PDA

View Full Version : Money No Problem, what is best?

Milezone
07-25-2004, 02:04 PM
With money being no object, I would like to know what you guys think is the best digital camera on the market today? My main focus is on macro, but want to do some family shots as well. Thanks

John_Reed
07-25-2004, 04:58 PM
With money being no object, I would like to know what you guys think is the best digital camera on the market today? My main focus is on macro, but want to do some family shots as well. Thanks
Be a little more specific here. You say your main focus is on macro, but you want to do some family shots as well. Are you saying that MOST of your shots will be taken indoors? With available lighting or flash? Is outdoor scenery of any interest? Does your family include babies, teenagers, soccer players, musicians, etc.? The more you can frame your specific needs and desires, the easier it will be to get an answer.

D70FAN
07-25-2004, 07:29 PM

For $7500 the Canon 1Ds should fill the bill. Add another $1500 for basic lenses and you should be good to go (Starter Kit).

There ya go...

Jake Conner
07-25-2004, 08:22 PM
Four great additions to that system for macro work: Canon 65mm F2.8 MP-E, Olympus OM 90mm F2 Macro (the best mid-tele macro ever made, IMHO, still available new at B&H) with adapter for EOS, Canon 180mm F3.5 Macro, Canon dedicated twin flash. The first and second are a grand each, the third is $1500, and the last is $600, last I checked. Speed is critical for macro, and the 1.3x crop factor would be useful, so I would recommend the $4500 1D MkII over the 1Ds. Some good zooms for standard use are the Sigma 12-24, the Canon 24-70 F2.8, and the Canon 70-200 F2.8 IS. If you want something longer than 200, the logical choice would be the Canon 300 F2.8 IS. However, for macro, you might want to check out the old Kilfitt 300mm F4 Pan-Tele-Kilar, which can focus down to 4/10 life size. By the way, the Kilfitt, Olympus, and MP-E are manual-focus only, but that shouldn't be a problem for macro work. Yes, this has been a rundown of Jake's dream system, which he won't be able to afford for (optimistically) 5 years....

Jake

D70FAN
07-26-2004, 06:55 AM
Speed is critical for macro, and the 1.3x crop factor would be useful, so I would recommend the $4500 1D MkII over the 1Ds. Some good zooms for standard use are the Sigma 12-24, the Canon 24-70 F2.8, and the Canon 70-200 F2.8 IS.
Jake

I dunno jake. I think the 1Ds is plenty fast, and after all this guy wants the best, so why buy that mid-priced Mark II with it's tiny sensor, when you can have a full 35,mm frame with no conversion factor. Then that 12-24 will be working in it's prime range.

With that exception (1Ds) your dream system would fit into a nicely rounded "my-kit-if-I-had-the-coin". Yes, I believe I would like that. Thanks for the thourough run-down.

Jake Conner
07-26-2004, 11:21 AM
Well, anyway, I hear rumblings about a 1Ds MkII, so maybe it's best to wait a bit...

Jake

D70FAN
07-26-2004, 11:39 AM
A 1Ds Mark II? Must be adding 720 x 480 @ 30fps movie mode. With a new 10:1 lossless compression engine (MPEG 10?)... ;)

Not that I could afford the current version anyway. The D70 is close enough until I hit the lottery. :D

John_Reed
07-26-2004, 12:10 PM
Well, anyway, I hear rumblings about a 1Ds MkII, so maybe it's best to wait a bit...

Jake
I think the guy would be better off just sending Jake & George a blank check with a ~$10,000 cap, and then let them choose the system together, making sure that Jake & George are careful not to leave any drool on the goodies in the box they'd send back.