View Full Version : Shooting backlit objects

11-12-2006, 10:29 PM
Is there any technique that I could use to get better pictures when shooting a backlit subject/object? The reason I ask is because I was shooting a flag the other day just before sunset, and I couldn't get a good picture of the flag without washing out the background. Is there anything I can do to lighten the flag more without losing the cloud formations in the back?

11-13-2006, 07:33 AM
If your camera has manual settings, set your camera some where between the two pictures' settings. Just experiment. You might luck out.

11-13-2006, 08:27 AM
Take two pictures at different exposures and blend (layer) them.

11-13-2006, 02:38 PM
What about fill flash? May not be an option though with the flag considering it is high and possibly at the limit of fill flash. Too bad the wind wasn't blowing that would have been a cool silhouette shot IMHO.

11-13-2006, 04:36 PM
Thanks for the tips guys. I'll try the layering method sometime this week and see how it works. Yeah, if the wind had been blowing it would of been cool, but oh well, maybe next time.

11-14-2006, 12:17 AM
Try post processing curves adjusting. I took the second image and adjusted curves.
If you take a picture with exposure somewhere between those two above, the result may be better.