PDA

View Full Version : Canon A75 OR A80; no-brainer??

kangazoom
07-25-2004, 09:33 PM
k I'm going to college in the fall, and I would like to bring a nice digital camera along with me. I currently own a 2 MP camera: the Canon Powershot A40. I have had it for two years, and I like it very much overall. My main complaint is shutter lag (I belieeeve that's what it's called; I often have to hold down the shoot button for a very long time before it takes a picture, depending on conditions of the environment).

I've decided to get a new camera--at least 3 MP. I cannot spend over $300 and anything over $260 is really pushing it. I will be doing a lot of point-and-shooting, capturing fun college moments. But I'd like to be able to do some more serious photography as well. I'm also small, so a light/portable camera would be ace. But I am most concerned with image QUALITY.

These two cameras seem to have the best image quality in the price range I've been looking at:
- Canon Powershot A75 (3.2 mp)
- Canon Powershot A80 (4 mp)

At their lowest prices from reputed retailers, they only have a ~$50 difference. Since I already have a 128 mb compact flash card and two sets of rechargable batteries, I really don't need to buy or worry about any additional accesories.

I will not be printing photos out often. I will be sharing photos with friends and others online. I'm not sure how much of an advantage the 4 mp over the 3.2 mp would be.

Is the A80 terribly bulky? And the small LCD screen really looks like it could get annoying; is this fair to say? I love the flip screen though. Is one reputed to have a better quality of image??

Any help would be appreciated. I guess the A80 would be a no-brainer, but I'm not sure if I need the 4mp. Although, I suppose it wouldn't hurt to take the more techniologically advanced...? Do they both have shutter lag (if that's what it is) the way the A40 does?

Also, if there are any other brands that could compete with Canon's above-mentioned cameras (in image quality, heh, to be repetitive), plleeease let me know. Thanks!

Ausin
07-26-2004, 07:35 AM
Hi,

I don't have either of these but I am in a process of getting one, as far as I have researched the reviews the A80 is worth the extra money. Perhaps the biggest advantage is the 1/1.8" CCD (bigger) hence producing much better quality pictures. The only advatage of A75 is the slightly better video (640x480) and bigger screen (1.8").

Ausin

speaklightly
07-26-2004, 12:10 PM
Ausin is right on target. We own both the Canon A-70 and A-80. The A-80 is certainly the better of the two digital cameras.

Sarah Joyce

jamison55
07-26-2004, 12:40 PM
Another advantage of the A80 is the swiveling LCD which comes in way handier than you might realize...especially for captuting those fun college moments.

kangazoom
07-27-2004, 01:47 AM
ah, thanks so much for replying! i really appreciate it.

the larger ccd decreases the amount of noise in the picture, right?

and when you guys say that the a80 is definitey a "better" camera, could you be more specific? sorry to be so picky!!

would you say that the a80 is heavy, clumsy, or a pain to drag around?

thanks again! :)

D70FAN
07-27-2004, 07:44 AM
ah, thanks so much for replying! i really appreciate it.

the larger ccd decreases the amount of noise in the picture, right?

and when you guys say that the a80 is definitey a "better" camera, could you be more specific? sorry to be so picky!!

would you say that the a80 is heavy, clumsy, or a pain to drag around?

thanks again! :)

No. In fact generally the oposite is true. Generally when you crowd more pixels into the same area it means smaller pixels, which gather less light, and require a boost to the gain of the cell. By boosting the gain you add more noise in relation to the signal (called signal to noise ratio).

That said, this general rule applies to all digital imagers/cameras so, with the exception of some specialty sensors, most consumer digital cameras (the Canons included) don't produce abnormally high noise in normal lighting conditions and ISO under 200-400.

Try these cameras before you buy, and you can answer the second question yourself. Otherwise you will be second-guessing your choice.

Have fun at college!

kangazoom
07-28-2004, 01:20 PM
The a80 has a larger CCD. are you saying its pictures will be noisier than the a75's?

Jake Conner
07-28-2004, 02:06 PM
No, you're right, the A80 will be less noisy. George, he was talking about physical CCD size, not megapixels.

Jake

jamison55
07-28-2004, 03:44 PM
The A80 is neither clumsy, heavy, nor a pain to drag around. It fits comfortably in the front pocket of khakis, and is unnoticable in a jacket pocket. There's not that much difference in size between te A75 and 80 but the A80 does have quite a few additional features including:

--Larger CCD for reduced noise
--Swiveling LCD
--Programmable custom settings on the menu. (these enable you to make the A80 a true point& shoot by manually setting the hyperfocal distance. See this article: http://forums.powershot-a.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7825&highlight=street)

For these additional features you add a little thickness and pay a little more. What you need to decide is whether it is worth it to you...

D70FAN
07-28-2004, 06:40 PM
And there you have it. more or less...

kangazoom
07-29-2004, 12:56 AM
you guys are the best. thanks. :)

it's july 29th, and i am now 18.
which means i'll be purchasing an a80 shortly.

thanks again!

zoodany
07-29-2004, 04:19 AM
..you can see my pics on www.zoodany.it , to have an idea of the quality of the pics..

Bye.. :)
zoodany..