PDA

View Full Version : Nikon DSLR "Picture Of The Day"

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73

jemr
07-10-2008, 07:45 AM
Jemr, Which metering mode was that B&W shot taken in ?
It kind of looks like it was centre or spot metered...

metering mode: pattern

Which brings me to another question ... what do all these metering modes do???

herc182
07-10-2008, 08:07 AM

this can probably tell you all you need to know!

http://photo.net/nikon-camera-forum/00HFGL

Geoff Chandler
07-10-2008, 10:56 AM

I don't think you have mentioned what your camera is - I suspect 'Pattern' is
like whole area or 'matrix' in the case of some..
Spot metering meters just the very centre of the image and ignores the rest - helpfull sometimes with close portraits, centre weighted is similar - except a larger area and not totally ignoring the surrounding but biased towards the centre.

500mL
07-10-2008, 11:24 AM
i'd keep the d40.

Rooz, I would love to. But I'll be a D80 user starting today! Wooohoo I finally got one! :D

No, but seriously, if I wasn't financially tight, I'd keep the D40. At this point, there's no reason for me to have 2 cameras, unless what RawPaw mentioned, if I'm doing a freelance photography that would require a backup, I wouldn't have second thoughts of letting my D40 go. Maybe later on I can pick one up again cuz I know I'll definitely miss the compactness and lightweight body of it.

And for everyone that placed your opinion, I thank you and appreciate all of them. :D

jemr
07-10-2008, 12:51 PM
I don't think you have mentioned what your camera is - I suspect 'Pattern' is
like whole area or 'matrix' in the case of some..
Spot metering meters just the very centre of the image and ignores the rest - helpfull sometimes with close portraits, centre weighted is similar - except a larger area and not totally ignoring the surrounding but biased towards the centre.

Sorry about that, when I wrote pattern, I simply copied it from the properties. The metering for that shot was matrix. Btw I have a Nikon D60

truflip
07-10-2008, 01:08 PM
I was just at B&H Photo today and you're right, it's a lot cheaper now. The body by itself costs $729. Not sure when I'll pick one up. I want to keep my D40 as a backup but with a tight financial situation, I'll have to relinquish the D40 to get the D80. Also, what's your take about getting a used D80? I just looked at Adorama and there's one for sale for $659. Thanks for everyone that replied btw :)

If you're saving only 70$ to go used, it better have the original warranty, low shutter #'s and very mint. I've heard nothing but good things about Adorama (but I'm from Canada, lol) so you shouldn't have anything to worry about as far as post-sale service goes (if camera is bad and what not). I would try to keep the D40 for back up if I were you, but you know your money more than I do, so I think you can decide that one :p

Dread Pirate Roberts
07-10-2008, 06:38 PM
The one on the left is a MK1 without a muzzle brake so that would make it probably earlier than 1941 which would make it older than the guys firing it by a long way. I can't tell whether the one on the right is a Mk2 or MK3.

Thanks all. K1W1 you're a man who knows his gear. I'm impressed.
The commentator said the left one was used in Korea and the right one in Vietnam if I remember correctly. I guess we keep our hardware a long time eh. Bit like the Brittish flying Swordfish off carriers in WWII.

Love the shot of your folks Turo, I prefer your original exposure as they are a great subject and correctly exposed themselves.

Here's another from the weekend, only about 100 shots to get this one as they were more predicatable than the artillery.

josef
07-10-2008, 07:29 PM
Here's another from the weekend, only about 100 shots to get this one as they were more predicatable than the artillery.

well done.. i wonder how the guy in the back with the point-and-shoot cam did with the photo.. ;) probably not quite as good i imagine.

Turo
07-10-2008, 08:18 PM
Nice captures, DPR!

truflip
07-10-2008, 10:59 PM
Nice one DPR. I like how your camera handled the white pants. I think my D80 would've just completely clipped it ;)

Dread Pirate Roberts
07-11-2008, 12:47 AM
Nice one DPR. I like how your camera handled the white pants. I think my D80 would've just completely clipped it ;)

You're probably giving me or my camera undue credit.

I love aperture priority around about F8. So I set the apperture that I like my lens at but the cam handles the exposure. Not much different than full auto really although a purist might argue.

I used to have lots of exposure probs till the good folks here suggested I use matrix metering instead of spot metering. Since changing to matrix almost all shots are correctly exposed instead of almost all shots incorrectly exposed with spot.

It was a cloudy day (slightly backlit) and I'd upped the iso a bit to quicken my shutterspeed. No problems with my sensor (or the D80's) handling the available dynamic range. I did adjust curves in PS to increase the contrast.

truflip
07-11-2008, 01:23 AM
Yea, I'm still learning soo perhaps the higher your f/stop the less prone to highlight clipping?
Either way, you get proper credit since you obviously know how to use your gear to get the best results :)

I too read the same thing about the metering modes.
Matrix this and that. Doesnt work well for me :(
In fact, I get more than just clipping, I get this blue tinge around the clipped area
Here's an example:

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w230/truflip_2007/DSC_6591-1.jpg

It was shot at f/3.2, 1/50",
ISO200 with Matrix Metering (Pattern)
AV mode with the EV set to -1.

There was a window on the left sight but no direct lighting.
Just ambient stuff.
Any other ideas? :)

Rooz
07-11-2008, 01:49 AM
i cant see blue tinge there ? no exif either so hard to really make any suggestions. (if any are actually needed with that shot at all).

to pick up DPR's point here. spot metering didnt expose incorrectly. it exposed ONE elecment of the frame, (whatever you metered for), perfectly and disregarded the rest. that is the role of spot metering.

anco85
07-11-2008, 01:55 AM
Rooz, if I'm not mistaken, the blue tinge is around the rice and cup in the background

Dread Pirate Roberts
07-11-2008, 02:21 AM
The blue tinge was described around the blown highlight ie the mid and top of the ricebowl (the one holding sauce/drink) and I can see it. I reckon I can even see it around the rice in the salad.

To be frank I'm wondering if it's a lens aberation but as I'm a newbie I don't think I've earnt the right to criticise a lens.

I love your shot, beautiful composition, colours and DOF anyway.

Did you lighten the shot in post by any chance. As the shot looks well exposed to me as presented here yet you used matrix at -1 stop. I wouldn't have thought a Nikon would get it that wrong (a Canon could be that far out for sure but not a Nikon:D). When you adjust curves/brightness/levels in post it affects the colours preferentially and can introduce noticable colour casts.

I only suspect higher iso decreases the dynamic range, I don't know it. I have less white whites and brighter darks when I use it. I don't like high iso shots at all which is a real bummer when you're trying to photograph kid action shots with an amateur lens:(

faisal
07-11-2008, 02:22 AM
well done.. i wonder how the guy in the back with the point-and-shoot cam did with the photo.. ;) probably not quite as good i imagine.

Maybe he was playing it safe and taking a video... ;)

Very nice picture DPR....

Visual Reality
07-11-2008, 02:56 AM
The blue tinge was described around the blown highlight ie the mid and top of the ricebowl (the one holding sauce/drink) and I can see it. I reckon I can even see it around the rice in the salad.

To be frank I'm wondering if it's a lens aberation but as I'm a newbie I don't think I've earnt the right to criticise a lens.

I love your shot, beautiful composition, colours and DOF anyway.

Did you lighten the shot in post by any chance. As the shot looks well exposed to me as presented here yet you used matrix at -1 stop. I wouldn't have thought a Nikon would get it that wrong (a Canon could be that far out for sure but not a Nikon:D). When you adjust curves/brightness/levels in post it affects the colours preferentially and can introduce noticable colour casts
You'd be surprised...I have to use -1 EV a lot with my D80, even using Center Weighted. Indoors, mostly, but any time the light is less than ideal the camera just tries to expose too damn much and smears my subjects.

Truflip, the shot simply has a white balance setting that is too cool. If warmed up all of the colors should fall into place.

herc182
07-11-2008, 02:59 AM
I permanently have my D80 to underexpose by 1 stop. Usually always use spot metering too.
indoors and at night I try to remember to stop underexposing (and wondering why my photos are so dark :D). Also remember that if you slap a flash on there, it will underexpose that too.

Rooz
07-11-2008, 04:20 AM
nikon d80 exposes for shadows and therefore can overexpose the highlights a little. just like the xti exposes for shadows and underexposes a little. as stated above, normally -1 or -0.7EV does the trick. am very surprised that the shot blew highlights with -1 dialled into that...but you do have quite an uneven lightsource.

Turo
07-11-2008, 03:21 PM
The waters of Key west, gotta love 'em! Makes me wish I was swimming there right now...

