PDA

View Full Version : S50 vs S60 vs G5

Tristan
07-02-2004, 05:29 PM
Hello everyone!

Lately I've been really getting into digital photography (especially since I started my own photoblog (http://picturelife.blogspot.com)). My current camera is a semi-oldish Kodak 2MP CX4230. This camera...while it can take some pretty nice pictures sometimes, isn't good enough for what I want to do.

I've read many reviews from different sites and I'm trying to decide. Should I get a Canon S50, a Canon S60, or a Canon G5. As you can see, I want to get a Canon. I'm looking for something that has, in addition to great photo quality, a pretty advanced feature set and good build quality. I also want something that's fairly portable. I'm not talking about something that I could fit in a shirt pocket like the tiny Pentax S4(i), but something that I could fit in a pants pocket. From what I've read, I'm pretty sure that I could fit the S50 or the S60, but I'm not sure about the G5.

What are the advantages and disadvantages of the G5 vs S60/S50? Should I be considering a different camera? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
-Tristan

JDR7171988
07-02-2004, 05:47 PM
Take a look at the Digital Elph line. The S and G lines of camera are both bricks when it comes to size. Definately won't fit in your pocket. I own an S45 and I carry it around in a case.

Nick
07-02-2004, 05:53 PM
Small pockets or tight pants you've got ;)

An S50 fits in my pant pocket fine :)

Tristan
07-06-2004, 09:45 AM
Yes, I'm fairly sure that the S50/S60 fits in my pockets (in general I have pretty big pockets :) ). So, what about the cameras? Advantages, disadvantages?

-Tristan

Jake Conner
07-06-2004, 10:34 AM
The G5 has a faster lens, more zoom, and better expandability. At risk of further lightning bolts from CanonZeus, Jeff has told us that it will be updated in a month or two. Go to a camera store wearing your smallest pocketed pair of pants and ask to try out the G5. See if it fits well in your hands, as well as your pocket. If it fits, wait for the replacement. If not, get the S60.

Jake

Tristan
07-06-2004, 12:23 PM
Thanks Jake, sounds like a good plan!

-Tritsan