PDA

View Full Version : Pentax K100D and lenses

Colin T
11-22-2006, 11:40 PM
After complaining about the Pentax K100D and its inability to produce sharp images I sent the camera back to Pentax for the second time. This time they sent a rep out to meet me at the camera store I bought it from. I discussed the issues with him and he is of the opinion that the zoom lenses from my old Pentax film camera are not going to give me really good results. However, if I use my old single size lenses (eg 30mm, 45mm, etc) I will get super sharp images.
He is suggesting I buy a new Pentax lens that is a dedicated digital lens and then I will get good results. Anyone heard of this or have any thoughts?

Reps
11-23-2006, 03:05 PM
... but what makes such a difference? Yes all zooms are worse than primes of course but honestly I can see no SO GREAT difference that You must drop the zoom lenses finally! How do You judge the issues under complaint? Screen? A4 print? Maybe You have had just a bad luck (and Pentax QC issues)- is it really so BAD? Not IMHO... :)

Best, JR

jeisner
11-23-2006, 03:05 PM
After complaining about the Pentax K100D and its inability to produce sharp images I sent the camera back to Pentax for the second time. This time they sent a rep out to meet me at the camera store I bought it from. I discussed the issues with him and he is of the opinion that the zoom lenses from my old Pentax film camera are not going to give me really good results. However, if I use my old single size lenses (eg 30mm, 45mm, etc) I will get super sharp images.
He is suggesting I buy a new Pentax lens that is a dedicated digital lens and then I will get good results. Anyone heard of this or have any thoughts?

My girlfriend uses Pentax-A 35-105, so it is an old manual lens on the DS and she gets very good results..

I use the following pre-digital zoom lens on my k100d without any problems..
- Pentax FA 28-105 f3.2-4.5

What lens were you using?

And do you have some samples of the problem?

Colin T
11-24-2006, 01:40 AM
I generally just look on my computer monitor and if they look good on there i print them. If they look crap on the monitor they get deleted. I have been doing this with all the dgital cameras I have used and they all gave reasonably sharp pictures. And any that I thought were worth printing always came out good. Just the Pentax images are never sharp on the monitor and when I print them to confirm this they look like crap.

The first two pics, a child and a dog where taken with the K100D using a pentax 28-80mm zoom lens from my film camera. The camera was on a tripod and they looked in focus when I took the pic. The next one (red banksia flowers) were taken on the K100D with a pentax macro lens from my film camera. The next 2 pics (two dogs, then a dog on a wooden walkway) were taken with a canon powershot point n shoot. The last one is of the same dog on the park and was taken with an old 3 meg fuji A330 point n shoot. These pics are all average but the pentax is worse than the others.

Reps
11-25-2006, 02:25 PM
... but under no circumstances I personally WILL NOT JUDGE any cam with such "ready to web" images :-( BTW been with Pentax since early 80-ies and joined "digital era" with K100D- and nothing to complain so far (yes, yes, my negative or slide scans from ages seem better after PP etc...)- but the versatility is the keyword IMO- and of 4000+ pics with digital Pentax SLR at least 3000 are keepers (DA18-55, DA50-200, FA50/1.4, DFA 100/2.8 and many manual primes (jupter-9 MC (85/2.0) my favourite portrait one :-) )

Best and hope You can finally figure out what bothers..., JR

Colin T
11-26-2006, 09:37 AM
Hi Reps

QUOTE "but under no circumstances I personally WILL NOT JUDGE any cam with such "ready to web" images"

The images were compressed using some software I got with a Fuji camera. They look virtually the same as the originals except they are smaller to fit on here. The originals are about 1.5MB each. I am not sure if the web sight allows such big images to be uploaded.

The main difference is in the sharpness between them. All the K100D pics come out blury when you are more than 10 feet away from the subject. All the other cameras I have ever used give reasonably sharp images.

If you want to see the originals I can upload them instead.