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3172/2620424526_033cc7a296_b.jpg
flickr (http://www.flickr.com/photos/arturodonate/2620424526/sizes/l/)

XaiLo
07-11-2008, 03:47 PM
http://www.designsbyxailo.com/thepics/2008/07_jul/model.jpg

Turo, you and me both, I am going to be in Orlando next month but I don't think I'll make to the down to the Keys... good looking image.

truflip
07-11-2008, 05:26 PM
The waters of Key west, gotta love 'em! Makes me wish I was swimming there right now..[/url]
man, that reminds me of the philippines when i was still a kid.
my uncle took me swimming by a reef one time and i still remember that like it was just two days ago. THANKS for sharing a great photo!

sorry to go off topic a little bit...
to reply to the other posters.. yea, the blue tinge is around the clipped highlights which is the rice, sauce cup and some of the read bowl on the left. it could be CA i guess but I don't know. ALways thought those were apparently only in high contrasts (i.e. black against white or vice versa)

And thanks DPR, glad you still even like this one, lol!
I dislike it (mainly cause of the clipping)

I didn't lighten the shot at all. No post processing. This was SOOC and posted.
THat's to tell you that even at -1, this D80 can somehow manage to clip these highlights
As VR mentioned, I too sit around -7, -1 EV. Most of the time though, I don't have any issues.

My flash shots are actually way bright. I have to set the flash power to -0.3
Anyway, here's another shot in the woods late in the afternoon.
Very even light source from what I could tell. We were basically just in the shadow of the trees.

heres what I mean:

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w230/truflip_2007/DSC_7598.jpg
this shot's exif is:
50mm @ 1.8
1/100sec, ISO320, Matrix/Pattern Metering
It was shot using Av with -0.7EV

here's the location:

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w230/truflip_2007/DSC_7529a.jpg

I reduced the exposure in photoshop on the 2nd shot to match how it looked in real life.

TNB
07-11-2008, 06:07 PM
I was sort of bored last night so I figured I had to take a photo of something, anything. Well this was the outcome.

D200
10.5mm

jemr
07-11-2008, 06:38 PM
http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l95/jemr/Untitled-1b-1.jpg

Once again, was under exposed. I wanted to go for an ambient lighting, but had to brighten it up after. Somehow it looks great on my camera, but when I upload it to my computer, it's always under exposed...

Once again all constructive criticism is welcomed!

Rooz
07-11-2008, 07:00 PM
jemr, rather than check on the lcd, check the histogram. that will give you a far better indication on exposure.

LBGChris
07-11-2008, 07:04 PM
http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l95/jemr/Untitled-1b-1.jpg

Once again, was under exposed. I wanted to go for an ambient lighting, but had to brighten it up after. Somehow it looks great on my camera, but when I upload it to my computer, it's always under exposed...

Once again all constructive criticism is welcomed!

Definitely way too underexposed. Post all of your EXIF data for that image here. If nothing else, at least take your photos in RAW format so that you can edit the exposure without effecting your image quality. You should be shooting at a low shutter speed for that image. Consider getting an SB400 if you're going to continually do close-ups like that.

Cool flower though, keep taking em!

Visual Reality
07-11-2008, 07:56 PM
jemr, if it looked bright on your LCD than your LCD brightness is too high.

Go into your menu options on your camera and turn down the LCD brightness to get a picture that is more accurate.

Rooz
07-11-2008, 08:34 PM
Anyway, here's another shot in the woods late in the afternoon.
Very even light source from what I could tell. We were basically just in the shadow of the trees.

heres what I mean:

this shot's exif is:
50mm @ 1.8

pure white in the top, (or therabouts), and pure black hair, (or thereabouts.). so whats the problem here ? dslr doesnt have a good enuf dynamic range to nail that perfectly for every shade.

there is also a lightsource, (dappled light thru the tress), hitting her face and the top part of her jacket blowing the white. if the camera had exposed for that super bright white on top of her jacket, there would be no detail at all in her hair and it would completely blend into the background.

the other issue is that iso320 exaggerates that cos your making your sensor even more sensitive to light. so anything light is not only going to blow a little cos of the metering, but is going to be even worse cos of the sensitivity.

so you probably have 1.3 stops too much sensitivity to bright whites and due to that direct light source on the top part of her jacket, another 2 stops out...thats 3.3 stops. i'd say thats pretty much exactly what you blew the white by.

so think about this...drop 3.3 stops and you probably expose that white perfectly but you underexpose everything else. if that makes sense.

Visual Reality
07-11-2008, 09:34 PM
Well Rooz I don't think he should drop his ISO, as that means dropping his shutter speed...and at 1/100 already, he is entering into motion blur territory. He could have tried 1/60...but again...with a living subject, even something ever so slight (breathing, blinking, hair blowing, body swaying) can reduce the sharpness of the shot.

Though everything you say is correct. More ISO can oversensitize the sensor and make it easier to blow the highlights...I'm not sure you could do any better here, honestly. I think it's a good shot.

Rooz
07-11-2008, 09:58 PM
.I'm not sure you could do any better here, honestly. I think it's a good shot.

i didnt say it wasn't a good shot. i totally agree with you...i think its an excellent shot ! i'm just pointing out WHY the camera exposed like it did since flip was frustrated with it. ie: it is not a fault. also trying to explain the metering difficulties you can have with so many different light shades, (and in particular when one of them is a high contrast light), and even more difficulties in exposing it right due to dynamic range. (i would never have posted that shot saying there was an issue with it, cos i dont think there are any issues.)

you are right about the iso too. but again, thats the compromise to be made. do you risk making the cam oversensitive to highlights by upping the iso in exchange for a higher shutter speed to avoid motion blur ? i would say, absolutely.

if i had taken that shot and manually metered i would have done the exact same thing as the matrix did. sacrifice the top highlights to get the rest of the frame well balanced.

Rooz
07-11-2008, 10:10 PM
a pretty crap fly macro. not alot of options out there today. i hate winter. :(

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3234/2659560669_b4146c88c6_o.jpg

K1W1
07-11-2008, 11:14 PM
I was sort of bored last night so I figured I had to take a photo of something, anything. Well this was the outcome.

What is the scale and how big is it in real measurements?

TNB
07-12-2008, 12:47 AM
What is the scale and how big is it in real measurements?
It's 1/32d scale. About 2.5"x5.5". Attached is another photo.

K1W1
07-12-2008, 02:05 AM
That's one well made model if it's that small. Makes the photos even better.

rawpaw18
07-12-2008, 04:15 AM
X, that is very nice!

XaiLo
07-12-2008, 07:42 AM
rawpaw18, thanks I appreciate that very much:) trying out some new things on the creative side.

truflip
07-12-2008, 02:18 PM
thanks for the feedback you guys. I'm not sure what to say but i'll try and figure out my camera a bit more. I wasnt completely blaming the poor thing. I was just saying that I kinda thought it would've handled it better. I've taken shots in similar settings before (just not with a white top) and had little problem. Anyway, the photo I posted probably isnt the best sample anyway but yea. Thanks again!

Geoff Chandler
07-12-2008, 04:33 PM
Sorry about that, when I wrote pattern, I simply copied it from the properties. The metering for that shot was matrix. Btw I have a Nikon D60
Sorry - this relates to a page or 2 back - things can move quickly here!!
jemr - check out Imaging Reource's review of your D60 - it's very informative and should help quite a bit.
as fare as your metering goes - in your menu there are 3 options, as described before:
http://img.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/ND60/screens/ZZ_0698.jpg
Matrix is Nikons clever 3D colour system which analises the scene and decides how to expose - also cross refering to a 30,000-image database for judging exposure.
Centre weighted uses the centre area for about 75% of it's exposure calculation
Spot just uses a small area in the middle
check it out at Imaging resource
http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/ND60/ND60A5.HTM
hope that helps you.

Fiasco
07-12-2008, 04:38 PM
this shot's exif is:
50mm @ 1.8

WOW!! She's lovely!!

Jason25
07-12-2008, 05:55 PM
Been awhile, thought I'd post up one.

African Penguin with D200 + 70-300 VR

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3259/2661886167_fc2e418a4a.jpg

LBGChris
07-12-2008, 07:10 PM
Been awhile, thought I'd post up one.

African Penguin with D200 + 70-300 VR

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3259/2661886167_fc2e418a4a.jpg

LOL I didn't know there was such thing as an african penguin... but i guess because of global warming nowadays, the animals need to adapt to new climates! haha. Neat pic.

Visual Reality
07-13-2008, 12:39 AM
LOL I didn't know there was such thing as an african penguin... but i guess because of global warming nowadays, the animals need to adapt to new climates! haha. Neat pic.
South Africa has lots of penguins.

TNB
07-13-2008, 02:03 AM
That's one well made model if it's that small. Makes the photos even better.
It's actually a slot car. Never been used and I don't plan to use it. And tonight, it was another baseball game. In addition to the ball-on-bat photos, here's a photo of a breaking bat.

Rooz
07-13-2008, 02:12 AM
lol thats awesome !!

