PDA

View Full Version : Canon or Nikon

Rhys
07-25-2004, 12:56 PM
I've currently got a shed load of Nikon gear. Loads of AIS prime lenses plus a couple of FM bodies and MD12 drives.

It seems that Nikon has sabotaged the D2 and brought it out as a D70. The D2 will work well with AI and AIS lenses. The D70 won't even meter with them.

It annoys me that Nikon should do such an underhanded thing in order to sell more expensive cameras or new lenses.

I am considering therefore whether I should go over to Canon since their cameras are 100% compatible with all the EOS lenses and best of all, are lighter in weight.

My goal is to have two cameras, one that takes film and one that takes Compact Flash.

Obviously my FM would do very well as the film camera. I'm not so sure how it;d work with Nikon AF lenses though. I'm a belt and braces man so I want the film backup - aside from which, one can do things with film that cannot be done with digital - and vice-versa.

I'm not sure 100% whether to go for Nikon or Canon. I know that my existing equipment has kept pace with inflation and is worth pretty much what I paid for it (good investment). I don't want to buy something that plummets in value like the Fuji S1 pro has - 2500 new to 500 secondhand.

My requirements are: good resale value, lightweight, compact, lenses compatible with those from a film camera. It'd be nice if one or both took 2CR5 batteries since I have a shed load of them.

This might be a long-term project as I believe I shall have a Canon S1 fairly shortly. It'll be very interesting to see how much I can do with an all-in-one almost SLR. Maybe it might just mean that a dSLR is put on hold until I feel I can't do more with the S1.

I note that the current crop of dSLRs are 6mp for amateurs, 11mp for professionals and Kodak's dSLR is 14mp (Kodak claims it's equivalent to film - sure which film? Pan F or Konica 3200 print?) With the rate of progress, I believe that dSLRs could drop terribly in price over the next couple of years while gaining in quality - maybe up to 24mp by 2006.

So, I'm not really sure what to do - whether to sell my Nikons and go for Canons or to sell them to buy newer Nikons. It seems that whatever happens, they're going to be incompatible with anything digital. My only dead losses will be the two Tamron lenses I have. I suspect I won't be able to sell them.

D70FAN
07-25-2004, 07:48 PM
So, I'm not really sure what to do - whether to sell my Nikons and go for Canons or to sell them to buy newer Nikons. It seems that whatever happens, they're going to be incompatible with anything digital. My only dead losses will be the two Tamron lenses I have. I suspect I won't be able to sell them.

I think you would be very happy with almost any dSLR. I know I have been a little sarcastic in the past, but honestly, anything but the D300 would really make you happy.

Sorry D300 owners, but it is just not up to the level of the 10D or the Nikon D70, and I think that Ryhs is looking for a really good dSLR at a decent price.

While the D70 won't work well with your current manual lenses, it might be time to move forward to some nice AF, and even DX lenses, and eventually VR lenses. Yes it is true that, in a few years, dSLR's might be cheaper, but an, APS size, 6MP RAW image should carry you through he next few years.

The Canon may offer you better future compatability, but the quality per dollar (or Pound) value is not the same. Try not to be sucked into the pro camera vs. pro camera hype, and evaluate the consumer grade dSLR's on their true merits. I think you will find the D70 on top of the heap.

Rhys
07-27-2004, 11:08 AM
I think you would be very happy with almost any dSLR. I know I have been a little sarcastic in the past, but honestly, anything but the D300 would really make you happy.

Sorry D300 owners, but it is just not up to the level of the 10D or the Nikon D70, and I think that Ryhs is looking for a really good dSLR at a decent price.

While the D70 won't work well with your current manual lenses, it might be time to move forward to some nice AF, and even DX lenses, and eventually VR lenses. Yes it is true that, in a few years, dSLR's might be cheaper, but an, APS size, 6MP RAW image should carry you through he next few years.

The Canon may offer you better future compatability, but the quality per dollar (or Pound) value is not the same. Try not to be sucked into the pro camera vs. pro camera hype, and evaluate the consumer grade dSLR's on their true merits. I think you will find the D70 on top of the heap.

Actually, you're probably right about the D300. it has some limitations. I could probably work within its limitations but I'm usually happier without limits.

I think I might wait a couple of months at least because by then the 6mp dSLRs might be knocking about for a lot less as the 11mp dSLRs become commonplace. The general trend seems to be downward with the new prices. It seems (with the compacts) to have been a case of the introductory price of the new model is midway between the introductory price of the old model and the final sell-off price.

I note that digital compacts are nearing the price of film compacts. I suspect that digital SLRs will near the price of film SLRs in about 18 months. As I shall have an S1 (tomorrow, I believe), that'll probably do me until such a time as I buy a dSLR.

I am drawn toward Nikon because I really like my FMs. They're something I can use - even without any battery power. I like the idea of having a film backup for my dSLR. Belt and braces :P

maximum.verbosity
06-26-2006, 07:19 AM
To answer your other question, most Nikon AF lenses will mount on your FM cameras, and work quite well (minus autofocus of course). Just don't expect to use any of the G series lenses on the older manual cameras, as the G lenses do not have an aperture ring (whether they are the low-end ones like the 28-80 or premium lenses like the superb 70-200/2.8).

I used to shoot with an FM and loved it; I have switched completely to digital, and now shoot with a D70s and I'm as happy with this camera as I was with my FM. They are both well-designed, responsive cameras, and if you want to shoot both film and digital together, this is a good route to take (I wish I still had my FM!).

coldrain
06-26-2006, 08:01 AM
Hmm, D300? Rhys has an XT, an EOS 350D. And if you actually read the things he all dislikes, you will know that he will actually NOT be happy with any DSLR, bar MAYBE the Panasonic L1 (but then he will not like the small dark view finder and no AA).

Really, Rhys' grumbles are pretty generic for DSLRs.

Jason25
06-26-2006, 10:21 AM
To answer your other question, most Nikon AF lenses will mount on your FM cameras, and work quite well (minus autofocus of course). Just don't expect to use any of the G series lenses on the older manual cameras, as the G lenses do not have an aperture ring (whether they are the low-end ones like the 28-80 or premium lenses like the superb 70-200/2.8).

I used to shoot with an FM and loved it; I have switched completely to digital, and now shoot with a D70s and I'm as happy with this camera as I was with my FM. They are both well-designed, responsive cameras, and if you want to shoot both film and digital together, this is a good route to take (I wish I still had my FM!).
Not sure if you noticed, but this thread is almost 2 years old :)

some guy
06-26-2006, 11:07 AM
Talk about a resurrection of an old thread! whoa! Interestingly Rhys is still having the dillema. May I suggest a P&S camera. It uses AA batteries and sux at high ISO (not your criteria anyways from your other post), great for an occasional shooter, lower cost.... :D

JTL
06-26-2006, 11:41 AM
That's because the dillema has nothing really to do with cameras! :eek: