006, 11:42 AM
Thanks for this link! I printed it out and visually it is close but I can't get the saturation (not sure what to change on my monitor).

Mine was also very close with the printed copy being a little more vivid. I did not bother to make any adjustments.

ImagingAssociates
03-16-2007, 01:51 AM
More information about Monitor Calibration, Printer Calibration and Color Management can be found using these community-driven swicki search engines:

Monitor Calibration Tips Search Engine (http://monitor-calibration-tips-swicki.eurekster.com/)
Printer Calibration Tips Search Engine (http://printer-calibration-tips-swicki.eurekster.com/)
Color Management Search Engine (http://color-management-swicki.eurekster.com/)