Geoff Chandler
07-13-2008, 06:29 AM
It's actually a slot car. Never been used and I don't plan to use it. And tonight, it was another baseball game. In addition to the ball-on-bat photos, here's a photo of a breaking bat.
Was this multiple exposure or are you just that darned good!!??
Nice one - I can't believe it!

Visual Reality
07-13-2008, 08:37 AM
Timing is everything ;)

Rasidel Slika
07-13-2008, 09:28 AM
And tonight, it was another baseball game. In addition to the ball-on-bat photos, here's a photo of a breaking bat.
nice grab!

Turo
07-13-2008, 09:30 AM

Wow, nice shot! Talk about perfect timing! Very cool :cool:

TNB
07-13-2008, 10:46 AM
Thanks for the compliments. Regarding the multiple exposure burst question, I do shoot baseball in continuous high but I rarely take more than two exposures since the camera is too slow compared to some of the others. For example, I usually either "hit" or "miss and miss again" while one of the guys shooting at 10 fps can miss, miss, miss, and then hit since his camera is twice as fast. As a result, I watch the pitcher and try to time the ball as it reaches the batter since I can't get those two extra shots in. I also have numerous photos were the ball is in the "zone" but the batter has missed or just not swung at the ball.

btuner
07-13-2008, 11:27 AM
sweet bat shot TNB

had a little photo "meet" the other night, snapped this one as the sun was going down
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3117/2657737185_b8671a555f_o.jpg

Calico
07-13-2008, 05:20 PM
Here is something a little different for ya

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w139/puckstop43/Various115copy.jpg

bgrablin
07-13-2008, 06:06 PM
I just lost my croc sandals too. So that makes this a sad photo. ;)

Aldor88
07-13-2008, 06:26 PM
Creepy, huh? :P. Had to use a small aperture as i shot this handheld.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3217/2665654186_bcf0fc81a2_b.jpg

JTL
07-13-2008, 06:57 PM
Here is something a little different for ya

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w139/puckstop43/Various115copy.jpgWhat lens did you use? I love the way the background is rendered...very Monet...

Great use of shallow DOF...:)

JTL
07-13-2008, 07:01 PM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3217/2665654186_bcf0fc81a2_b.jpgI like it a lot...I would put it on my wall...my kind of image...

TNB
07-13-2008, 07:16 PM
I like it a lot...I would put it on my wall...my kind of image...
To me, that photo looks like it came out of some horror movie. :eek: Another baseball photo from last night.

Calico
07-13-2008, 07:25 PM
What lens did you use? I love the way the background is rendered...very Monet...

Great use of shallow DOF...:)

I shot this pic with my D50 and a 70 -300mm Nikon lens cloudy day at the beach.

Rooz
07-13-2008, 08:35 PM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3217/2665654186_bcf0fc81a2_b.jpg

brilliant.

K1W1
07-13-2008, 09:23 PM
I like it a lot...I would put it on my wall...my kind of image...

Not me. I would be forever expecting to see the nine Ringwraiths come charging along that path straight at me.

It's a great shot though and very will pp'd.

LBGChris
07-13-2008, 09:38 PM
My tribute to Picasso...

500mL
07-13-2008, 10:03 PM
A couple of shots from my D40:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3221/2666117189_90267f2637.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3166/2661253089_d90d77b250.jpg

kjmdrumz3
07-13-2008, 10:52 PM
Taken on the kitchen stove (not "pure white" but thought it was pretty damn good for what it was!) bouncing my new (to me) SB-25 off the ceiling at 1/4. Just got a Sunpak 383, and got a set of Cactus V2s's on the way with a ton of rechargeable AA's. I can't wait!

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3182/2666294405_a14d5d83a8_b.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3106/2667116696_eff7bbe480_b.jpg

dxrocnxj
07-13-2008, 11:29 PM
heres one from the weekend
went to the catskill region in upstate new york

a nice escape from my multiple jobs and hectic life lately.
and a good chance to pick up my camera.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2412/2665718222_86b3e41e47.jpg

Aldor88
07-14-2008, 07:12 AM
Thanks for the compliments, its one of those shots you take on the way to somewhere, i wasn't planning to take it at all. Just sort of stumbled upon it.

Not me. I would be forever expecting to see the nine Ringwraiths come charging along that path straight at me.

It's a great shot though and very will pp'd.
Lol, what's a Ringwraith? Not much PP at all tbh :)

accord2003
07-14-2008, 07:57 AM
Thanks for the compliments, its one of those shots you take on the way to somewhere, i wasn't planning to take it at all. Just sort of stumbled upon it.

Lol, what's a Ringwraith? Not much PP at all tbh :)

I believe K1W1 is referring to the Nazgul in Lord of the Rings. The shot does give me the same effect. btw nice shot :)

RingWraith (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nazg%C3%BBl)

Camerajunkie
07-14-2008, 09:58 AM
Taken on the kitchen stove (not "pure white" but thought it was pretty damn good for what it was!) bouncing my new (to me) SB-25 off the ceiling at 1/4. Just got a Sunpak 383, and got a set of Cactus V2s's on the way with a ton of rechargeable AA's. I can't wait!

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3182/2666294405_a14d5d83a8_b.jpg

Well, you must have done a good job as my 2 year old is sitting by me making those yummy slurping noises saying, "I like does!" :D

Rasidel Slika
07-14-2008, 11:32 AM
love that creepy shot Aldor88!

anco85
07-14-2008, 01:45 PM
Reflecting back on myself, I've decided to try a semi-self portrait.

Going through tough times and feeling down, I believe praying is what gets you back up.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3205/2668294491_80cc0b7070.jpg

I hope you guys like it.

kjmdrumz3
07-14-2008, 02:03 PM
CJ- I was saying that when my wife was making them! :)
Anco- I LOVE the raw emotion in it. When I looked at it, it just took me to that "nothing is more important than family" place. I hope you get to feeling better!

rawpaw18
07-14-2008, 02:14 PM
Reworking an old photo while it is raining outside. Cannons at Fort McHenry done with 300 look plus tweaking.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3108/2668795682_658d5c93bd_o.jpg

craigyc
07-14-2008, 02:55 PM
Kool bird shot 500ml, was the background like that out of cam? or have you taken it out in PP?

Rooz
07-14-2008, 02:55 PM

Going through tough times and feeling down, I believe praying is what gets you back up.

I hope you guys like it.

thats a beautiful shot mate.

Aldor88
07-14-2008, 04:16 PM

I hope you guys like it. Nice phooto mate, i like the PP.

Calico
07-14-2008, 04:24 PM
Trying something new

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w139/puckstop43/Waves1031.jpg

D50 with 70-300 mm lens

500mL
07-14-2008, 06:05 PM
Kool bird shot 500ml, was the background like that out of cam? or have you taken it out in PP?

Thanks craig!

Well the background was just a clear blue sky. The bird was actually on a light post and half of its body was sticking out. I decided to crop the partial image of the light post and leave the bird's upper body shown. I figured the black and white would work better to show some mood rather than leaving a clear light blue background.

500mL
07-14-2008, 07:24 PM
Some test shots from my newly acquired D80. C&C welcome. :)

The Chrysler Building
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3173/2670034576_537bcd5741.jpg

Daisies from the Park
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3257/2669216593_ef1f2e1b54.jpg

Jason25
07-14-2008, 07:44 PM
Figured I'd throw one more out there.

Sacred Ibis via D200 + 70-300 VR

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3050/2661855607_6b6181a171.jpg

Turo
07-14-2008, 09:48 PM
Messing with the macro feature of my 35-70mm lens:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3152/2621444512_f2db10c3b4_b.jpg

flickr (http://www.flickr.com/photos/arturodonate/2621444512/)

K1W1
07-14-2008, 10:18 PM

I could point out that should some (probably male) viewers of this photo with a particularly one track mind could think that that image may have certain sexual overtones.
But I haven't noticed so I won't.

Rooz
07-14-2008, 10:38 PM

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3152/2621444512_f2db10c3b4_b.jpg

flickr (http://www.flickr.com/photos/arturodonate/2621444512/)

thats an odd colour breast.

toriaj
07-14-2008, 11:21 PM
Some test shots from my newly acquired D80. C&C welcome. :)

The Chrysler Building
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3173/2670034576_537bcd5741.jpg

Love this one, beautiful B&W conversion.

anco85
07-14-2008, 11:29 PM
Thank you for the comments guys.

That's a fantastic flower shot 500ml

herc182
07-15-2008, 12:13 AM

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3205/2668294491_80cc0b7070.jpg

I hope you guys like it.

Fantastic shot. Good DOF.

Dread Pirate Roberts
07-15-2008, 12:28 AM
I like your canons Rawpaw and your purple breast Truro.

Took the kids to our not so local "open plains" zoo. Darn I wish it was closer to home and I'd be going every day. The animals look so much better running around on 1,000 hectares.

