PDA

View Full Version : ??? Document capture with Digital Camera ???

retlaw
11-27-2004, 08:52 AM
I am new to the field of digital photography. I am trying to find out which camera is best for document capture, photography, and short video, in that order. I do a lot of work with public records and need a universaly capable camera to get public documents and record our wonderful public sevants comments about people who desire access to public records. The order of my priorities are low light operation, document capture, high quality pictures, high quality video, direct down load, speed, durability, capacity of available memory media, battery life, accessories.

Remus
12-03-2004, 05:22 PM
The Casios have a really neat feature for document capture: The contrast is set way high, so text comes out, and also you can tell the camera where the four corners of the document are (or of any flat thing like a sign or blackboard) and the camera will "un-warp" it so it's nice and rectangular. But all that is something you can do in photoshop, so I would not let the document-capturing features be what guide you. Most cameras that cat take sharp pictures, can take sharp pictures of documents, which are then easy to post-process in Photoshop or the software of your choice. I have an FZ10 and do occasionally use it as a "scanner".

Most digital cameras (especially the aforementioned Casios) are not so great for video, though. Most digicams can record video at 320x240 pixels, at 15 to 30 fps, and the nicer ones do 640x480, 30fps (which is what your TV does). Off the top of my head, these do nice video: Fuji S5100 and S7000, Canon S1 IS and SD200/300, Sony P73, P93, P100, P150, W1 and T1 (and some others), Olympus C7000, Minolta Z3...

I hope that helps.

Remus
http://digitalcameraguide.blogspot.com

judge9847
12-04-2004, 07:19 AM
I am new to the field of digital photography. I am trying to find out which camera is best for document capture, photography, and short video, in that order. I do a lot of work with public records and need a universaly capable camera to get public documents and record our wonderful public sevants comments about people who desire access to public records. The order of my priorities are low light operation, document capture, high quality pictures, high quality video, direct down load, speed, durability, capacity of available memory media, battery life, accessories.
You don't mention your budget. Can you give some idea about that otherwise it's a difficult question to answer.

In the past I've been heavily involved with the process of document capture, tens of thousands of them, from detailed engineering drawings through to printed documentation produced with software like MS Word and so on.

I don't believe you'll get a consumer digital camera to easily do that sort of work. Some may tilt at it, and maybe the Casios make a good effort at it, I don't know, but I'd be surprised if they did it that well.

If there is any quantity of documents involved then you should consider using one of the professional agencies to do it. You won't be disappointed.

And just in case you're wondering, I'm not involved in that sort of work any more so I've no axe to grind, one way or the other. But you'll struggle with digital cameras trying to do a job they're mostly not designed for.