PDA

View Full Version : Camera not recognizing memory card after reformating

hansi
11-09-2006, 02:01 PM
After downloading my pictures from the SD memory card to my computer, via the USB port, I reformatted the card. I thought that would be a quick way to erase it.

Now the camera no longer recognizes the card, giving the message that no card is inserted. I know the card is still good, since it works in the computer USB port as a removable disk--I can use it to store and retrieve files just fine.
But the camera does not recognize the card.

I am guessing there must be a special way to reformat the card--i.e., restore it to the way it came from the SD manufacturer. But the reformat command via the computer does not do it.

Does anyone know how to fix/reformat the card so the camera will recognize it?

tim11
11-09-2006, 03:29 PM
You should reformat the card with the camera, not the computer.
I'd say the computer leave different file structures on the card that the camera can't recognise.

You can delete the image with the computer.

Honest Gaza
11-09-2006, 08:26 PM
Not sure if this will work, but had a similar episode with a memory card from a PDA.

Assuming that the camera cannot recognise the file structure (tree) that was created when formatting the card from the PC...try replicating the correct structure.

That is, if you have another card, put it in the camera and format it in the camera. Then plug it into your PC card reader, and note what the file structure is.

Once you have done this, put the "suspect" card in the card reader and create the same directories, via the PC, that are on the working card.

Hopefully, this will then work in the camera.