Here's one of my faves from today.

anco85
07-15-2008, 12:46 AM
Thank you Herc

Geoff Chandler
07-15-2008, 12:47 AM
I like your canons Rawpaw and your purple breast Truro.

Took the kids to our not so local "open plains" zoo. Darn I wish it was closer to home and I'd be going every day. The animals look so much better running around on 1,000 hectares.

Here's one of my faves from today.
Certainly a keeper that one - lovely composition - so good of the Giraffes to comply for you!! Nice exposure too - excellent.

Rooz
07-15-2008, 01:31 AM
awesome shot DPR. where about is the open plain zoo ?
nevermind, found it. what else is there ? its not that far from the city. i might head out there when i'm in SA next.

ssil2000
07-15-2008, 01:54 AM
great shot Stephen!
Anco, awesome mate!
not much into purple boobs but nice shot never the less turo!
nice shot 500ml, i love NYC i wish i had my DSLR when i was there last :/

dont forget rooz, in adelaide 20 minutes is far!

I will be in sydney in september, anyone care to show me some local secret shooting spots? :D

Sergio

Visual Reality
07-15-2008, 02:55 AM
I could point out that should some (probably male) viewers of this photo with a particularly one track mind could think that that image may have certain sexual overtones.
Not sure what kind of women you have around there, but they aren't shaped like that around here...

anco85
07-15-2008, 04:17 AM
nevermind, found it. what else is there ? its not that far from the city. i might head out there when i'm in SA next.

SA as in South Africa or South America?

Rooz
07-15-2008, 04:27 AM
as in south australia. lol

ssil2000
07-15-2008, 04:27 AM
south australia :)

anco85
07-15-2008, 04:29 AM
Damn, would've been nice to someone else from the dark side here.

here it's just Canon this Sony that

K1W1
07-15-2008, 04:32 AM
Damn, would've been nice to someone else from the dark side here.

Complete change of subject and out of left field and all that.
Any watching the Tour de France?

There are a heck of a lot of Nikons on display amongst the Pros this year. Up till about two years ago it was probably 99% fairy cameras now the Nikons are very much in evidence.

anco85
07-15-2008, 04:37 AM
Well.. all the pro's were just waiting for Nikon to bring out an FX body, so it makes sense.

Would you drive a Volkswagen if you could get a Ferrari?

rawpaw18
07-15-2008, 04:38 AM
Not seeing as many white lenses at sporting events I have been to lately either.

I was Nikon when Nikon wasn't cool!

Turo
07-15-2008, 05:29 AM

thats an odd colour breast.

...not much into purple boobs but nice shot never the less turo!

I like your canons Rawpaw and your purple breast Turo....

Ok hahaha, now I feel silly for not previously noticing it looked like a purple breast. :o

K1W1
07-15-2008, 02:27 PM
Ok hahaha, now I feel silly for not previously noticing it looked like a purple breast. :o

Wow, I have just noticed that. What a neat piece of symbolism. :D:D

rawpaw18
07-15-2008, 04:33 PM
A little motion blur from the ball, but still thought it came out ok.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3017/2672565062_e31422e069_o.jpg

Calico
07-15-2008, 05:01 PM
A little motion blur from the ball, but still thought it came out ok.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3017/2672565062_e31422e069_o.jpg

WOW that is an awesome shot!!!!!!

Calico
07-15-2008, 05:02 PM
http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w139/puckstop43/DSC_0122copy.jpg

My pathetic little contribution

500mL
07-15-2008, 09:13 PM
Thank you guys for the comments!

I was able to snag a Nikkor 50mm 1.8D on Craigslist for $85! Didn't have much time to test it out to the fullest yet but I have this one.

1/80
f3.2
SB-400 +1 flash compensation

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3204/2673469862_139d2f74a5.jpg

LBGChris
07-15-2008, 10:38 PM
My tribute to Picasso...

Sorry for double posting, I was reallly hoping to get some feedback on this. How do you guys feel about this photo?

Dread Pirate Roberts
07-15-2008, 11:15 PM
LBGChris, I struggle to appreciate that one. Perhaps because I don't understand the context. The blown whites on the shoulders don't do it for me either.

Hopefully someone smarter than me will be able to give you better feedback.

Dread Pirate Roberts
07-15-2008, 11:24 PM

The zoo's well signposted but 61 km from the far edge of town. From the airport (or my place) it's about 1.5hrs drive since you have to cross town before climbing on the freeway. $30 of fuel well spent:)

From today at the botanic gardens

LBGChris
07-15-2008, 11:34 PM
LBGChris, I struggle to appreciate that one. Perhaps because I don't understand the context. The blown whites on the shoulders don't do it for me either.

Hopefully someone smarter than me will be able to give you better feedback.

Yeah I'm kinda torn between it... it is overexposed. Thanks for the honesty.

truflip
07-15-2008, 11:34 PM
I was able to snag a Nikkor 50mm 1.8D on Craigslist for $85! Didn't have much time to test it out to the fullest yet but I have this one.
congrats! let me know how you like it from f/1.8-2.5 :)

Geoff Chandler
07-16-2008, 01:47 AM
Rawpaw - I would be interested to hear how you did that photo - also the exif info would be of interest while you are at it - if you have it
It's a great shot - at first I thought it's gotta be a set up
brilliant

rawpaw18
07-16-2008, 03:42 AM
Sorry for double posting, I was reallly hoping to get some feedback on this. How do you guys feel about this photo?

Chris,

It looks like one shot turned into two by some kind of mirror program. I thought they were salt and pepper shakers at first. Are you looking for comments on the pp, lighting, subject or something else?

George,

I will clue you in later, off to work. Exif is always in my photos, just right click.

K1W1
07-16-2008, 03:48 AM

I assume that they are pieces of some large animated clock or similar. If so I would probably prefer to see a wider shot that showed them in context.

Dread Pirate Roberts
07-16-2008, 03:59 AM
Chris,

It looks like one shot turned into two by some kind of mirror program. I thought they were salt and pepper shakers at first. Are you looking for comments on the pp, lighting, subject or something else?

George,

I will clue you in later, off to work. Exif is always in my photos, just right click.

In firefox you can right click to get exif. Not so with internet explorer.
With IE right click the posted photo-> save the photo to your desktop
then go to your desktop and rightclick the photo
->properties-> summary->advanced

K1W1
07-16-2008, 04:03 AM
In firefox you can right click to get exif.

I can't. Have you got a plug in?

Geoff Chandler
07-16-2008, 04:19 AM
Nothing special -but I just liked the look of the bed.
Wisley, (one of my last shots with the Sigma 28 - 200)

Rooz
07-16-2008, 04:43 AM
I can't. Have you got a plug in?

geez, how behind are you old man ? :D
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/3905

Turo
07-16-2008, 05:01 AM
From today at the botanic gardens

Haha nice, I love that photo!

K1W1
07-16-2008, 05:05 AM
geez, how behind are you old man ? :D

Are you still here? :confused:

Rooz
07-16-2008, 05:09 AM
it was rigged.
i guess at this point it wouldnt hurt to say just how close i was to buying a 5d given the poll is closed and all. lmao

Turo
07-16-2008, 05:11 AM
I took this picture in Key Largo, FL. I liked how the foreground makes a sort of "frame" for the water in the background. Interesting thing about this photo (something I did not notice until I uploaded the picture onto my computer), if you look closely at the right side of the image, about halfway down, you will see a fish jumping out of the water. I thought that was great considering I did not mean to capture it!

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3258/2622458810_763af819ca_b.jpg

flickr (http://www.flickr.com/photos/arturodonate/2622458810/)

K1W1
07-16-2008, 05:13 AM
See I know that you are only joking there because the 5D isn't available in silver.

Rooz
07-16-2008, 05:16 AM
lmfao
touche !

LBGChris
07-16-2008, 08:42 AM
I really like that composition Turo. The fish is hilarious.

TNB
07-16-2008, 04:20 PM
Well.. all the pro's were just waiting for Nikon to bring out an FX body, so it makes sense.

Would you drive a Volkswagen if you could get a Ferrari?

Depends on the Volkswagen and on the Ferrari. After all, a Bugatti Veyron "is the quickest accelerating and decelerating street-legal production car in the world." :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bugatti_Veyron

LBGChris
07-16-2008, 06:12 PM
paint spatters

accord2003
07-16-2008, 09:32 PM
Another sunset photo

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3004/2632233277_8cccdd72f2_b.jpg

Turo
07-17-2008, 05:36 AM
Nice one, LGBChris! I love the colors! I love that shot, accord2003. I love the texture of the water where the sun is being reflected!

Fiasco
07-17-2008, 06:08 AM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3023/2670809754_c733d1fb5e.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/baresoul/2670809754/)

LBGChris
07-17-2008, 07:27 AM
Awesome beach shot accord. Can't wait to get some like that myself.

