PDA

View Full Version : How much is this thing worth??

pitaharmon
11-10-2006, 11:11 AM
I have a 650mm Century Tele-athenar ll ( I know nothing of photograpy) It looks like a 2 1/2 foot telescopic lens of some kind. It is old, it has a leather carrying case. I want to get rid of it but don't know what to ask for it. Anyone who can help, thanks.

Rhys
11-10-2006, 11:28 AM
I have a 650mm Century Tele-athenar ll ( I know nothing of photograpy) It looks like a 2 1/2 foot telescopic lens of some kind. It is old, it has a leather carrying case. I want to get rid of it but don't know what to ask for it. Anyone who can help, thanks.

A quick search on google produced this: http://medfmt.8k.com/third/table1.txt
century p 300 3.2 78 $950 $2,462 manual tele athenar II (T-mount)
century p 385 4.5 77 $625 $1,731 manual tele athenar II (T-mount)
century p 500 4.5 78 $1,450 $3,758 manual tele athenar II (T-mount)
century p 500 5.6 78 $650 $1,685 manual tele athenar II (T-mount)
century p 650 6.8 83 $675 $1,118 manual tele athenar II (T-mount)
century p 1000 8 78 $1,750 $4,536 manual tele athenar II (T-mount).

It appears to be a T-Mount lens. Is an aperture range marked on it? If so, what is the smallest number? f4, f5.6, f8, f11?

It's not likely to be worth a tremendous lot right now BUT... It's a lens from the 1960s/1970s SO in about 5/10 years it would well accrue in value as it will be an antique.

From the website:

Century Precision Optics is another top quality third party lens maker of tele-athenar telephoto lenses for 35mm SLR camera mounts. They are better known to the folks in Hollywood using 16mm and 35mm movie cameras. But their fast glass has a following among wildlife and sports photographers who feel the need for speed.

As a taxpayer, you probably won't be surprised to hear that these lenses sometime turn up on surplus lists from the Dept of Defense. The increasing availability of fast APO glass lenses from third party makers like Sigma and Tamron is also offering photographers a cost-effective alternative. Still, it is nice to see that an American manufacturer of 35mm optics continues to exist, albeit in a niche fast telephoto market.

pitaharmon
11-10-2006, 12:36 PM
one of the numbers on it say 6.8f
how much would you sell it for? I got it for free so I don't need to get my money back for it or anything...thanks for answering so quickly...I appreciate it.

polaski
02-19-2007, 03:01 PM
As shown above, these are classic old lenses originally designed for movie cameras. The most common lens mount is for 16mm film cameras (remember I said "old"). They are called variously Arri, Bolex (brand names) or a more generic "C" mount

Some were made to take a T-mount that would allow use on a 35mm single lens reflex camera. I have one in 300mm. I paid $127 for it a few months ago.

A good thing about these lenses is that they are very fast, with wide maximum apertures. Negatives include long, heavy, and a long focus travel. Also, minimum distance is pretty far out there compared to modern lenses.

I you are interested in what kind of mount it is, measure the thread mount at the back of the lens. Post it here, and I'll try to compare it with some data I have on C and T mounts.

I'm not neutral here -- if it's a T-mount, I'd be interested in buying it.