500mL
07-17-2008, 12:33 PM
congrats! let me know how you like it from f/1.8-2.5 :)

Truflip,
Haven't had the time to use it much. Work's been in the way most of the time, but when the weekend hits, I'll be shooting around and I should be able to give you a feedback on its IQ at f/1.8 - 2.5. I saw a topic you posted on flickr about it and I can't wait to see if that's a typical issue on a Nikon 50mm 1.8D.

toriaj
07-17-2008, 09:29 PM
This is in Sinks Canyon State Park, just outside of Lander, Wyoming.
I used my polarizer fader to darken the scene just enough to use a shutter speed of 4 seconds at f/22. I also used ahard line GND to cover the sun and part of the sky. I was at my widest focal length, 18mm, with my back against the back of a cave and the tripod set up precariously on those rocks you see in the foreground, only bigger :p The top of the cave is just out of the frame, so the sun was only shining between the top of the cave and the top of the mountain for a few minutes. I wish I had a super wideangle, maybe by Christmas :D

Edited primarily in Capture NX. I had used low contrast and high saturation in-camera and then increased contrast in PP to bring out the details.

18 mm, 4 seconds, f/22, ISO 200
C&C appreciated as always!

Turo
07-17-2008, 09:39 PM
Wow toriaj, beautiful image! I absolutely love the way the water looks running over the rocks. I am jealous, I wish I had scenery like that around here!!!

toriaj
07-17-2008, 09:42 PM
lol, you live in Florida and you're wishing for my scenery??
Um, ocean? Waves crashing on rocks? I hope to get to capture THAT someday ...
I guess we all wish for different scenery sometimes. But to tell the truth I was pretty excited when I saw this one. Thanks for your comment.

TheWengler
07-17-2008, 09:47 PM
I like that one Tori. Very nice. :)

Rooz
07-17-2008, 10:07 PM
i love 90% of that frame. the water/ pebbles and colour on the foliage to the right of frame i awesome.

i have no issues with sunflare or even direct sun shots. but imo the sun flare is just a little too strong in this one.

toriaj
07-17-2008, 10:10 PM
Thanks, Lukas!

I can understand that, Rooz. Unfortunately I had to take what I could get, 4 seconds with the sun in the frame was a long time! It was a tradeoff with the lighting and the silkiness of the water. But thanks for your comment, when are you going to do some landscapes? :D
edit: I didn't mean that snidely, I do appreciate your comment, I sincerely hope you do some landscapes soon too, it's about time your sensor sees something without eyes :D

Rooz
07-17-2008, 10:24 PM
why dont i do landscapes ? cos i suck at it. lol

kjmdrumz3
07-17-2008, 10:39 PM
Just picked up a couple of flashes and Ebay triggers. Haven't had much time to play but here I am! ;)

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3175/2679297972_133fe47159.jpg

Rooz
07-17-2008, 11:45 PM
fantastic. thats your first shot ? sheesh.
you pricks learn too fast. :p

kjmdrumz3
07-18-2008, 06:16 AM
fantastic. thats your first shot ? sheesh.
you pricks learn too fast. :p

LOL! Thanks Rooz. Yes, it was my first outing. Shot at night on my back porch.

Turo
07-18-2008, 07:57 AM
I snapped this picture when I was on vacation down in Miami using my D50 and 35-70mm lens, no pp except to add my watermark and frame. I tried to meter it so that I could get the glow of the sunset but at the same time not underexpose the foreground. It took me several attempts, since if I metered for the foreground it would wash out the background, or if I metered for the sunset then it would ruin the foreground. This is the best I could come up with. I put it on my flickr and have had mixed reviews, some feel the foreground is too underexposed while others feel it is well balanced. C&C are more than welcome!

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3114/2649148669_775a02f56d_b.jpg

flickr link (http://www.flickr.com/photos/arturodonate/2649148669/)

toriaj
07-18-2008, 09:11 AM
Turo, I didn't even realize you were a DCRP'er when I commented on your shot :)

I got similar comments on flickr about parts of the photo being underexposed. But IMO both our pictures benefit from the contrast in lighting.

And with a shot like THAT, you're still wishing for Wyoming scenery ??? lol

Xoote
07-18-2008, 10:41 AM
nice pictures

500mL
07-18-2008, 11:52 AM
Recent shots from my 50mm 1.8D.

Infinity
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3051/2678204885_96e4b55737.jpg

Thoughtlessness
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3129/2678205205_751ab9a54f.jpg

Turo
07-18-2008, 02:57 PM
Turo, I didn't even realize you were a DCRP'er when I commented on your shot :)

I got similar comments on flickr about parts of the photo being underexposed. But IMO both our pictures benefit from the contrast in lighting.

And with a shot like THAT, you're still wishing for Wyoming scenery ??? lol

I recognized your name right away since you use the same screenname on both :).

I agree about the exposure, I think both of our shots look better (to me anyways) with the mixed exposures like they are.

And I would still love to take some shots of Wyoming scenery! We don't have any 'natural' beauty like that around here! Except the beach, but that's about it.

LBGChris
07-18-2008, 03:19 PM
An entertaining carnival shot.

accord2003
07-18-2008, 05:19 PM
Nice one, LGBChris! I love the colors! I love that shot, accord2003. I love the texture of the water where the sun is being reflected!

Thanks Turo. I love the beaches you have in Florida.

Awesome beach shot accord. Can't wait to get some like that myself.

Thanks LBGChris. I can't wait. I am sure your beach will be awesome too.

accord2003
07-18-2008, 05:23 PM
Just picked up a couple of flashes and Ebay triggers. Haven't had much time to play but here I am! ;)

Very nice Kjmdrumz3. You are a quick learner !! :)

accord2003
07-18-2008, 05:26 PM
This is in Sinks Canyon State Park, just outside of Lander, Wyoming.
I used my polarizer fader to darken the scene just enough to use a shutter speed of 4 seconds at f/22. I also used ahard line GND to cover the sun and part of the sky. I was at my widest focal length, 18mm, with my back against the back of a cave and the tripod set up precariously on those rocks you see in the foreground, only bigger :p The top of the cave is just out of the frame, so the sun was only shining between the top of the cave and the top of the mountain for a few minutes. I wish I had a super wideangle, maybe by Christmas :D

Edited primarily in Capture NX. I had used low contrast and high saturation in-camera and then increased contrast in PP to bring out the details.

18 mm, 4 seconds, f/22, ISO 200
C&C appreciated as always!

I just love the silky water. I really want to buy those ND filters now :D

accord2003
07-18-2008, 05:27 PM
I snapped this picture when I was on vacation down in Miami using my D50 and 35-70mm lens, no pp except to add my watermark and frame. I tried to meter it so that I could get the glow of the sunset but at the same time not underexpose the foreground. It took me several attempts, since if I metered for the foreground it would wash out the background, or if I metered for the sunset then it would ruin the foreground. This is the best I could come up with. I put it on my flickr and have had mixed reviews, some feel the foreground is too underexposed while others feel it is well balanced. C&C are more than welcome!

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3114/2649148669_775a02f56d_b.jpg

flickr link (http://www.flickr.com/photos/arturodonate/2649148669/)

Turo

I think the exposure is right on. It really sets the mood. Great shot!!

Dread Pirate Roberts
07-18-2008, 10:47 PM
Love your shot Turo. It's not a democracy so don't worry if your feedback is 50/50. A lone comment from someone you respect is worth 10 from people you don't.:)

By way of comment I'd love some on the following. Adult commentary only though please - no typographical drooling.

I had no backdrop and had to live with the cluttered reflection. I find it very distracting but I needed a small aperture to get the reflection crisp.
My model prefered no sheet or backdrop anyway and since she was paying what could I do but follow instructions after offerring guidance.
Re lighting crippled by only 1 speedlight.
Where do you get decent backdrops, flashes and umbrellas?
Feedback possitively sought btw.

K1W1
07-18-2008, 10:56 PM
Next time insist that she takes her watch off.

rawpaw18
07-19-2008, 04:33 AM
Turo, I am in the definitely think its great crowd!

Chris, too funny. You could never tell he works at the carnival, just by looking at him.:)

DPR, Like the way the light highlights her hair, a little strong on her back though. Standard aussie bedroom suite have dancing poles? If she wanted no back drop then little things to help with the clutter would be helpful. Clean the dresser off, close the drawers, straighten out the bed and the watch as mentioned.

Rooz
07-19-2008, 05:01 AM
Love your shot Turo. It's not a democracy so don't worry if your feedback is 50/50. A lone comment from someone you respect is worth 10 from people you don't.:)

By way of comment I'd love some on the following. Adult commentary only though please - no typographical drooling.

I had no backdrop and had to live with the cluttered reflection. I find it very distracting but I needed a small aperture to get the reflection crisp.
My model prefered no sheet or backdrop anyway and since she was paying what could I do but follow instructions after offerring guidance.
Re lighting crippled by only 1 speedlight.
Where do you get decent backdrops, flashes and umbrellas?
Feedback possitively sought btw.

firstly, congrats on doing a paid gig. well done mate. :) and your first gig is a woman in her underwear on a strip pole ? lmao here's to you buddy !

ok, firstly. one flash sure, but there must have been a bedroom lamp there ? flash is not the only lightsource so look around for desklamps, bedside lamps, office lights etc.

at the end of the day the client gets what they want BUT i have found half the time they dont have a clue. why ? cos they have an idea in their heads about what they want to see and that normally doesnt correspond with reality. when i get in that situation i actually say to them "lets do it both ways." not that it would have helped you here cos you dont have a backdrop anyway !!

maybe try a different angle so you could have gotten her whole reflection in the shot ? generally speaking the model looking up at you is more flattering, so maybe you could have stood on the bed ?

in the circumstances you did a fine job. good eye contact. cant really do much here if she wanted it in the bedroom apart from maybe tidy up the clutter a little so its not so obvious in the reflections. but who knows...maybe thats the look she was going for.

congrats again man. :)

ssil2000
07-19-2008, 06:20 AM
when i get in that situation i actually say to them "lets do it both ways."

I bet you do!

JTL
07-19-2008, 07:47 AM
when i get in that situation i actually say to them "lets do it both ways."
I bet you do!Exactly! :D

Hmmmmm...just how well do you two know each other?

Aldor88
07-19-2008, 09:23 AM
On holiday in Åland, an Island southwest of Finland. Quite a tranquil place with loads of fields and old houses. Sadly the weather hasnt been the best.

Heres one shot I like.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3152/2680193659_e093d018ca_b.jpg

dxrocnxj
07-19-2008, 10:41 AM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3256/2682891034_3370f1da3a.jpg

rawpaw18
07-19-2008, 11:13 AM
Dylan and Aldor,
Those are awesome shots.
Could somebody post some shots that lower the bar next time.

Aldor88
07-19-2008, 12:32 PM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3256/2682891034_3370f1da3a.jpg

VERY nice! as always :)

Dread Pirate Roberts
07-19-2008, 11:03 PM
Thank you for the feedback.

I just had so much trouble positioning the model, myself and my flash in the confined space of a bedroom shooting towards a wall length mirror. I just couldn't get my head around the angles.

I realised later I should have been adjusting my shutter speed to limit the ambient light on the background. I was so busy adjusting the pose and getting her within the bounds of the mirror I forgot how to set my camera. Hats off to you people that do this sort of stuff for a living, there's just so much to think about.

I take your point about cropping too agressively to her reflected leg. I did shoot those extra pixels but cut them off in post to keep the image proportions and remove yet more clutter from the rails of the top of the bed. Even though she's got good pins I figured the agressive crop was even more flattering.

No standard Aussie bedrooms don't have poles, but unfortunately standard Aussie girls don't ask me to photograph them either.:)

Todays shot is from the same area Ssil and I took the photos in the joint photo shoot. http://www.dcresource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39972

Dread Pirate Roberts
07-19-2008, 11:05 PM
On holiday in Åland, an Island southwest of Finland. Quite a tranquil place with loads of fields and old houses. Sadly the weather hasnt been the best.

Awesome shot again Aldor. I'm so jealous.

Rooz
07-20-2008, 01:37 AM
I bet you do!

lol well...i asked for that i suppose ! :p

Aldor88
07-20-2008, 07:36 AM
Now for something a bit different :).

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3117/2684053624_196c24cf24_b.jpg

Original here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/aldor88/2682809309/

Calico
07-20-2008, 09:35 AM
http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w139/puckstop43/Pride08073copy.jpg

Took this pic yesterday w/D80 and 55-200mmVR/AF and Speedflash 600

C C is very welcome

Calico
07-20-2008, 09:42 AM
http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w139/puckstop43/Pride08003copy.jpg

How could I have gotten the bubbles to stand out more??

faisal
07-20-2008, 11:53 AM
Love that shot Aldor88....what is that place???

btuner
07-20-2008, 12:59 PM
Redbull Flugtag yesterday here in tampa, all i can say was that is was CRAZY

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3194/2684052376_172cfc1055_o.jpg

JTL
07-20-2008, 01:25 PM

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3117/2684053624_196c24cf24_b.jpg

Original here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/aldor88/2682809309/For me, it's almost perfect. I would have preferred the subject slightly off to the right...but you're the artist...and a pretty good one the that...;)

Aldor88
07-20-2008, 02:16 PM
For me, it's almost perfect. I would have preferred the subject slightly off to the right...but you're the artist...and a pretty good one the that...;)
Thanks, yea I would have liked the composition a bitt different but it wasnt possible as the rock goes into water just to the left so I went with a center composition.

TNB
07-20-2008, 03:17 PM
I took a rock photo myself, well sort of. The old train tunnels in the photo were the turn around point for a marathon ran last night. I used a red gel on an SB800.

toriaj
07-20-2008, 07:49 PM
This is the same river that was in my last shot (http://www.dcresource.com/forums/showpost.php?p=317301&postcount=6129), just higher up the mountain (and later in the day.) The little white person is my husband. I used my polarizer fader to darken the scene a little, but having the waterfall in the shade makes the most difference. I used medium-high contrast in-camera, and raised the exposure in PP.

40 mm, 1/1.3 sec., f/16, ISO 200
C&C always appreciated!

kjmdrumz3
07-20-2008, 08:18 PM
The best free safety in the game baby!!! I can't wait til kickoff!!!

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3023/2687971266_5a69af6cd8_b.jpg

JTL
07-20-2008, 08:23 PM
Thanks, yea I would have liked the composition a bitt different but it wasnt possible as the rock goes into water just to the left so I went with a center composition.There's always cropping...;):)

Really, really love the moodiness of it...

JTL
07-20-2008, 08:23 PM
I took a rock photo myself, well sort of. The old train tunnels in the photo were the turn around point for a marathon ran last night. I used a red gel on an SB800.Way cool...

Turo
07-20-2008, 08:34 PM

Whoa, cool shots! I like the color one a bit better, but they are both great!

I took a rock photo myself, well sort of. The old train tunnels in the photo were the turn around point for a marathon ran last night. I used a red gel on an SB800.

Amazing shot, I love the red lighting!

This is the same river that was in my last shot (http://www.dcresource.com/forums/showpost.php?p=317301&postcount=6129), just higher up the mountain (and later in the day.) The little white person is my husband. I used my polarizer fader to darken the scene a little, but having the waterfall in the shade makes the most difference. I used medium-high contrast in-camera, and raised the exposure in PP.

See, now shots like those are the reason I was previously wishing for some Wyoming scenery! Beautiful shot. I like your husband in the shot too, gives the viewer a nice "scale" to go by. :cool:

ssil2000
07-20-2008, 08:49 PM

40 mm, 1/1.3 sec., f/16, ISO 200
C&C always appreciated!

awesome. really really good!

toriaj
07-20-2008, 09:44 PM
Thanks guys, if you're interested, take a look at another view of the same falls over in the Waterfall thread (http://www.dcresource.com/forums/showthread.php?p=317721#post317721).

faisal
07-20-2008, 10:13 PM

very cool...Love the lighting idea and effect...

anco85
07-21-2008, 02:15 AM
Posted in the "Day of a Nikon user" thread

First real work shot from the D80. It's doing fantastic "in the field"
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3125/2685152738_1d85102ff5.jpg

Rooz
07-21-2008, 02:34 AM
thats a hell sharp panning shot, very well done.

Dread Pirate Roberts
07-21-2008, 02:55 AM
This is the same river that was in my last shot, just higher up the mountain (and later in the day.)

C&C always appreciated!

Whoa Tori, I think I'll take my pathetic little bat and ball (or in this case waterfall) and go play somewhere else.

That's a beautifull image, congrats.

anco85
07-21-2008, 03:56 AM
Thanks Rooz

Rooz
07-21-2008, 03:57 AM

brilliant.:eek::eek:

toriaj
07-21-2008, 06:21 AM
Thanks DPR, I enjoy your stuff too!

Aldor88
07-21-2008, 06:44 AM
The best free safety in the game baby!!! I can't wait til kickoff!!!

Nice shot ,I like the reflections.

brilliant. Thanks Rooz and others for the compliments...Someone asked what place it was and tbh i don't really know :). I just saw the beautiful light, grabbed my camera and headed out. Ended up there. It's some sort of 2nd world war memorial i think.

500mL
07-21-2008, 08:32 AM
Went camping this past weekend in upstate NY and I managed to grab some shots. More images posted on my Flickr account (http://www.flickr.com/photos/keen_brown). C&C always welcome :D Enjoy!

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3098/2686870742_5ff035fc51.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3028/2687325117_0b9aa1d65f.jpg

Turo
07-21-2008, 08:38 AM
Nice panning shot, anco85! I've tried and tried, but can't manage to get panning shots that nice!

Here is another shot I took while down in south FL vacationing. I took it at a funky angle so the entire image almost looks rotated to me.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3065/2649151195_a3100f1469_b.jpg

flickr link (http://flickr.com/photos/arturodonate/2649151195/)

btuner
07-21-2008, 11:23 AM
more from the Flugtag, Redbull skydiver

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3162/2683238339_a44e4ef1e4_o.jpg

Aldor88
07-22-2008, 11:07 AM
Here is another shot I took while down in south FL vacationing. I took it at a funky angle so the entire image almost looks rotated to me.

Nice shot, very clear and sharp.

Heres a motorhome i spent a few nights in last week, nothing fancy lol :D.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3263/2693465062_6af9008354_b.jpg

craigyc
07-22-2008, 01:40 PM
Nice pic aldor, I like how your pictures are so vivid! Are you using a polarizer or is it PP?

Just got my d40 back from Nikon finally! was gone for over a month!

Received my Cactus V2s while it was away so been testing it out. My gf was just holding the flash in different positions while I was snapping away and its really got me interested in the possibilities of wireless flash!

Here's one of the pics. I like how it turned out. She looks very moody lol

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3087/2693728378_2743a3da37_b.jpg

Rasidel Slika
07-22-2008, 03:40 PM
mmmmmmmmmmm

http://img92.imageshack.us/img92/2569/dsc0005700bs5.jpg
Image Date: 2004:06:15 21:55:07
Flash Used: Yes (Manual, return light detected)
Focal Length: 70.0mm (35mm equivalent: 105mm)
Exposure Time: 0.017 s (1/60)
Aperture: f/4.5
White Balance: Auto
Metering Mode: Matrix

esp
07-22-2008, 03:42 PM
I haven’t posted in awhile so let me start by saying there has been some great shots over the last few weeks. I was asked to shoot a friends wedding last week and after rejecting him 20 times I reluctantly said yes. I informed him that I am by no means a wedding photographer and tried to convey to him that a d40x with kit lenses is not the ideal setup for a dark church wedding. They did not have the money to hire a real photographer so I got the job. I was pretty worried about the results but so far they seem to be ok. I have just started going through and touching up the pics but here are a couple that caught my eye so far.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3247/2690888941_5fe5dfa180_b.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3285/2693326596_6bdd8f302c_b.jpg
The maid of honor giving a speech at the reception

jemr
07-22-2008, 04:51 PM
There are some amazing shots on here and I know I don't compare, but I'd still like some comments as I really do want to get better ...

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l95/jemr/DSC_0184_01.jpg

What would you have done differently?

Constructive criticism is always welcomed

JerBear
07-22-2008, 04:59 PM
Here's mine for the day...

rawpaw18
07-22-2008, 05:10 PM

Background is the killer for the shot, I know for candids you may not get to choose it, but there is too much going on here. Your at eye level which is always good for kids, can even go lower making them larger than life.
Don't be afraid to get in tight, real close.

Cute young lady btw.

Calico
07-22-2008, 08:34 PM
http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w139/puckstop43/LightRing044copy.jpg

My daily contribution

500mL
07-22-2008, 10:21 PM
Nice pic aldor, I like how your pictures are so vivid! Are you using a polarizer or is it PP?

Just got my d40 back from Nikon finally! was gone for over a month!

Received my Cactus V2s while it was away so been testing it out. My gf was just holding the flash in different positions while I was snapping away and its really got me interested in the possibilities of wireless flash!

Here's one of the pics. I like how it turned out. She looks very moody lol

Craigyc,
Congrats on getting your D40 back and Cactus V2s! I thought mine was long when I got it fixed for about 2 weeks :eek: but good thing you got it right back in one good working piece hehe. Excellent shot of your gf btw. Those V2s really come in handy and they work flawlessly with the D40.

Here's another shot from the camping trip. It looks so similar that I took from last year, except in different angle:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3040/2694313345_795f7fce91.jpg

Dread Pirate Roberts
07-23-2008, 01:54 AM

ESP I love the wedding shots. After giving them the caveat it's great you were able to help them out (and pull some good shots too).

Jemr, I don't think the child is tack sharp. I'd be inclined to adjust it slightly in photoshop or similar.

1stly I'd adjust "curves" to darken the darks and lighten the lights just a touch. By adjusting the dynamic range you can get the biggest change in lightness on your main topic and use less of the dynamic range for the bits you don't care about so much.

2ndly I'd give it a touch more sharpening using unsharp mask.

Just my 2c. It's a nice kiddie shot nevertheless and they don't exactly let you choose where to shoot them or even stand still long:)

Aldor88
07-23-2008, 03:15 AM

[/IMG]
Thanks, it's PP mostly. I do not have a polarizer yet but i plan on getting one. I do have the camera settings on vivid tho but i'm not sure if that applies on RAW anyways which i shoot these days.

rawpaw18
07-23-2008, 03:22 AM
JerBear,
I know it is not real manly but, awww. I am a sucker for the little ones, too precious.

JerBear
07-23-2008, 05:52 AM
I would propose that sappyness over a new baby is an accessible loophole in Man Law.

jemr
07-23-2008, 05:52 AM
Thank you DPR and rawpaw!

Turo
07-23-2008, 08:27 AM
I saw these guys playing chess and wanted to snap a picture, but it was pretty low light and I did not want to flash them (they were very concentrated on their game and I did not want to disturb them). When I transfered the image to my computer it looked pretty dark, so I went B&W with it and messed with the levels to get something out of it. I wasn't too crazy with the results:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3073/2649984002_7ddbe565ba_b.jpg

flickr link (http://www.flickr.com/photos/arturodonate/2649984002/)

anco85
07-24-2008, 05:00 AM
Great, now I'm hungry

http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/7149/55537251pi9.jpg

Geoff Chandler
07-24-2008, 03:55 PM
Great, now I'm hungry

Nice looking plate of food - inviting!!
What was the white balance? Warm, to make it look tasty??

anco85
07-24-2008, 11:45 PM
Yeah, quite warm as the food looked very dull under the fluorescent lights

RED_Partizan
07-25-2008, 07:22 AM
It's been a while since I posted here.
Stopped by the junkyard last night. Lots of adventure to be done there

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n288/piitaaqqat/caf%20photo%20thread/DSC_15840045.jpg

kommoner
07-25-2008, 12:06 PM
Hi folks,

I've been lurking for a bit but thought I would solicit some feedback. I've had my D40 for a year but am still pretty green in most aspects of photography.

First question? I'm pretty gun shy when it comes to upping the ISO at all because of noise fears. Can someone allay my fears or give me some basic guidelines, for, say, sports?

http://bearsincaves.com/images/20080724-DSC_0083.jpg
320 / ƒ5.6 / 300mm / ISO 200

Other feedback/post-processing suggestions welcome.

TNB
07-25-2008, 03:14 PM
First question? I'm pretty gun shy when it comes to upping the ISO at all because of noise fears. Can someone allay my fears or give me some basic guidelines, for, say, sports?
I've shot so much sports either indoors or at night that I don't even hesitant to use ISO 1600; however, a noise reduction program will probably come in handy--writing for the non-D3/D300/D700 users like myself. There are numerous examples in my Flickr photostream, especially the night time baseball photos.

Attached is a photo I took this morning in Utah--the uploaded file doesn't look as good for some reason. :(

K1W1
07-25-2008, 03:25 PM

Welcome.
Don't worry about using higher ISO. In reality you will be hard pressed to see any difference in pictures between ISO 200 and ISO 400 and ISO 800 will still produce great results most of the time. Once you get to ISO 1600 you will see a bit of noise but would you rather have a slightly noisy photo or no photo? Noise can be fixed with software it's a bit hard to recreate an image from memory.
Just go out and take shots and see what they look like to you. If you don't try you will never know what happens.
As far as the picture you posted I like it but I would have cropped it just behind the riders on the right so that the image didn't end with somebodies backside but instead with a little bit of space for the lead rider to be riding into.

rawpaw18
07-25-2008, 04:29 PM
Attached is a photo I took this morning in Utah--the uploaded file doesn't look as good for some reason. :(

Looks good to me, bet the original large is outstanding.

Calico
07-25-2008, 07:03 PM
http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w139/puckstop43/ThisandThat067.jpg

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w139/puckstop43/ThisandThat063.jpg

A couple shots from today. I am really having trouble learning this D80 and am starting to get frustrated. My D50 just seemed like it produced better pics. Any comments and HELP would be much appreciated. I purposely left the watermark off these so it would not interfere with your ability to judge the pics.

JerBear
07-25-2008, 07:04 PM
kommoner,

I like the picture but it would have been nice if you were able to take some shots as the cyclists entered the frame, leaving them an open place to move into on the right of the frame. (understanding of course that you can't control sporting events, but at least with cycling you have some idea which way they're headed)

JerBear
07-25-2008, 07:05 PM
Hey Calico, is that Torrey Pines?

Calico
07-25-2008, 07:06 PM
Hey Calico, is that Torrey Pines? yes it is:)

Turo
07-25-2008, 07:56 PM
My attempt at capturing a water droplet:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3013/2649987458_2e08671dc4_b.jpg

flickr link (http://www.flickr.com/photos/arturodonate/2649987458/)

Visual Reality
07-25-2008, 10:03 PM
Only 80kb...heavy JPEG compression. I bet the original is much better.

Dread Pirate Roberts
07-25-2008, 10:17 PM
Any comments and HELP would be much appreciated.

Calico I love the first one but I wonder if it could be a bit better darker. Is it a touch overexposed? The second one I would guess suffers from flat uniform lighting with everything a relatively uniform colour & brightness. I get the same kind of stuff shooting far away objects of uniform tone under cloud. Once the suns out it all comes up different. So maybe it's the scene not the camera or photographer?

Turo, I'm afraid the waterdrops on leaf leaves me a bit cold but perhaps I just shouldn't comment on anything after I've been drinking. I think it's because I find the backround distracting (big white splots and shapes) even though its nicely oof.

rawpaw18
07-26-2008, 03:33 AM
Turo, DPR is right on
I put a square crop note on your flickr page. It really is a nice shot removing the top.
When I was scrolling this page and saw it with the top removed it made for a more powerful image.

Turo
07-26-2008, 08:18 AM
DPR and rawpaw,

Good point! I do agree it looks much better with a crop, thanks for the tip! :)

Aldor88
07-26-2008, 11:31 AM
Had to get into the water for this one.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3078/2703713439_05e9a8fea2_b.jpg

Camerajunkie
07-26-2008, 12:08 PM
Aldor,

I REALLY like that one. Awesome color, I love the smooth, silky look of the water close to the camera. Cool stuff.

kjmdrumz3
07-26-2008, 04:30 PM
We are getting a Yellow Lab puppy in a couple weeks and walked into Petsmart to check out puppy stuff. Well we walked by this little kitty and even though I'm not a cat person, we just had to adopt her.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3053/2704401473_751bdf39c1_b.jpg

Turo
07-26-2008, 04:35 PM
Nice one kjmdrumz3! Pretty damn sharp around the cat's fur, with a nice shallow dof. I'm assuming you used the 50mm?

kjmdrumz3
07-26-2008, 05:21 PM
Nice one kjmdrumz3! Pretty damn sharp around the cat's fur, with a nice shallow dof. I'm assuming you used the 50mm?

Hell yes! Is there any other way? :D

Saleh
07-27-2008, 05:33 AM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3229/2617517863_6d2842bb97_b.jpg

my friends car while we was touring on saudia arabia sands hope u like it

Aldor88
07-27-2008, 12:04 PM
Aldor,

I REALLY like that one. Awesome color, I love the smooth, silky look of the water close to the camera. Cool stuff.

Here's a candid portrait i took of one of my friends. Its smaller seize as its uploaded on the JPGmag webiste.
http://jpgmag.com/people/Aldor :)

http://photos.jpgmag.com/885707_138846_4732c2bd2f_p.jpg

TNB
07-27-2008, 12:29 PM
Awww kitty. From last night. Personally, the ball looks a little too close for comfort, i.e. fingers. There are also a few "people" and other view photos in my Flickr photostream.

Calico
07-27-2008, 02:19 PM
http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w139/puckstop43/AAcopy.jpg

Just a little fly by

TNB
07-27-2008, 07:14 PM
Nice formation.

Dread Pirate Roberts
07-28-2008, 12:30 AM
Cool Calico, nicely composed.

Rooz
07-28-2008, 04:40 AM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3229/2617517863_6d2842bb97_b.jpg

my friends car while we was touring on saudia arabia sands hope u like it

great shot. very nicely exposed. given you've had a few difficulties with expsure before, you've done a great job here. the compositin is also excellent.

anco85
07-28-2008, 04:56 AM
It appears that the nifty was not as fast as I hoped. Had to use some flash to freeze the motion.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3120/2708080864_83a1b0cab5.jpg

Oh well, time for even faster glass it seems

Aldor88
07-28-2008, 07:32 AM
Nice photo anco, the use of flash is not visible at all.

Heres yet another photo from me, I got quite a backlog of images I haven't had the time to edit. Heress one i wa pleased to find :). Did some cloning to get one person out o the photo, guess where :).

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3212/2710583668_e69067efd0_b.jpg

anco85
07-28-2008, 07:43 AM
Great shot Aldor.

Re: Flash... You can see the flash on the bridge and head of the bass ;)

Camerajunkie
07-28-2008, 10:40 AM
I only dream of getting color like that Aldor. Awesome.

Aldor88
07-28-2008, 11:10 AM
I only dream of getting color like that Aldor. Awesome.
Stop dreaming, get out there and start shooting!:D

Seriously tho...The shots are right there, all you need to do is grab them. If i can do it anyone can, I've been shooting for less than a year.

Oh and thanks for the compliment :).

accord2003
07-28-2008, 11:58 AM
Stop dreaming, get out there and start shooting!:D

Seriously tho...The shots are right there, all you need to do is grab them. If i can do it anyone can, I've been shooting for less than a year.

Oh and thanks for the compliment :).

Aldor88

I too love the shot. I hope to have one like that one day :)

As for the extra person, is it the rock near the left tree. The rock looks like an hexagon.

Aldor88
07-28-2008, 12:12 PM
Aldor88

I too love the shot. I hope to have one like that one day :)
As for the extra person, is it the rock near the left tree. The rock looks like an hexagon.
Thanks, but nope thats not the spot :)

jemr
07-28-2008, 01:33 PM
Nice Shot Aldor

I say that the person was on the rock to the right.

anco85
07-28-2008, 01:50 PM
Trying something new.

What are they thinking:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3276/2711737134_06fb98db0b.jpg

Rooz
07-28-2008, 01:59 PM
aldor you're a goddam freak.

Aldor88
07-28-2008, 02:04 PM
aldor you're a goddam freak.

I hope you mean that in a good way :)

Dread Pirate Roberts
07-28-2008, 07:46 PM
Lovely image Aldor, can't spot the cloning either.

In case you were seriously asking yeah it was an aussie compliment and not obvious if English isn't your first language as a freak is someone who stands out as significanly different from normal (in either a good or bad way) - in this case it's clearly a good way.

rawpaw18
07-28-2008, 07:56 PM
Alodr, just awesome. Had to put my comment way down on your flickr page, the list is long and well deserved. Great job!

kjmdrumz3
07-28-2008, 09:30 PM
A few more of the kitten. We've named her "Blender" :D The first and second were shot with a single strobe through a white umbrella. Both were upper camera right, with the second positioned a bit behind the subject. Third was shot with avail light from a window.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3251/2712160305_0ae6402140.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3259/2712157205_2cb2d38d5e.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3197/2712159375_e240edf729.jpg

Camerajunkie
07-28-2008, 10:15 PM
Cute kitty! We have one that looks a lot like that. We named her Doodle. (We have another cat names Snickers. I had wanted to name the first cat Snickerdoodle, but was vetoed so I snuck it in there anyway, lol.)

Enjoy your kitty and your camera!

kjmdrumz3
07-28-2008, 10:31 PM
Cute kitty! We have one that looks a lot like that. We named her Doodle. (We have another cat names Snickers. I had wanted to name the first cat Snickerdoodle, but was vetoed so I snuck it in there anyway, lol.)

Enjoy your kitty and your camera!

Thanks....oughta be REAL fun when we get the puppy in 2 weeks and the baby comes in November :)

Viky
07-29-2008, 12:06 AM
Awesome shot Aldor!! Love it:)

Is this where u cloned?

Aldor88
07-29-2008, 07:35 AM
Cute kitten kjmdrumz3, i wish i had one as well they make such good subjects to photograph :D. Had 8 way back when 2 of our cats got kittens at the same time. Shame i wasnt a photographer back then, sadly we don't have cats anymore as we live closer to town.

Viky your partly right, I did clone on the spot you marked to the right but not to the left. At the right there was a man holding a leech on the dog, i had to clone he's shadow from the water as well :). I'm glad ppl have a hard time finding the spot, meand i did a goood job.

Glad you guys like the picture, I think i need to edit a vertical version of it as well :).

Turo
07-29-2008, 07:43 AM
I just bought a new car (because of gas prices), don't be jealous:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3080/2649156851_7c0cf256f3_b.jpg

flickr link (http://www.flickr.com/photos/arturodonate/2649156851/)

Runs on "human power". :D